Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyberMonk
    You guys keep pointing out all the mistakes that the students make in thier firsty matches against me. WHat part of Firsty is somehow unclear to you? For most of them, this is the first time they have even set foot in a dojo of any make or description, and I have pointed out, here and on the site, that a firsty spar occurs before any instruction is given. So how, exactly, am I to teach them before I teach them?
    Okay this is called back tracking. They have now gone from 8 month to no training what so ever. You can't have it both ways. They either have some training or they don't.
    Secondly, the paths are descriptors, which you might have figured out, had you decided to read them. There's no chi malarky, it's a simple, basic idea of some of things yer gonna learn.

And of course I'm polite. I see no reason to be rude, it doesn't solve anything.
    Yet on your website you say
    Traditionalism, and why we don't pay it any heed.
    Yet, you have taken the 5 elements (replacing metal for void) and incorporated some of the philosophy. So, again you are contradicting yourself. Yep, those are traditional.

And what you saw, in those videos, in a non resisting opponent. The idea is to have the technique in your head, and practice it with resistence in class. So of course the opponent is going to stand there with their arm out like a fool. The technique video is not the full method of how we practice it in class, my apologies for any confusion.
    Yet, what you demonstrated was wrong on so many levels that it makes no sense. Poor technique+Poor Drilling=useless. If all your mechanics are wrong, which they are, you are failing on all levels.

Anyway. Though I am sure this will be seen as another evasion, I am leaving this conversation. Nothing new has been asked, nothing relevent is being brought up, and this is consuming entirely too much of my days off, and my time off, at work.

You have made your decisions, you did even before I came here to explain....some of you had ligitimate questions and concerns, which I have done my best to answer,
    Not true no one took you to task until you posted your first "explanation." Actually this is quite funny. No one really said anything horrible in the beginning. It was mainly after seeing the videos and contradictory statements that fired everyone up.

and some of you went with "ooo he's hitting a girl kill him!'...while failing to understand that treating the girls more softly than the males just re-enforces the erroneous need to, and then decided that somehow, my personal website and whatever communities I care to reside in are in any way relevent.
    Now this whole statement is bullshit. You just said these people are untrained. The women issue came up because you pummeled them worse than the men. Treating them as equal is correct. Treating them worse because of a fear of being "soft on women," is ridiculous. You bounced the girls head off the floor. Which video did you humiliate the guys like this? I'm all for equality not misogyny.
    But, hey. That's what a Bullshidoy thrashing is all about.
    Actually, this is nowhere near a thrashing at all. This has remained quite civil.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i cant find the sparring vids, someone link please

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 8:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and I like the subterfuge. Firsty spars this firsty spars that.

Explain the first end of class spars. You purposely separate these from the firsty spars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 8:28pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My .02

I will concur with the other members of the site that for all intents and purposes, the "Musashi Bar and Grill" appears to bear all the trappings of a MA cult.

Here are the red flags:

- context specific terminology and language unused outside the group.
    - overly long training sessions (all members must attend 6 hour long training sessions? Planned pre-and-post training socialization)
    - The 'firsty spar' - establishment of dominance/punishment within an established hierarchy (note the suffix, archy, he-who-claims-to-be-an-anarchist. Humiliation through internet posting)
    - Title of 'sensei' used outside its' cultural context, (again, an archist trapping) to denote ultimate authority
    - an apparent air of controlled groupthink (with all the video evidence available displaying your lack of skills, why wouldn't there be questions?)

I will agree with other members that this appears to exist for the sole reason to satisfy your own desire for power over others. I would not categorise your organization as a destructive cult as there seems to be little overt demand for money or that members ostracise themselves from the greater community.

However, scybermonk, I will implore you to stop your sparring practices in their current form,especially the 'firsty spars.' As a somewhat senior member of an established academy , if I saw another member attacking a new student who was clearly trying to disengage or being non-offensive in a sparring session...we would have words, at the very least.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 9:10pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question SCyber...you said that you spar with these people basicly fresh off the street. WHY?

Anyone with any sense is not going to take a person who has no training on their first day and then spar with them.

Unless beating on smaller women is what gets you off.

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 4:55am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monk, I know you said that you probably wont respond further in this thread, but I can only assume that you are still going to read it. Would it be all right with you if we met up half an hour or an hour earlier than we initially discussed? Sometime between 4:30 and 5 on the Thursday?

I was in there today and a couple of mates of mine who are prepping for a Muay Thai fight would like to use the ring after 5:30, and mat space is at a Premium from around 6 onwards on a Thursday so if possible I'd like to get our session over first.

If you don't respond, I'm sure we'll be able to confirm when you call me next Wednesday anyway. I just wanted to give you ample notice in case you need to make any alternate arrangements.

[off topic]
    - geez, those MT guys are hard. Some of the toughest bastards around IMHO.
    [/off topic]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 8:15am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyberMonk
    You guys keep pointing out all the mistakes that the students make in thier firsty matches against me. WHat part of Firsty is somehow unclear to you? For most of them, this is the first time they have even set foot in a dojo of any make or description, and I have pointed out, here and on the site, that a firsty spar occurs before any instruction is given. So how, exactly, am I to teach them before I teach them?

Secondly, the paths are descriptors, which you might have figured out, had you decided to read them. There's no chi malarky, it's a simple, basic idea of some of things yer gonna learn.
    You also have end of class spars, which are separated out. There are students there who are walking around with their hands down. They are presumably learning this from you. Even if _you_ can get away with walking around with your hands down because you are especially tough or something, your students probably cannot.

I read your path descriptions. I don't see the point. Even Judo, which is fairly traditional, classes its throws into sensible, clear things like "This is a hand technique", or "This is a hip technique". Knowing something is a hip technique is helpful. Calling something a "Water" technique is frippery.

You're introducing a lot of terminology which reads like you're making your own traditions. Judo calls its throws things like "Big Outer Reap". In Japanese, yes, but generally the throw names are what the throw is. "Sleeve turning lifting hip throw" is exactly that. It does not call it things like "Right Hateful Walking". What purpose does giving people "Dojo names" serve? I know, I know. You say it's a training tool. But really?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 10:38am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep JohnnyFive is seeing the same things I am.

Quote Originally Posted by IIF
    Explain the first end of class spars. You purposely separate these from the firsty spars.
    Anyway back to NSlightsout's points. To man cult is a strong word. It is the elephant in the thread we are all trying to avoid.

The thing that bothers me about your video list is you have renamed everyone with various anime characters. Yes, my child notice one of the names matched digimon, naruto, and a few obscure Anime I searched.

Now this wouldn't bother me so much but, your videos also have "unnamed student." Most videos I've seen have John vs Bill or even Tetsu vs Student. Unnamed, to me, means you are renaming students in your style. Mixed in with all the false traditional stuff you put in is very suspect IMO.

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 11:06am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    My .02

However, scybermonk, I will implore you to stop your sparring practices in their current form,especially the 'firsty spars.' As a somewhat senior member of an established academy , if I saw another member attacking a new student who was clearly trying to disengage or being non-offensive in a sparring session...we would have words, at the very least.
    Hello, my name is Bryan and I'm a nerd. <Hi, Bryan>

I've been to scifi conventions. I played Dungeons and Dragons up until about three years ago. I like video games, Battlestar Galactica, fantasy/scifi/comics -- almost everything nerdy. (Fortunately, I absolutely drew the line at LARPing even at the height of my nerddom -- even back then I just wanted to pucnh LARPers in the face.)

I still enjoy all these things -- but I also enjoy my wife, two kids, a good workout, and a good hard roll in my BJJ class.

I've witnessed, interacted with and personally known many Scybermonk's ilk throughout my nerd career.

They like to play at being fighters and martial artists. They make up stories. They surround themselves with similar, needy nerds. They have very little real training -- just enough to fake it to the uninformed.

They create their own little world to divorce themselves from the realities of their minimun wage, co-dependent Dungeons and Dragons lifestyles. They pose in idiotic pictures with lightsabers and make retarded videos. They don names taken from anime, or names like 'Scybermonk'.

Fortunately, I'm at a point in my life where I don't cross paths with these dweebs any longer, unless they've pulled their heads out of their asses and grown up.

Clearly, Scybermonk hasn't done this yet.

Maybe he will someday. Until then, I'd simply implore him to stop being a Martial LARPing tard-boy nerd because he's doing the martial arts and his students a big disservice.

Here's hoping for a good martial nerd beatdown. Knock some reality and some sense into these clowns. Please. Then make nice and have a beer. Scybermonk seems nice enough -- my vitriole is more directed at his ilk than him personally. He's young so a wake-up call could still put him on the right path... at least I hope so.