Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:01am

Style: Way of the Void

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SCRAPPER: I have to ask...what, exactly, do you base that on? It looks like a fairly specific comment at first, however, it lacks anything substantial to really back it up. Now, if you wouldn't mind, please delineate your points, and what you mean by them. It isn't enough to simply say that I am 'wrong'. All you have to go off of are some end of class sparring videos with very very green students, and maybe one or two amazingly basic technique videos, in terms of practical combat application. Where, exactly, do you draw the conclusion of "If you are claiming to offer effective self-defense and combat training, then you are leading them astray. Sorry. But you yourself in your profile express that you will not "let you bullshit you" so I am returning the favor. You may be learning and discovering on your won, but you are no fighter or instructor. You may be getting there (slowly), but you are not ready to teach people."?

Basiclly, what, in your mind, qualifies someone to teach...and what criteria are you using to state I am not ready?

I am genuinely curious, please do not take this as an attack.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:04am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'll just start with a few direct questions. I read most of your site, and really it didn't help me understand what you are doing. Bear in mind i'm mostly a grappler with some muay thai and boxing training (very little).

In the video labeled Fel Vs. Kabe (MUST See.) we see some very bad habits. The big guy seems to not care about defending himself and just swings wildly. The little guy uses a very questionable stance and when he does finally rush in he 'lunges' and completely opens himself up and does not cover himself in any way. I'll focus on this area of the video.

1) Can you explain the purpose of the little guy's stance? How is this better then a traditional boxing/mauy thai type stance?
    2) Why do you not coach the fighters while they spar? When I am sparing my coach is reminding me to keep my hands up, helping me escape dangerous positions, and reminding me of my mistakes. Is this a concious choice to not coach during sparing?
    3) After this match, did you go over what happened to these guys and help them understand their weak points?
    4) How long have these two guys been training at the point this video was made?

If I seem skeptical, it's because I used to train in aikido. Also my larper comment stems from the fact everyone of those vids has a quasi japanese type name for the person. At least it seems that way? Do you guys pick names for yourselves? If so, why?
    Last edited by FictionPimp; 8/13/2007 9:08am at .
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap, I am never getting to bed!

IT IS FAKE: You apparently missed the part where I said that 'at most' it was 8 months. That's purely because I have a shite ability to keep track of time. The only one who has been around the whole time is Ikuji, and even he has missed several classes. Plus, I think you also missed the 'once a week' aspect of training.

JTKARATE:
    Ahhh, the question of my past training. Been waitin' fer this one. I'ma tell you the very same thing I have told everyone else. Certificates can be faked, webmasters bribed, and belts purchased (which has been the subject of MANY a discussion here, as I recall.). If you wish to know what my fighting abilities are, then fight me now....as you cannot fight me in the past. What I have done has shaped what I am doing, and that's pretty much all the answer I'm willing to give. False pride is built on pedigree, and last I checked, I'm not a dog. I am not good purely because of who trained me, or what I trained in. I'm good because I'm good, period. You, just like everyone else thus far, have judged the school based on green student sparring. Try to avoid that.

Most dojo will not put up video's of actual sparring that do not exhibit a high level of skill, so as to impress visitors to the site. I didn't make that site to impress people, I made it for my school...where we hold up our mistakes to the same lights as our success'.

BTW, I am wellllllllllllllllll aware that the response I gave to the question of my training will lead to some severe hashing from the Bullshido crew. Go ahead and post it, but then, lets get back to the subject at hand.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyberMonk
    Holy crap, I am never getting to bed!

IT IS FAKE: You apparently missed the part where I said that 'at most' it was 8 months. That's purely because I have a shite ability to keep track of time. The only one who has been around the whole time is Ikuji, and even he has missed several classes. Plus, I think you also missed the 'once a week' aspect of training.

Thank you. This says everything I need to know.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:20am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok....Where's Alex. He's near Auckland I believe. Alex, come here and show these guys what they're doing wrong please...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, FictionPimp, yer the last one, then I sleep!

1. Fel had to return home to Melbourne after an unfortunante 6 lessons, so I had very little chance to correct his stance. I was personally never fond of it, but he seemed to be able to make it work for him.

2. Ironiclly, I usually do. It is not always very loud, and sometimes I do not do it. As suspicious as this will sound, there are a fair number of fights that were not video'd, or video's that I opted not to put up, where I do that very thing. Also, sometimes I prefer to let the student discover their own mistake, rather than point out it. I find pain to be a terrific motivator not to do something again.

3. Absolutely. After every match, the entire class points out something they learned from the match, and I point out a few lessons I want them to take away from it.

4. At that point, I think that was Fels 4th lesson. It was Kabe's....I want to say 12th.

The rest of that question is answered at the same time as your question in regard to the names. Now, you can find a MUCH better description of what I am about to say on the Site, but we'll rehash here. Names are given to the students when they fulfill the correct criteria. The name is USUALLY japanese, but not always. Depends on what I feel sticks. I always pick the name, and each name has a positive and negative aspect. KABE (Wall). Walls are good at absorbing damage, and falling over. They are not, say, good at reaching out and hitting someone. Ergo, his striking is sloppy as all get out, as Kabe has some serious issues with striking people, at least at that point. Fel (and that is dutch, by the by) means Intense, because he goes hard, and he goes strong, but that very intensity makes him dangerously erratic, and prone to burn out.

As for why....look again on the site. It's under Philosophy-Ranking Systems, and why we don't have one.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:26am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scyber-

I base it on several factors:

1: I've been a competitive martial artist for going on 15 years now. I have 185 judo matches, 6 boxing matches, and 2 cage fights under my belt. I have been a bouncer and a crisis intervention team leader for the State of Connecticut's mental health system. I have been punched, kicked, bitten, attacked with a rake, headbutted, bled on, puked on, and even stabbed with syringe once. Even so, I still consider myself fairly unskilled due to the caliber of fighters I have encountered in my martial arts journey. I have watched no fewer than 7 of your sparring videos, and I intend to get through all of them by the end of the day.

Every single one of them showed untrained, fighters fighting poorly. There was no power in any body's strikes, poor footwork, no concept of distance or timing, and all the mistakes typical to people who want to fight but have no training.

2: I'll pick on Tatsu, (or is that Kel?...the big dude with the facial hair...?) because he is fairly experienced in your system.

Tatsu needs to keep his hands up, and distribute his weight better. He leads with his chin and I know at least 3 7-year-olds with faster hands. He's big and gets away with a lot of slop, but a guy in his weight class with 3 months of judo will beat him in under a minute. Might take a boxer of comparable training a full 2 minutes, (Tatsu looks like he has a decent chin). A wrestler will shoot in and take him down instantly.

Tatsu punches are what we like to call "haymakers." He swings his arms like clubs, and robs them of the speed and power proper technique would give him. He is at best an arm-puncher, and those looping swats leave him wide open. Thai boxers would salivate at the thought of getting him in the ring.

3. The grappling I observed in your videos was atrocious. Sorry. It's that bad. No concept of kuzushi, no idea how to manage levels, and no explosiveness. This is called "crappling." I don't know what horrified me more: the girl doing the full-nelson, or the girl who didn't know how to escape it.

That is what I based my observations on. I did not feel it was necessary to dissect the individuals involved, because as long as everyone is having fun, and everyone knows the difference bewteen what they are doing and real fight training, then it's all OK.

My concern is that they think they are receiving real fight trianing.
    Last edited by Scrapper; 8/13/2007 9:28am at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Thank you. This says everything I need to know.
    Er....huzzah?

Sleeping!

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:36am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you read this Alex...Nevermind. I checked their site, I guess they're in Australia, not NZ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap! Have..to...respond...

SCRAPPER:
    1. Good set of fight experience..unfortunately, doesn't answer the whole 'qualifications to teach' bit.

2. Considering that I know Tatsu fairly well, I can actually explain his fighting. What you consider to be sloppy is simply because he knows he is fighting an opponent he has already gotten most of the measure of. He can take the riskier hits, as he knows the opponent isn';t going to be able to get aroound them. Nothing fancy is required. Therefore, the swinging his arms like clubs, while it doesn't look too terribly pretty, certaintly gets the job done. Also, I have known him to take several shots to the face, chest, legs, whathaveyou, and shrug them off. If you are certain enough that your opponent is going to do lasting damage, why bother with the 'correct' block? He's fought thai boxers. No one with any record, to be sure, but he didn't lose. Grapplers have tried to shoot in, and despite him looking slow...he goes as fast as he needs to, and it rarely ends well for the grappler. You seem to, again, forget that he is fighting incredibly green students......

And as the instructor of the class, he can't exactly go balls to the wall, can he?

Also, you seem to think that the end of class sparring is all the training they are receiving. That's the END of a five hour long class, in which a WHOLE lot more is done, including excercising, technique refinement, conditioning, and the like.

Oh, and one more aside.

I'm Tatsu. .*snicker*But rather than Scyber, call me Monk.

And I am perfectly, absolutely and utterly willing to put my skills to the test of any Bullshidoer who would like to show up at my dojo, hell, I'm willing to go to them (within reason. Please keep it to Brisbane.). I will even be pleased to put the fight online, on my schools website, win or lose. Winning proves the system, losing proves that even though I teach, I still have much to learn...a point I make to my students every single lesson.

REALLY REALLY SLEEPING.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast