Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 11:54am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is fake
    To man cult is a strong word. It is the elephant in the thread we are all trying to avoid.
    I tend to use cult in the academic sense.

Non-destructive cults do exist, and this was the category I was placing Scybermonk's group into. Not that of Heaven's Gate, or Jim Jones' group (or, for that matter, a certain group counting Tom Cruise amongst its' members founded by a writer of lousy sci-fi. Hail Xenu!)

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyberMonk
    You guys keep pointing out all the mistakes that the students make in thier firsty matches against me. WHat part of Firsty is somehow unclear to you? For most of them, this is the first time they have even set foot in a dojo of any make or description, and I have pointed out, here and on the site, that a firsty spar occurs before any instruction is given. So how, exactly, am I to teach them before I teach them?

The way I'm reading this thread, this isn't about the skills of the 'Firstys'. IMO, the mistakes they make are merely the BACKDROP of people discussing and pointing out the technical and teaching mistakes you are making.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 12:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heck I wasn't even talking about the firsty spars. I was talking about the vs. spars that are separated from the firsty.

Compare them Tom, they are just as bad if not worse.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 12:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    I tend to use cult in the academic sense.

Non-destructive cults do exist, and this was the category I was placing Scybermonk's group into. Not that of Heaven's Gate, or Jim Jones' group (or, for that matter, a certain group counting Tom Cruise amongst its' members founded by a writer of lousy sci-fi. Hail Xenu!)
    Of course there are non-destructive cults. To me this is borderline. When you are fake stomping women, bouncing heads off the ground, power tripping, dojo renaming, etc. it is hard to see it as non-destructive.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 12:36pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Heck I wasn't even talking about the firsty spars. I was talking about the vs. spars that are separated from the firsty.

Yeah, seriously.

As I've said before, there is some HORRID crappling in those videos.

And I was talking about the "vs." videos and not the firsty spars too.

Not important though... Thursday's going to be sparring time and we'll have fun watching the vid.

Anyone wanna set bets?

Betting scyber loses in under 30 seconds by way of submission.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

Heh, I don't really need to. After watching him toss a 'Firsty' with no training in a fashion which put that person at great risk for a serious shoulder injury (posting an arm on landing), then reading him explaining that he can't be soft on a newbie because it would mess up the purpose of such a session, is all I needed.

With large disparity in skill, an experienced practitioner/teacher of throws and other takedowns has a multitude of choices in the manner in which they toss someone of no skill. There are many ways in which not only can reduce the risk of injury, but also slam that person with far greater intensity. All you have to do is watch Ryan Loco get tossed repeatedly by Sokoudjou and to know what to look for. Although there was one or two which might have been more risky than others, Ryan seems to be put at very little risk overall - even getting suplayed (Ura Nage @ 5:22): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijKcamMgS0o
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 8/16/2007 12:59pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 3:26pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice video.

My point was more his distinction bewteen the two as an excuse to the shittiness of said videos. I agree that there is no excuse for how he treats his noobs.

I feel the whole argument falls apart even further when you see no marked change between the firsty spars (supposed hazing) and end of class spars (suckitude infinitum).

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 6:20pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scheduled for Thursday, 23rd of August

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 6:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woo Hoo I expect a good birthday present deadmeat. Win or lose video better be up. Also, if your instructor has approved ask your fellow students for Video help. The more perspectives the better.

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:23am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Fightboi doesn't have classes per se. Most of the guys there use the facilities for fight prep. I pretty much go there and do rounds every week with whoever is available.

If we're lucky, my mate Big Jim might come by. He'd hold a camera, and if we're lucky, he may even consent to have a roll with us both.

Oh, this is Big Jim's profile on fightfinder.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterID=9480
    and here's a couple pics of him.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19202122 ... LastLast