Page 27 of 28 First ... 17232425262728 Last
  1. #261

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah that is extremely dissapointing, it appears that all that was accomplished was giving monk more ammunition to mislead his students with. However you still did a good job setting this whole thing up DM i just wish that perhaps we would have accomplished more in the way of convincing monk to end this madness. Unfortunately if he cant see how under qualified he is from those two matches alone then he is never going to. I can see that big jim is a massive guy, but someone with two months of bjj experience could have mounted a far better defense then monk was able to do.


    EDIT:
    After watching that grappling video I remembered this quote from monk referring to himself and went back to find it.

    Grapplers have tried to shoot in, and despite him looking slow...he goes as fast as he needs to, and it rarely ends well for the grappler.
    Last edited by djrand; 9/15/2007 5:49pm at .

  2. #262
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bwahahaha good find. Remember anyone that shoots nowadays is a grappler. That means if I shoot I'm a grappler. I have zero BJJ/wrestling/Subs etc experience.

  3. #263

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    490
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had to watch the match between Jim and monk a couple of times.

    Monk was tapping so much that I think he was spelling S.O.S in morse code.

    He had no defense for anything.

    And the striking match..all I can say is WTF..somebody must just love Shonie Carter. Too many spinning backfists.

    If he knew how to strike properly he would be able to generate alot of power in his hits.
    Getting his body weight behind it and etc.

  4. #264
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    Had to watch the match between Jim and monk a couple of times.

    Monk was tapping so much that I think he was spelling S.O.S in morse code.

    He had no defense for anything.

    And the striking match..all I can say is WTF..somebody must just love Shonie Carter. Too many spinning backfists.

    If he knew how to strike properly he would be able to generate alot of power in his hits.
    Getting his body weight behind it and etc.
    See that is the problem There are Millions of people that fit that criteria many of which have training and make better teachers.

    Everything he did in that video only works for big, intimidating people. The keyword is he. I'm not saying 120lbs woman can't do a spinning backfist. I'm saying only a big guy could get away with his sloppy techniques.

    He didn't do a good job anyway.

  5. #265

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    490
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Everything he did in that video only works for big, intimidating people. The keyword is he. I'm not saying 120lbs woman can't do a spinning backfist. I'm saying only a big guy could get away with his sloppy techniques.
    Thats not really true. Just because your big doesn't mean that makes up for sloppy techniques.

    He must have outweighed the guy he was boxing/striking with by at least 50lbs and he didn't even really connect with anything.

    Backfists were blocked each time.

    there have been way to many matches that much smaller guys have beaten larger guys not only in striking but also in grappling.

    So his size may help once in a great while but when he meets the skinny guy with a few years of actual training .....he may be in alot of trouble.

  6. #266
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    Thats not really true. Just because your big doesn't mean that makes up for sloppy techniques.

    He must have outweighed the guy he was boxing/striking with by at least 50lbs and he didn't even really connect with anything.

    Backfists were blocked each time.

    there have been way to many matches that much smaller guys have beaten larger guys not only in striking but also in grappling.

    So his size may help once in a great while but when he meets the skinny guy with a few years of actual training .....he may be in alot of trouble.
    Yes. In the context of this thread it is true. Which is he can impress his students because he is big.

    You are talking as a skill vs skill critique. I'm talking untrained vs untrained. The context of this thread is his poor teaching. His techniques work in his videos because he is big.

  7. #267

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    490
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    You are talking as a skill vs skill critique. I'm talking untrained vs untrained. The context of this thread is his poor teaching
    My bad ..I was going on the skill vs skill.



    His techniques work in his videos because he is big and fighting scared girls
    hope you don't mind I added to the last part.

    Yes if he was facing someone smaller who was untrained then his size would be the major factor.

  8. #268
    Deadmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. So... What now?

    It's fairly clear that Scybermonk is not certified or licensed to teach any recognized martial art.

    However, his 'students' do continue coming to the Grill of their own free will.

  9. #269
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    My bad ..I was going on the skill vs skill.





    hope you don't mind I added to the last part.

    Yes if he was facing someone smaller who was untrained then his size would be the major factor.
    No problem I wasn't as clear myself.


    Nothing you can do Deadmeat. All we can hope is people will read and see this thread. Even if it keeps one new student away it has helped. If it makes one of his students go find real training it will help.

  10. #270

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Swansea, Wales
    Posts
    454
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they have a forum on the Grill website? (I seem to remember they do, but it's not used that much?)

    Post links to this thread over there so hopefully the students will see it.

Page 27 of 28 First ... 17232425262728 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO