--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are they both no longer available?

Edit - maybe I should just have more patience and let them get processed

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quit apologizing. You stepped up and got video. Doesn't matter how much time it took.

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 10:09pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Quit apologizing. You stepped up and got video. Doesn't matter how much time it took.
    *nods*

No worries.

... So, is there anyone with an RBSD background or experience in the Brisbane area who could attend the grill and post a review?

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 6:59am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stick to my analysis:

Monk has desire and potential...but no skill or training. He should be TRAINING...not teaching.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Outside Context Problem

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monk, it sounds like you enjoyed the experience sparring and rolling with DM, Big Jim and Lance. There are a number of excellent MMA gyms around Brisbane. Why don't you try them out?

Advance MA and Integrated MA are good places to start.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 8:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Monk has probably convinced himself that meeting up was justification enough for him to continue teaching.

From the video, it looks like he is a big guy, and he tries to hit people as hard as he can when sparring to intimidate them. His guard looked a little like a Philly, but the swings all looked wild. His footwork looked really sloppy, and probably contributed a bit when Lance knocked him with the cross. Also if he gassed to the point where he couldn't box in less than a minute and a half his cardio needs serious work.

The grappling with Big Jim was very one sided. While I imagine that not a lot of people would last very long with a guy like Jim, Monk was tapping like Gregory Hines.

I think Monk needs to ask himself if has anything he could teach the guys he met up with, because (I'm guessing) they are all still students of martial arts at one level or another.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monk, a sincere question: How do you know that any of what you're teaching works?

My opinion, based on what I'm seeing in the videos is that you have the balls to make something of yourself in the MAs but have a serious lack of skill. I accept that you say your style is unorthodox, and unorthodoxy is fine - if it works. I saw nothing to indicate that it would ever work, except against newbies stuck out in the middle of the mat like deer in headlights because they have no idea what they're supposed to be doing.

As for your instructing, it's much the same as your fighting - you have the desire to teach which is great, but I don't see much evidence of any ability to connect with your students, teach then from where they are at, run a safe (in the medical sense) operation, or sufficient knowledge of what you are doing to be able to teach it.

Now, you may ask, how am I qualified to say any of that? I may still be a newb but I can identify the gross elements of a good fighter. I know what a good instructor is like because I train under good instructors, our head instructor in particular is among the best in the world in his particular millieu.

Find a good gym. Apply your intensity to training there. Or, if you really believe in your style, with its unorthodoxy, test it. I would advise you to encourage your students to test your instruction by competing too, but frankly, I would be concerned for their safety.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: boxing/muy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    monk is an egomaniac with a twisted worldview. good luck convincing him to set that aside and join a real school where he would have no authority, little skill, and be forced to humble himself to get better.

it's likely that he'll incorporate bastardized versions of the techniques into his own, umm, curriculum (for lack of a better word) and forge ahead in his crappling idiocy.

i just hope that none of his students get injured due to his, and his "named" students, lack of control and lack of dojo common sense. realistically, some sort of semi-serious injury is inevitable in his "Grill" training.

i hope i'm wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 11:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the height of delusion.

An obviously sub-standard instructor actually goes to work out with skilled fighers (which deserves credit) and gets schooled, but still doesn't realise that he is woefully equiped to teach. Madness.

kismasher is right, Monk is obviously too high on authority to change. Probably gets an awesome feeling of power from smashing up noobs too. I get an awesome feeling if I can get a noob to base themselves properly while grappling, or perform an escape perfectly - not from abusing them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 11:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    monk is an egomaniac with a twisted worldview. good luck convincing him to set that aside and join a real school where he would have no authority, little skill, and be forced to humble himself to get better.

it's likely that he'll incorporate bastardized versions of the techniques into his own, umm, curriculum (for lack of a better word) and forge ahead in his crappling idiocy.

i just hope that none of his students get injured due to his, and his "named" students, lack of control and lack of dojo common sense. realistically, some sort of semi-serious injury is inevitable in his "Grill" training.

i hope i'm wrong.
    You must have missed this post

I will continue teaching, and you are absolutely correct, I have every intention of integrating everything I learned....that's the whole point to this. Wisdom from many sources, and I'm a damned idiot if I didn't learn from Thursday, and an even bigger one if I didn't pass that on.
    So with that this guy IMO can be certified Bullshido.

Oh BTW you didn't learn ****. The fact you are going to pass on a bare minimum of knowledge, gleaned from a couple of hours, shows what type of asshole you are IRL.

Eventually, we will see you in the newspaper.

All respect for you showing up is now lost. I am officially under the impression you did it for ulterior motives.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 9/14/2007 11:20am at .