Our Sponsors:

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 1718192026 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:07pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's not forget that this is just a friendly meet up - not a beat down.

Really, it's a catch 22 for me. If I was to try and brutalize this fellow, I would be a jerk. If he beat the proverbial stuffing out of me, then that's obviously less than a favorable outcome for me also. I have absolutely nothing to gain from this. I'm just giving the man a chance to try out his techniques against an opponent who has had some training, and in a safe, controlled environment.

I don't want to "hurt" him, and am not particularly interested in sustaining any serious injuries myself due to recklessness.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat

Really, it's a catch 22 for me. If I was to try and brutalize this fellow, I would be a jerk. If he beat the proverbial stuffing out of me, then that's obviously less than a favorable outcome for me also. I have absolutely nothing to gain from this. I'm just giving the man a chance to try out his techniques against an opponent who has had some training, and in a safe, controlled environment.

I don't want to "hurt" him, and am not particularly interested in sustaining any serious injuries myself due to recklessness.

omg dedmete watns are 2 kill him

hong sau baby hellyeah

fightfightfightfightfightfightfightfightfightfight fightfight
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:25pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat

Typical ghey sportfighter comment. You guys and your 'rules' and 'safety' and 'technique'.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Vale Tudo ala Lovato

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would never meet up for a "friendly" sparring session with the "sensei." He has proven to have absolutely no control or technique, and that would lead to a very dangerous situation.

However, I can't say that I wouldn't take him in the ring should I go MMA....If he could get his tubby a** down to Welterweight. If that were the case, I would want it to be a sanctioned fight with referees and a state comission overseeing it. This would allow for the correct level of checks and balances for someone as lack-luster as him.

This is not to say that I am the sh*t or anything....it is just to say that as a mediocre martial artist, I can see what is going on with this guy and I don't understand how anyone would follow this guy. He has no technique, he beats on ladies that weigh tremendously less than him. He obviously does not teach breakfalls or anything to protect his students when they are being closelined by him. It seems like he has developed a following that he can overpower and intimidate for the express purpose of stroking his own ego. It's silly, and a reality check would be hillarious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:39pm

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    **** went bad if it was ever good .

I saw NO technical skill in the vids I watched .
    I'm with you. The kids stink, and Monk's gotten sloppy. It really used to be much better, and I'm painfully aware that I have no way to prove that. We had an ancient camera for one day and it never occurred to us to try to film the fights in five-second blocks. Instead we just shot some exercizes, and that was in 1998. (possibly 99) The core of the guys we had were all had formal training, and we built up a great cameraraderie beating on one another. It looked nothing like the fight vids that are up there now. Maybe it was because we were all big adult males, and didn't worry too much about breaking each other. There were no kids, no girls, nobody without at least some form of training.

Those vids are of us screwing around, pure and simple. The OZ vids are supposed to be for the student's benefit, so they can see what they're doing wrong. At this point, it's pretty much everything. I think all but two of them started from absolute scrratch.

I suppose the intent of filming the firsty spars is to show the students later how they've progressed, but that becomes rather moot if they A) don't progress or B) leave the class.

I know the vids show t3h 5uck. They're not there to show off how great the students are. I'm also aware that the utter lack of technique reflects very badly on the instructor. I have been making suggestions to him for some time on possible remedies, to no avail. This might be the wake-up call to overhaul the entire thing, and re-evaluate everything he knows.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:43pm

Style: Way of the Void

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, a bit much to reply to all of here.

First off, I was under the impression that we were discussing The Grill and the Void. While the reposting of the pictures and poetry...most of which was taken/written several years ago, I might add...and have absolutely nooooo relevence to the matter at hand.

You guys keep pointing out all the mistakes that the students make in thier firsty matches against me. WHat part of Firsty is somehow unclear to you? For most of them, this is the first time they have even set foot in a dojo of any make or description, and I have pointed out, here and on the site, that a firsty spar occurs before any instruction is given. So how, exactly, am I to teach them before I teach them?

Secondly, the paths are descriptors, which you might have figured out, had you decided to read them. There's no chi malarky, it's a simple, basic idea of some of things yer gonna learn.

And of course I'm polite. I see no reason to be rude, it doesn't solve anything.

And what you saw, in those videos, in a non resisting opponent. The idea is to have the technique in your head, and practice it with resistence in class. So of course the opponent is going to stand there with their arm out like a fool. The technique video is not the full method of how we practice it in class, my apologies for any confusion.

Anyway. Though I am sure this will be seen as another evasion, I am leaving this conversation. Nothing new has been asked, nothing relevent is being brought up, and this is consuming entirely too much of my days off, and my time off, at work.

You have made your decisions, you did even before I came here to explain....some of you had ligitimate questions and concerns, which I have done my best to answer, and some of you went with "ooo he's hitting a girl kill him!'...while failing to understand that treating the girls more softly than the males just re-enforces the erroneous need to, and then decided that somehow, my personal website and whatever communities I care to reside in are in any way relevent.

But, hey. That's what a Bullshidoy thrashing is all about.

My next input to this thread will be posting the fight video, uploaded to the MBG website for ease. I will be bringing a digital camera with me to the Gold Coast. Deadmeat, expect a call on wednesday night to set up the particulars. I may go down a bit early and wander around.

If you have anything to ask, go ahead and email me. Monk@scybermonk.net. Don't expect a quick reply, as my internet is screwy, but you WILL get a reply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:47pm

Style: Way of the Void

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deadmeat: I have zero intention of trying to jump on you and beat the everliving **** out of you. I'm just stoked to have someone to spar with outside of the Grill. I assure you, I'm neither expecting to dish out, nor recieve, any kind of thrashing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:48pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have resisted the temptation to comment on this for a bit now. But I finally went to SCybermonk's site. And...hold on, can't type. I am wretching. ok, better...anyways, this is the one thing I came away with:

At the age of 11, I was put into boarding school, and was stuck there till I was 16. However, in that time, I managed to earn 3 blue ribbons in horse riding competitions, improve the quality of the food(through constant bitching and a grandmother on the board), sleep with a staff member, and basiclly cause total hell in such a way that they could do nothing about me. I also caught a 3 foot bass, how cool is that? Also, at the age of 15, I was going to enter the Catholic Seminary, as I was at that time a devout Catholic. Fortunatly, I came to my senses, and am now a Discordian. All emphasis courtesy of Necroth.

He seems like such a good Catholic boy, sleeping with staff at a boarding school. My question: is he planning on getting some of the money the Catholic diocese is putting away for priests sleeping with young boys?

But on a more important note....Discordian?! Thelemics I can handle. The OTO crowd always struck me as people who could take a good joke. I mean, anyone who reads Crowley can't be that humourless. But Erisians?!? Now there's a lackluster group of numbskulls who don't comprehend true Anarchy. I mean, it explains alot about this whole Bar and Grill thing if you think about it.

Crappy fighting, elemental mishmash, attitudes and egos. Of course. Anyone of the Golden Apple kiddos is going to wreak total havoc and be unable to take anything truly seriously. BTW, for those that don't know what Erisians/Golden Apple kids/Discordians are, be happy that you don't. The knowledge is frightening, to say the least. And totally useless, much like Trivial Pursuit answers.

But on a related note, for a Discordian, his "sparring rules" sure are...totalitarian, dictatorlike, almost like a form of ordered government. Oh, wicked burn on the Erisian! But I digress.

What's worse is that he completes the deadly triad of discordian, LARP'er (in martial arts AND in...reality? No, I guess roleplaying wouldn't be called reality...), and Goth/Vampire/Idiot. Funny thing, that deadly triad, it creates a very hard wall of twisted (il)logic to fight against. Discordians truly believe the verbal shite they spew most times, and we all know how LARPers can be (search "LARP" and read any of the threads, for those who haven't witnessed this), but it's the Vampire part that's really throwing me. I fear people who delude themselves this far. Most who believe such nonsense border on dementia and schizophrenia, with a hefty side of bipolar, manic depression and an inability to fathom complex, social interactions (ie., Social Anxiety Disorder). Anyone meeting with or in anyway interacting with SCyber should be wary of this.

Edit-

And if you don't want the personal site, sites your tied to and any information outside of your art attacked, questioned, or in anyway brought up, then why do you make it a point to detail your life's history as part of your artform?
    Last edited by Necroth; 8/15/2007 6:54pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 6:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Vale Tudo ala Lovato

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will call you on the "firsties" and the other fights in issue....based on ONE thing. These students are being thrown without being taught how to fall. As an instructor this makes you morally and possibly legally( I don't know aussi law all that well) liable if one of these "students" were to get hurt by being taken by these techniques.

Seriously, pride should come through true instruction that can at least protect your students, let alone the BS that you are doing where you are beating on people with little control when it is their first class and they haven't any experience or technique to present. Unfortunately, you technique is so weak that you are not able to protect them from their incompetence which lends its self to the ultimate incompetence....a teacher who has no reason or ability to truely teach. I can not imagine what would have happened to any of the Gracies, Machados, etc if they would just randomly throw the newest person in class without teaching them how to fall.

We won't even go into the rest at this point.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well ... I know first hand ... quite well actually ... what a bunch of trained people dicking around looks like .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9AV6TLym6I

Most of us in this vid : suck , are rusty , hobbiests , noobs , or injured . Some of us are a combination of the above , I don't think any of us were serious beyond learning and exploring what we know .

There are tons of better throwdown videos out there with much better martial artists in them (but Kai did a damn good job on the music ) .

Get some real training Monk , because I also know what clueless people wrastling round and boxin' looks like .

Link to the grill videos goes here .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994