233417 Bullies, 3555 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23242526 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 6:28am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I agree that it would be inappropriate, but Monk actually identified that he would like to do so. I said at the time that I could set it up if he wanted tobut the focus fell on meeting for a spar.

If you look back a few pages, you'll not that the meeting was postponed by a week due to Monk's work commitments.

Lastly, I went shopping for a new guitar with Jim today and he said he'll come along to the meet up. He may have a roll, or do some rounds, but probably just hold a camera or something.

I'll be updating you all if/when I hear anything further from Monk.
    Argh.

So the fight is still going to happen right?

Upload the vid if you do, please!

kthnx :adora:

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 7:07am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you look back a few pages, you'll not that the meeting was postponed by a week due to Monk's work commitments.
    Yes.

Quit shitting up the thread and read it please. It is scheduled for the 30th.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 7:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex-tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's fine if he wants to keep studying that particular style he's created, but i'm a bit concerned that he'll continue teaching it to other people. It's great that he might take something away from the spar with deadmeat, but to continue teaching a style that is defective is irresponsible

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 10:52pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So is everything still a go for the 30th ?

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 12:26am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monk just texted me.

As far as I am aware, we are still on for tomorrow
    to which I responded

Thanks mate. I'm free from around 2:30 onwards. There are a couple other guys who might show up. One a professional fighter and if we're lucky a famous judoka from japan. His english is poor but he's a really nice guy and very knowledgeable. Both are really nice guys actually. Should be really fun and relaxed atmosphere. Call me when you are on your way, if you can.
    The fighter who will be attending is a heavyweight named Big Jim Yorke http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterID=9480 and the Judoka is Yoshinori Ashida, who holds a 5th Dan in Judo from the Kodokan, and a 2nd Dan in Ki-Aikido. He actually came with a letter of recommendation from Yasuhiro Yamashita, and I can say from first hand experience that the man cannot be thrown. Heck, I can't even pull guard on the guy. His control is awesome too. You're never in any danger of being hurt, and half the time you don't realise you're getting thrown till you land. Both are friends of mine, and have a hell of a lot of wisdom to share. Interestingly, neither Jim nor Yoshi have met, so they might have an epic grappling match. THAT would be something really worth seeing.

Unfortunately, Yoshi might not make it in time for Monk, though - he's coming to do some padwork and kickboxing around 4:30 as he's new to striking, and would like to lose some weight, but I'm sure he'd be happy to have a roll with anyone who is still hanging around . Jim is 90% confirmed to be there, and my sparring partner (a muay thai guy) is intending to come and bring his camera.

I'd like to stress at this point that we aren't expecting Monk to take turns just fighting each of us, but rather we are all going to be training with each other, doing rounds and so on.

None of us attending could possibly hang with Jim in any context, or with Yoshi in grappling. But that's hardly the point, is it?
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 8/29/2007 12:50am at .

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 5:15am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to be a dick but is there likely to be a vid?

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 7:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    Not to be a dick but is there likely to be a vid?
    yeah mate. not the ideal arrangement but monk is bringing a camera apparently and my sparring partner is bringing his nokia n70 with a mini sd card. my laptop can read any sd card. picture quality may not be perfect but it will be decipherable.

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 3:51pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Monk just texted me...

The fighter who will be attending is a heavyweight named Big Jim Yorke http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterID=9480 and the Judoka is Yoshinori Ashida, who holds a 5th Dan in Judo from the Kodokan, and a 2nd Dan in Ki-Aikido...

None of us attending could possibly hang with Jim in any context, or with Yoshi in grappling. But that's hardly the point, is it?
    1) Props to Monk for manning up and meeting with you guys.
    2) Damn you get to hang/train with some awesome dudes. I'm jealous.

Anxiously looking forward to the vids!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 5:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/TKD noob/BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, thanks to Deadmeat, Big Jim (found out he's a kiwi to!), and Yoshinori Ashida (Wow! your lucky to have a train with him!!!)

Also thanks to Monk for saying he will show up!

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 4:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. so, the meet-up took place.

I'm not going to make too much of a commentary, as I'd rather wait until I get the vids up, which will hopefully be in the next day or so. brief summary of events is as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * Monk showed up, as promised.

* We did some light grappling, largely compliant on my part.

* Went to the ground, Monk put on a 'rape choke', I responded with a pretty loose armbar, he lifted me, and I let go.

* We grappled a little more. nothing noteworthy, due to a rather large, raw sore on Monk's knee. He latched on to me with a classic "street headlock" I repositioned slowly, eventually turtled. avoided a choke attempt, and got eye gouged somewhere along the way.

* Jim stopped us to explain some technical aspects to Monk, then demonstrated some takedowns and submissions on him, which Monk seemed to thoroughly enjoy.

* I did a round of stand-up with Monk, until he ran out of gas.

* Lance, the MT guy did a round with Monk after he recovered.

* Later, Yoshi rocked up, and demonstrated some takedowns/throws on me, one of which seems to have cracked my ribs.

* I did pad work with Yoshi for a while.

* Monk and I went onto the mat to do a round of submission wrestling, but it was ruled out due to his knee - it was inappropriate with a weeping sore.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My observations about Monk, and his fighting style are as follows.

He is a friendly, and personable guy. Prone to making jokes. He was respectful and sincere, and didn't display an ego.

He does not have a clear conception of sparring paces. He goes a little hard out in his striking, a little lacking in restraint, but was quite responsive when told to tone it down a little. He seems to enjoy hard contact sparring particularly.

His stance, technique, and footwork is unorthodox. By MMA standards, he does many things strangely. He is prone to swing his arms, and is fond of wide spinning backfists.

in terms of grappling, he relies heavily on his strength - i.e. I couldn't really break his headlock, and had to wait it out for a positional escape. His techniques on the ground seem to consist of RBSD style nose/mouth smothers, rape chokes, street headlocks, etc.

I asked him about his objectives in comingc to the gym, and he said that he had two.

1) to have a good time "beating the crap out of each other"
    2) to show that he isn't full of Bullshido.

While we had some fun, and I respect Monk for coming, I think that his approach to martial arts will not be well received by the Bullshido community, and told him so. He agreed, and explained that he knew it would be controversial, but doesn't care.

Monk said he'd reviewed the 'firsty spars' with a fellow named 'kuma' presumably the other instructor, and that they would be changing their class structure.

My conclusion is that Monk can fight - admittedly, in a somewhat unorthodox manner, but well enough to beat an untrained individual. I do not feel he is of sufficient proficiency to teach individuals intending to compete in MMA, nor to compete in MMA himself.

He has some interesting ideas, and with practice and a bit of "loosening up", I'm sure he can do fine. He's certainly strong, and enjoys sparring immensely. But the "way of the void" is definitely not an orthodox martial art in my opinion, and I understand that it is not intended to be.

Hopefully, Monk will come online and post his impressions of the day. As promised it was very relaxed, and we all had a good time. Monk expressed that he is keen to come back and do it again, so I think that's a good sign. Next time, we'll do a lot more groundwork, and I'll be less passive now that I understand his approach.

Plus he got to see me get my ass handed to me by Yoshi, which must have been fun.
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23242526 ... LastLast