Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Exactly why he shouldn't be teaching. Nothing wrong with being gun shy while you are training. If you are teaching it shouldn't be a noticable problem if one at all.
    I agree with that 100%. A good coach should be able to hop in and comfortably spar with a student at a bunch of different intensity levels.

The other thing that bugged me a lot about the Grill videos was that the "sparring" there appeared to be a contest. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to be competitive and push yourself when sparring, but it's also really important for the higher level people to match intensity with the lower ones and help them get better by showing them what they are doing wrong. You aren't chalking up victories when sparring, you are training.

When doing Randori with someone who has six years of experience on me and is in twice the physical condition we both already know that they can tie me up like a pretzel.

All the stuff above is just my opinion, and I've had limited exposure to martial arts so I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Good points except, poor teacher equals poor students. The lack of enthusiasm, in the vids, may come from being hurt.

I've seen it happen. Someone gets hurt, by an improper technique, they train improperly because they are scared. That falls right back in the teachers lap.
    I wasn't being really clear. By enthusiasm I meant that the students at the Grill seem to really want to go train there. I didn't mean their fighting style. In the vids that I watched they all seemed to circle each other forever (crossing feet half the time WTF?) before rushing in with some wild swings and bad grappling.

I'm sure the Grill is a lot of fun for the people who are going there. They get to rough each other up and work out. But I'm also pretty sure they are getting about the same level of martial arts training as I got when I used to get in backyard "chests only" fist fights with my friends in high school.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/TKD noob/BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again thanks everyone...props to monk.

But I'm going to have to agree with what others have been saying (you know what I'm talking about).

Just to add something aswell, I think that AT LEAST Monk should send all of his students to a proper club first (to learn basic grappling/striking) and continue to have them cross training while this is going on.....Also I think Monk needs to definately seek out every MA club in his area and join one or two.

Though my first opinion is that he shouldn't be teaching.

Plus just to clarify with Monk what you're 'teaching' is like RBSD style isn't it.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 5:40am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <walks in the Musashi Bar>

"Can I have a 1/4lb Musashi burger, large katana fries and a sake shake to go"
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 5:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still want to know what this guys sword experience is and where he's pulling his sword curriculum from.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: boxing/muy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so basically, a good time was had by all, and monk didn't learn a damn thing.

good work DM.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 5:40pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    so basically, a good time was had by all, and monk didn't learn a damn thing.

good work DM.
    I tried.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 5:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So when do we get to see some videos of monk rolling or sparring?

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edit: In the next couple of days. I was hoping to get them tonight, but I'm still not up for training, and Lance is working tomorrow night and Saturday night. That leaves Sunday.

I appreciate everyone's patience.

There should be three clips.

1x Monk doing some groundwork with me, and with Jim.

1x Sparring me

1x Sparring Lance
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 9/06/2007 1:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 4:19am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much love for the meat, nice work DM

Posted On:
    9/13/2007 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok Lance just emailed me two clips, which I've uploaded.

The first is Jim and Monk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frwcLGfXRpw

The second is Lance boxing with Monk for about half a round.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4HyRA4-Ns

I haven't received a video of the round of boxing I did with Monk yet, so I'll ask Lance if he saved it. He didn't get the camera rolling until just before Jim and Monk sparred, so the footage of us rolling is lost, which is no great loss really, as we pretty much just stalled anyway.

I'm sorry for the delays, but I've only done some light cardio, and one judo class since I hurt my rib. I haven't been to kickboxing so I haven't seen Lance face to face. I'll post whatever else I can if/when I get it. I'm feeling much better already, so hopefully I'll be sparring again next week.