Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 2:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goes back to what I said earlier. You get these huge guys who have been able to **** with people because of their size.

I watched most of the videos and stopped. What the **** kind of defense are you teaching that woman? How to keep your hands in a position to help your attacker?

WTF?

Like I said surround yourself with smaller people so you don't have to respect their techniques.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:06pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's worse than I thought.

Watch "kel's firsty spar"

Monk gets hoisted and thrown by a noob half his size. I mean HOISTED.

In the history of the universe...no one has ever thrown me on their first day. Not unless they had other experience.

I've watched them all now. I am only more horrified by what I've seen than I was before. Monk, you are going to get someone hurt. Please stop. You are tossing around girls half your size and you have no control. You are attempting to throw and suplex dudes half your
    size. in half these videos you or one of your victi--er--students are winging each other around by the necks with no clue whatsoever what they are doing.These people don't know how to take these falls, they don't know how to protect themselves, and they don't know enough to tell you to **** off. AND YOU DON'T KNOW ENOUGH TO TEACH THEM.

This childish, ego-driven adventure of yours is dangerous. People with 100 times your experience get injured everyday training hard. Why don't you all go as a group and take a kickboxing class, or something else? If there was one person there with some decent experience to help you guys...I would give you a pass on the "training group" clause and call it a day.

But it's the inept leading the ignorant right now. Sorry to get personal and confrontational. Not typically my style. But the evidence of my eyes is scaring the hell out of me.

Get real training. You will be happier if you do.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:26pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there,

First, it's good that you're sparring and trying things out against resistant partners. However, as a big guy (or a former big guy, depending how you look at it), I'd like to caution you against some things. You don't have to listen to me, I'm just a guy on the internet.

If you're big, and you're fighting little people, it's easy to think you're much better than you are. Then you go fight people in your weight class and you get demolished, because some of the things you think you 'know' are not really valid. This kind of relates to the whole "I can take a hit, so I can fight with my hands down" thing. I'm willing to believe that you can take hits from smaller people and perhaps people who are not very well trained. I do believe, however, that if you were to fight someone your size, you might rethink your philosophy. I mean, I can relate. I was a pretty big guy, and I used to think "Eh, I'd do OK in a fight." Then I went to judo and a guy half my size threw me and started choking me with my own arm. I had to rethink things.

This is doubly true if you are an aggressive big guy fighting newbies. You can get a lot out of just attacking (even with bad attacks) against new people, because you are attacking and they are thinking "Wha! Whoa! Hey!" and freezing up. Unfortunately, this will not work against experienced fighters. If your technique is poor, you will pay for it when you fight someone who knows what he is doing, because he won't be intimidated by your attacks, and meanwhile, you've left yourself wide open.

The second thing is this: My BJJ instructor insists that we react appropriately _even during drills_. This means that if one guy is practicing a scissors sweep, the guy being swept tucks his elbows in and gets ready for the elbow escape. He does not let his arms flop out to the sides, even though this is a drill and there is no chance that the other guy will chortle, grab an outstretched arm, and go right into ude gatame. I think this is a very good thing. It's about building habits. A lot of the things that martial artists do are arbitrary. But a lot of them are there for a reason, too. Don't discard one confusing it for the other.

The other thing is about teaching. If you're just bigger than the other person and you can beat them sparring, it doesn't mean your technique is better, or even good. Teach it only if you really /know/ it. I've been doing Judo for years, and I only really feel comfortable teaching o-soto-gari. Don't ask me about seio-nage. I know vaguely how to do it, I can do the motions, but I'm a tall guy, I don't really use it, and I'm not the one you should be asking.

I don't know you, so take it for what it's worth. If you don't, I'd advise trying to fight people your size, or people who are better than you. I know you said it on your webpage, but you don't really have any videos of it that I've seen. Do you still train? Or do you just teach now?

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Whether you agree with the semantics of "Vampire fetish" or not, the only one who DOESN'T think you have one is you.
    Lol. Dr. Van Scrapper just nailed a wooden stake thru the heart of Count Korrectula.
    Last edited by Zendetta; 8/14/2007 3:46pm at .
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scrapper is very much correct scybermonk, and I desperately hope that you are going to listen to him, although I am confident that you wont. What you are doing is going to get these people hurt, from what I am seeing you have only worsened their chances of defending themselves in a real confrontation. This alone would be bad enough, however you have gone a step further and put their health in danger just training with you at your class. Please stop before someone else has to pay the price for your lack of training.

On a personal note, I think your self applied title of sensei is just plain old fashioned disgusting. This is a title that a lot of legitimate martial artists work very hard for, and it is plain as day that you have not even come close to earning it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    But it's the inept leading the ignorant right now. Sorry to get personal and confrontational. Not typically my style. But the evidence of my eyes is scaring the hell out of me.

Get real training. You will be happier if you do.
    It is about time to get personal. For instance, after watching the three examples of you attacking new students on the prior page, I have a uncontrollable want, no NEED, to knee ride your neck until I have forced all of the ego from your fat head.

In seven-eight pages of posting your evasive shite you have failed to answer any of Scrapper's very legitimate questions.

What are you actually teaching those girls in the vids posted?

Self confidence?.......um, no.......

How to defend themselves against a bully twice their size?.......um, **** no............

How some jackass who labeled himself as a "fight instructor" can dance like an idiot effectively mocking his opponent who admittedly has NO fighting ability and is a girl half his size?.......um, yeah, that seems about right.

You are a jackass. What you are teaching, at every single range of combat, is crap. Here, like Scrapper, I will help you out with the answers to those questions and offer my own open challenge.

1. What is my experience? Dantor Ryu Jujitsu (4 years) - Brown Belt; Brazilian Jiu-jitsu/Submission Grappling (American Top Team, 1 year) - Blue Belt.

2. My instructors? Daniel Torres - 8th Degree Black Belt (Ju Kido Kai Ryu); Paul Rodriguez - Pro-fighter with American Top Team (UFC; Pride; Pancrease, etc) and a BJJ Brown Belt under Ricardo Liborio; Fabian (forgot his last name) BJJ Brown Belt under Marcio Simas.

3. Competitions? NAGA, Atlantic Cup, and some small local tourneys - all grappling both gi and no-gi.

4. Can I teach? Yes, I can help instruct (i.e., instructors dummy) on BJJ basics.

See, it is that easy.

Now if you happen to be anywhere near Florida at anytime in the future contact me on this site through this thread or via PM and I will provide mat space at ATT Orlando for you to test your fight theories. FYI - I am 6'3" and 205lbs.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 8/14/2007 3:55pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yeah, also, the pilates club called and they want their shitty mats back.

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, maybe you all would be interested in hearing from someone who's sparred Monk. Maybe not. Either way, here I am posting.

A wee bit of background: I trained for about two years in ITF TKD, dabbled in Karate on and off (mostly off) for a few years, and played a bit with Hapkido. I'm out of practice and out of shape, and at my best I was never qualified to be any sort of expert on Martial Arts.

I don't like The Grill's philosophy. It's too vague, and reeks of laziness. I've bitched endlessly to the other main instructor about this. I hate the concept of firsty spars, which are almost entirely useless other than a marketing gimmick. I could probably write a novel on all the things that are idiotic about firsty spars ... but that's not the point of this post. The ranking system and “why they don't have one” is entirely bullshit, because they do have a ranking system. Just because they aren't wearing pretty (or not so pretty) belts doesn't mean they aren't delineating between levels.

That all being said, I understand what The Grill is trying to go for. Simply put, they want effective fighting. Who gives a **** about cage fighting or point fighting? That's not how it goes down in a dark alley. They want you to move as naturally in fighting as you do walking about, which is why the focus is so heavy on sparring. They "don't" have a ranking system because it doesn't matter if someone gives you a symbol of what they think you can do. What matters is what you can do. Firsty spars are used under the premise that it gives the instructors and participant a chance to learn their fighting style – yet, at that level, very few people know their style. They come down harshly on traditionalism because they do not want people stuck in a rut.

Personally, I think the Grill needs to take a hard look at itself and go back to basics and rebuild slowly. Matter of fact, I'm being pretentious enough that I'm trying to do just that with Monk's counterpart instructor. The basic idea of the Grill is still good – just everything surrounding it contradicts it. You can't just heap crap on a good base and hope it ends up okay. There are so many things that are absolutely essential to good instruction that the instructors have overlooked.

The mission statement of the Grill, summed up in one line, is solid - “To foster real Martial growth, using real methods, in the real world.” That doesn't seem to be extending to a single aspect of the Grill in practice, though. I think the instructors need to strip the Grill down to that sentence, make a bunch of big ass posters with that sentence, and have that sentence always right in front of your face when developing any and ALL aspects of The Grill. On that note – any quibbles with their mission statement?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easy, go find a school / gym with real teachers, you ignorant fucktards.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 4:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That all being said, I understand what The Grill is trying to go for. Simply put, they want effective fighting. Who gives a **** about cage fighting or point fighting? That's not how it goes down in a dark alley. They want you to move as naturally in fighting as you do walking about, which is why the focus is so heavy on sparring. They "don't" have a ranking system because it doesn't matter if someone gives you a symbol of what they think you can do. What matters is what you can do. Firsty spars are used under the premise that it gives the instructors and participant a chance to learn their fighting style – yet, at that level, very few people know their style. They come down harshly on traditionalism because they do not want people stuck in a rut.
    This legendary cage **** you bring up doesn't exist. Quit trying to make the cage into a separate Martial Art. It isn't.
    Sport vs TMA doesn't exist except in the mind of delusional idiots. Everything that works in the ring works in the street.

The Cage, Ring, Mats etc. are testing grounds for your Martial art.
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast