Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh, the question of my past training. Been waitin' fer this one. I'ma tell you the very same thing I have told everyone else. Certificates can be faked, webmasters bribed, and belts purchased (which has been the subject of MANY a discussion here, as I recall.). If you wish to know what my fighting abilities are, then fight me now....as you cannot fight me in the past. What I have done has shaped what I am doing, and that's pretty much all the answer I'm willing to give. False pride is built on pedigree, and last I checked, I'm not a dog. I am not good purely because of who trained me, or what I trained in. I'm good because I'm good, period. You, just like everyone else thus far, have judged the school based on green student sparring. Try to avoid that.
    I think it's great that you're getting out there and hitting each other. I looks like fun, and I wish I were doing it (well, hitting people, anyway).

But your case is a bit weak. This is the internet. Most posters can't fight you. But they can show videos (which in your case aren't helping) and speak of their accomplishments. This enables others to get a sense of what you've learned, and what you're in a position to teach (because ordered, well-designed training regimes are more effective and efficient that piecemeal scrapping).

It's easy. Look: I have a black belt in Goju-Kai Karate, and I've done six months of Aikido, fencing and Tai Chi. I've used Karate on occasion to defend myself, and did OK. But a year of Judo and some Kyokushin would've been more helpful. Anyway, when I took up Judo, I hurt myself pretty badly, and had to stop.

Now, Scrapper is a much more experienced Judoka, fighter and is in much better physical condition than me. I don't have to say 'come and fight me Scrapper, we'll see how good you are' - it's patently obvious that he has the skills, the fitness and the will to maul me. I realise this lacks an immediate empirical basis, but it's as close as you'll get on the internet - a swag of evidence that Scrapper is a superior fighter, and in very good position to teach.

You've shown videos of some dubious sparring, and you won't say what you've trained in. This combination is very bad for your credibility.

And no, I won't fight you. I have enough void in my life, and I'm too injured.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:09pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What part of Michigan are you going to be in?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I have no real idea what part of michigan he frequents I know that he spends time in the bowling green/toledo, so i`m guessing around there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:25pm

Style: Way of the Void

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is Calgary in relation to Ohio/Michigan? As stated, I am looking at October, gonna be there for two weeks, and I am more than willing to meet up with and throw down with anyone I can get my mitts on. It will be wonderful to really spar with someone again. And no, I couldn't do Clagary on a weekend, I work on Saturdays and teach on Sundays. I won't be doing either of thos things while I am in the States, so my time is a bit more playable.

I have explained the sparring video's, more than once. Not gonna bother doing it again, my responses won't be a whit different than they have been. If you want to rag on admittedly low skilled students who train once a week, you go right ahead. Not sure what yer hopin' to accomplish, but hey. And...if you know anyone local to here, send em my way.

I have the 'nerve' to do what I do because I see the entirety of the class. I see the improvements from week to week, and because, simply put, those I have sparred with...have lost.*shrug* I have the nerve because no one has beaten it out of me yet. And frankly? If they did? I would be happier than a New Zealander in a sheep.

I fail to see how saying I am good is exaggerating my skills. I didn't say that fitghting fitness wasn't relevent, just that I carry a spare tire. And, lastly, SCRAPPER....simply because my lifestyle is a bit different to yours, and that I choose to be on sites that exemplify this, does not mean I have a 'fetish'. Dictionary.com can help you out with the definations of words, if you need it. And, I think you shot your own argument in the foot. What part of 'goofing off' was somehow unclear to you? We had the coats, he had a nifty little quasi-industrial spot next to the dojo, we decided to have some fun. 'Goofing off'. Read the words, please. They're there for a reason. Also...If you notice, I said it looks off balance. I also said I don't care how it looks. It works.

No one endorses me. Nor have I looked for it, really. I, personally, could care less about endorsement. I fail to see why I need outside validation...though not having to spend money from my own pocket would be nice, but that's about it.

My qualifications are me. Pure and simple. And I don't really care if you write me off for it. Eventually, I will get into a throwdown, and we'll see how well my system works, if at all. THis is also my response to whom I trained under.

I have not yet competed in any. Not because I am teh deadly, but because I simply haven't done it. But, I will promise you this...when I go home, I will begin looking for local MMA tournaments to participate in. Fair?

As for my HORRIBLE mispronuncation...I never claimed to speak the language properly.

If I missed something that really needs addressing, feel free to repost that part of it, I am on my lunchbreak at work, so I wasn't able to get everything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:28pm

Style: Way of the Void

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lastly....Ann Arbor is my usual haunting area. As well as Toledo/Michigan. Exeunt!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:46pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyberMonk
    No one endorses me. Nor have I looked for it, really. I, personally, could care less about endorsement. I fail to see why I need outside validation...though not having to spend money from my own pocket would be nice, but that's about it.

My qualifications are me. Pure and simple. And I don't really care if you write me off for it. Eventually, I will get into a throwdown, and we'll see how well my system works, if at all. THis is also my response to whom I trained under.

so your saying that just because you say your good thats all there is to it.

Well you know what I am an awesome surgeon ...I won't show you any creditinals because my word is good enough.

So do you think you would trust me to operate on you.

Its the same thing ..you "teach" these people stuff that you have made up and they believe you when you say that this will protect you.

You may not see it but that is not only immoral but unethical as well. What will you do if/when one of your students gets seriously hurt or god forbide killed from trying to defend themselves with the stuff you are showing them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 10:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 minutes of Google searching found this place in Brisbane:

http://uqbjj.wordpress.com

The club address is here:

http://uqbjj.wordpress.com/about-the-club/

Advance Martial Arts might be a good place to find out if your fighting skills are any good.

I am not affiliated with them, and I know nothing about the club aside from what I found from an Internet search.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 10:48pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ScyberMonk, I'm on the Gold Coast. That's about an hour by train or via car for you. If you are interested in entering MMA competitions, I can put you in touch with a promoter here on the Gold Coast.

If you are ever out this way, and want to spar with someone, I'm also available. I met with a few Aussie Bullshido Bullies down at Sydney about two weeks ago, and we had a great time. I'm sure they could vouch for my capability and sincerity.

Personally, I don't really have anything to prove/disprove. If we do spar, I would prefer to do so in a structured way - i.e. in a gym/club - either in the ring or on the mat, and wearing the appropriate equipment (i.e. mouth guard, groin guard, and boxing gloves where applicable). I'm happy to dedicate rounds to striking, grappling, and MMA respectively if you like. Heck, I'll even bring a Muay Thai guy if you want a bit of variety in sparring partners.

I am not an aggressive person, and I can honestly say that if we were to spar, I would not have any intention of injuring you, and would not have any desire to be injured myself, but would simply give you an opportunity to test out your theories.

I work full time and try to balance my spare time between training, my GF, and jamming, so I have very little spare time. I'm not going to come to you, but if you give me a little notice, I can ensure that I am available.

Oh, btw, I'm 180cm tall and weigh 92kg, though apparently I look like I weigh less than that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 2:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/TKD noob/BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you soo much. ALL OF YOU!!!. Dj, Scrapper...and Everyone else!. and no i cirtainly would not like to spar with scybermonk. My reason...in my philosophy of martial arts, one should not fight unless he has to, you should live your life in peace and never have the need for fighting. Secondly monk is around 26 I assume, I am 17 and also he is aound double my size. Scrapper i see also you are an experianced judoka, Great art it is. I help my father and others train children at a judo club in auckland NZ. but again thank you all for standing up. I agree completely with scrapper in every way he illustrates what I was trying to say to monk origionally. and look monk this is'nt a shot against you. your ok man. But I think it is highly irresposible to tell people that you art seriously teaching them an art that will defend them in the real world because at the moment there are as well off as they were before they joined. Continue doing this is you want but call it your fun spar day where a couple of people get together and fight or whatever and say its for shits-n-giggles and not for serious combat...also on your site you said that you have a 'sensei' and yet you say theat you are untaught...and also how can you make assumptions on other arts when you havent seen any of them in effect. and when you apparently kknow nothing of traditionalism. Martial arts are what the name states a "martial" "art" meaning a way of wartime combat designed for debilitating paralizing or killing an opponent they are real! how can you pass off thousands of years of killing combat to nothing....

anyway again thanks everyone for commenting and continue...

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 9:40am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monk:

Here are my conclusions based upon your statements. Keep in mind these are MINE. They are subjective and do not represent anything other than what I have determined to be the case based upon my experience and observations. These may or may not be facts; but this is how I see it.

1. You have never trained in any combat style from any legitimate instructor.

2. Your actual technical proficiency in hand-to-hand combat is minimal.

3. Your website, speech style, and overall presentation lend heavily towards an individual far more interested in pretending to be a martial arts master than an individual actually attempting to become one.

4. Please search the name "Coda Scott" for the Bullshido profile you are (in my opinion) beginning to present. In your defense, you at least have not forged any certifications or made up any names. Yet.

5. If you are accepting any money from students in exchange for effective combat training, than you are defrauding them. If you are accepting money for an underground fight club, sparring group, or training group, than you are OK. It's that simple.

6. Vampire fetish: It is acceptable in the American lexicon to refer to individuals who apply religious, mystical, or psychological significance to an inanimate object or jungian archetype as a fetishist. You dress in the neo-goth style, and conduct yourself as a member of that sub-group. Said group, (and the nature of your participation is congruent with their social norms of goth types) having a fetish for witches, demons, vampires, and other classic archetypal creatures of the night. Whether you agree with the semantics of "Vampire fetish" or not, the only one who DOESN'T think you have one is you.

http://scybermonk.livejournal.com/profile

http://dnd.meetup.com/956/members/385273/

http://goth.meetup.com/67/?gj=sj3

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=4252156

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?...844F5128773052

http://www.google.com/search?q=scybe...&start=10&sa=N

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have the right to refute, rebuke, and/or revile these conclusions. You might get mad, you might chuckle, you might even go away in a huff. What I am quite sure you WON'T do is prove me wrong.

But if you DO prove me wrong, I will post an abject apology in the main forums, I will take a picture of myself with "I was wrong about ScyberMonk" written in red lipstick on my face and have the mods make it a sticky. That's a promise.

You can prove me wrong in several ways:

-Show me a legitimate instructor-level certification in a legitimate style.

-Enter a local MMA competition and compete using only your current training. Acquit yourself well (you don't even have to win!).

-Have a legitimate instructor endorse you publicly, and prove it.

Otherwise, I will stick with my conclusions...and I suspect most people agree with me. But I've been wrong before.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast