Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyberMonk
    KRAZY KAJU: Already answered this. As for certificates in what I teach....er...the website is about all yer gonna get on that one.

FERYK: I joined this site because I like what it does. I had no illusions that I would somehow not eventually come under scrutiny. Frankly, I am enjoying this, it's an intriguing experience to be on the recieving end...and hell, my website gets some traffic, which is always a good thing. No publicity is bad publicity, and all that. Now, granted, unlike Sifu Wallace, I don't get paid for every video you watch....[/sarcasm]..but it's good to see nonetheless. As I said before, what I have learned is not something I will go into. I know how bad it makes me look, but I don't say anything differently to you to what I say to anyone else. If you want to know the measure of a martial artist, you fight him, you don't ask for his pedigree.

And that is how they chose to do it, and that's fine. My technique is considered sloppy primarily because my technique doesn't make sense to alot of people. I'm goofy when I fight. I have my hands low, and my weight looks off balance. Hell, I even have a spare tire. But you have to remember....for me, fighting isn't about your technique, it's getting the job done. Which I do. If I get away with bringing a punch from the nothern hemisphere after giving the student a days warning advance notice? I'm gonna. Teaches them to watch their opponent better. Plus, it's funny as hell to watch. When I practice, by myself, or when I teach, I make sure the technique is pretty damn crisp. But when I fight, I do what I feel I need to do to win. I'm not too hung up on how it looks.

And of course I would come on here. Hell, I've been here for ages, damn near a year! I can't very well participate in slamming others and not be prepared when my own inevitable slamming comes to the table, now can I? And I know it does. I am absolutely aware of this. It's not what a lot of people call proper, correct, and in some cases, safe. But I will try my best to give you all the answers I can.
    You have now hit almost all of the signs Scrapper was talking about.

Red Flag:
    1) Exaggerating Skills
    2) It works for Me.
    3) Being in shape isn't relevant.
    4) Will not reveal Martial Experience.

The heap keeps getting bigger. Your words show why people advocate training MMA over any TMA. Boxing guard works for damn near everyone. Fighting with your hands down works for certain people.

Every person finds their style but they need the basics first. They need basic guard, footwork, kicks. All the fancy off balance hands down should be taught last if at all on a case by case basis.

The fact I have to tell you this diminishes your teaching skills IMO.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    D and I are on the same wavelength.

Mine is less wordy.:drunken_s

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:05pm

Style: Way of the Void

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Continually pushing myself, sparring anyone and everyone who WILL spar with me...and not everyone will (no badassedness implied. They just don't wanna.)...talking to other martial artists about technique, application, and training, and constant review of my own technique. If you read the Martial Articles section of my website, you can review some articles written by people who are not members of my school, or even my style, who have fought me. You want a better review of my skill, go talk to them. I assure you, the bias will be little to none. At least, it had better be.

Not everyone who comes to the Grill is a virgin newbie. Kabe is a bouncer, has been for years. His striking is so poor because of this....as bouncers aren't legally permitted to strike here. Kogou had 19 years of experince in multiple things, primarily JKD, before joining the Grill...and then deciding to take a world tour while I was in the States for 6 months.

I learn from every single one of my Students, from rank amateur to experienced fighter. If you think you cannot take away something from every combat, then yer an idiot, as I see it.

And I am sorry, I failed to respond to your question about why I feel I have something to teach...well, it's my style. If I cannot teach it, then I haven't obviously learned it, as odd as that sounds. I teach because I have people to teach, who come to class, and because I do see improvement in them, albeit slowly...stupid once a week classes...and lastly, I teach because I love teaching. And because there needs to be an alternative. I feel most things are too rigid in their approach. My way is, as mentioned, welllll different.

Hope that answers it...but I will be honest, feeling I can teach is just that, a feeling...a deep in the colon knowing that I can. Either you have it, or you don't.

Yes. I am aware that that souds teh gay. Let it go.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking under the "Martial Articles" section of your site I see no reference from other fighters having fought you. Perhaps I missed any references to you but even if I had I see 4 articles written by someone from "Aegis Sword Fighting Academy", Quest Martial Arts (I assume ninjutsu), someone referencing themselves simply as MMA, and one written by one of your "apprentices". Even if I had missed a section of each article where these people referenced you, none of those seem like overly validating sources to me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you have these answers already available don't you Syber?

:deadhorse

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will respond to IT IS FAKE, and hopefully cover DJ Rand at the same time.

I neeeeevvvveeerrrrr said that being in shape wasn't relevent. Never not once. I wish I was more in shape, however, my ability to excercise regularly is limited to what I can do in the morning and evenings, excpet on thursday, my only day off, when I train most of the day.

And where do you get that I exaggerated my skills? Seems bit of a reach.

And it does work for me. To put myself in a relevent box, I'm more of a proponent of Earth path. I'm a big, solid guy. So if you punch at me, alot of the times, I'm not going to bother blocking. If I feel you can't hurt me with a strike, then I am not going to waste time and effort better put into harming you, with blocking an attack that isn't gonna do squat.

And I am not sure where yer pullin' off balance from, either. I'm perfectly balanced, well, as perfect as one can be, and solid in my stances, those I choose to take. I think what yer missin here is that I don't usually take a formal stance....because I choose not to. To me, in my combat, theres no need to drop into a nicely predicitable, familiar-for-the-enemy stance.

You choose to tell me your opinion, and that's perfectly fine, and I applaud you for it. As far as your opinion dimishing my teaching, well, that's another story...but then, that's just MY opinion, as well.

DJ RAND: Wheres the link to those posts you made? And...because you think my stance doesn't let me sprawl, it's inferior? Huh? Where do you pull that one from? And as I stated before...I will be in Ohio hopefully sometime in October. I'll bring a camera.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IT IS FAKE: Not sure where yer goin' with that one. Be a bit clearer.

DJRAND: I never said it would. I said that those people have fought me, and that you could talk to them, not that their articles had anything to do with me. That would kinda miss the point, if it did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, off to work. I will be back in about 9.5 hours.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lame, why is this named new zealand? I was all excited about getting to mash on some idiot larpers. well im not travelling to fuckin BRISBANE of all places to beat up an idiot.

by the way your students couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag, i have never seen such fucking godawful "sparring" as that. if anyone in any of those videos has more than 12 minutes of training behind them then they are wasting their time with your sorry ass.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be in Ohio hopefully sometime in October. I'll bring a camera.
    this is certainly something that can be discussed. However I must admit that I am not overly excited about the prospect of a vale tudo with a self proclaimed vampire that allows biting at his school. Hepatitus does not sound overly fun to me.

EDIT:
    Not that it is particularly relevant now, most of what I mentioned has been discussed in this thread. But here you go, as requested.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58444
    Last edited by djrand; 8/13/2007 5:39pm at .
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast