Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:35am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol. It's certainly apt.

Nicest guy you'll ever meet. Plays a mean guitar.

But scares the absolute sh#t out of me when he puts his hands up. I could never hang with him. At least not for more than five seconds or so, but he's really controlled, so it's not like you're ever in actual danger.

He trains around the corner from Fightboi at Five Rings, home of Nathan Corbett, Daniel Lima, and now Hector Lombard among others. World Class.

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i sent Jim a text message. No response as yet.

As for Monk, I have nothing against him personally. I'm just giving him the chance to test his style in a safe and friendly environment. If it isn't effective against me, then I would say he shouldn't be instructing, as I consider myself to be on the poor side of mediocre compared to the sort of guys that compete.

Also, I hope he sees how fun and worthwhile it is to train in a safe manner. I still haven't watched the videos, and at this stage don't intend to, but my unsderstaning is that there is little in the way of safety/protective equipment in evidence.

As far as I'm concerned, he has a clean slate when he steps on the mat, and will have earned a degree of respect simply for coming to a training session, no matter how he performs.

Primarily, I'd like Jim to come just to hold an extra camera, and if possible to express his opinion about what happens. He definitely knows his stuff.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 8/18/2007 1:22am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 1:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good attitude. It isn't about beating him down. It is about showing him that what he thinks he is doing isn't reality. If we really bring gender in I'd bring it in this way, giving women a false sense of security is worse than anything you could do. I'd rather those women go to awareness/situational training then this type of larping.

We had a guy here no to long ago that developed a weird dance style game. Very good guy who actually took our suggestions and put a FAQ on his website pointing out he didn't teach any self defense.

If Monk said this and acted accordingly I would have no problem at all. Like I and everyone else said his techniques, philosophy, and training are skewed. What's sad is he may have some type of formal training. It doesn't matter because he isn't transferring it to his students. Hell, if by some fluke he submits you or whatever I'll still stand by what I've said. He looks like a big guy using strength and intimidation to falsely teach his art.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 6:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good news. Jim just messaged me back. If he doesn't have work commitments on the day, he will come. I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has to say after all is said and done. Jim's the kind of guy who would give a fair assessment, and some constructive advice.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 6:37am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Good news. Jim just messaged me back. If he doesn't have work commitments on the day, he will come. I'm really looking forward to hearing what he has to say after all is said and done. Jim's the kind of guy who would give a fair assessment, and some constructive advice.
    He's big on advice.

VERY BIG.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update.

Just received a text message from Scyber.

Hey There. My boss just told me I am working on Thursday. please believe me when I say this is not a cop out. If you want, I can send you my work number so you can call as proof. One of my co workers is down with a bad case of the flu. can we redo next week.
    To put things in perspective, there is a major flu epidemic that has actually resulted in a few deaths around here at the moment. I had to close my own office for a short period last week as a preventative measure, so it is completely plausible.
    I responded to his message as follows:

I understand. When is more suitable for you? The following week? I'll be posting this on the site but I'll make sure it's clear you aren't dodging - I completely understand work commitments.
    While the delay is unfortunate (i was intending to take a rostered day off, and now I'll need to reschedule, I personally believe him. He has been sincere and straightforward in all his dealings with me, and gave me ample notice that there was a change of plans. He also seems keen to reschedule, rather than simply postponing it indefinitely.

On the plus side, more time = more chance that I'll be able to secure a camera for our meet-up, rather than relying on Monk to have the only footage. more footage from multiple angles = fair representation for all parties concerned.

If Monk responds via text message I'll repost it here. Otherwise, he may decide to post something here himself. I urge everyone to give him a fair chance if he does.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 9:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool Keep us updated.

Hopefully, you can get a camera.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok another update: Monk just text messaged me again.

News Update. The employee may actually be here. Oi. So tentative yes for this week, def yes for next.
    I responded as follows.

Hmm ok. I need to make arrangements at my office. So are we going to take a chance for this week or make it a definite for next week?
    To which he responded

What is more convenient for you?
    And I responded with:

My preference is for the option that is more likely to eventuate. I don't want to inconvenience my coworkers by randomly changing my nominated day of leave on short notice, so if next week is more certain, I'd lean towards that. But you are the one travelling and so I'm happy to try and fit your schedule

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 10:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for double post:

He sent me this:
    I will know with certainty on Wednesday. if that is not enough time, then aiming for next week would be better
    I responded:
    Ok mate. To be honest that is somewhat short notice for me If the following week can be confirmed as a definite would we be able to do it then? I appreciate you making the effort but I don't want to make arrangements at the last minute. I prefer we take the option with the best chance of coming to fruition.
    So at this stage the meet up is hopefully scheduled for Thursday, August 3oth, 2007 around 3pm local time.
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20212223 ... LastLast