Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by deadmeat
    To be frank, you have been pretty evasive in responding to questions about your formal training, and I haven't watched the clips of you sparring, so I have no idea what your skill level is. If your students pay you money in return for tuition, and you are not qualified to teach them, I personally feel that it is inappropriate on your part.
    He is way ahead of you djrand. If syber shows up he does deserve points. Go read the coda thread and see how many years it took to get the guy to spar.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by djrand
    Also I just found this on his website. www.scybermonk.net
    His own accounting of his training, albeit could just as likely be bullshit.

Now I dont know if he is meaning to spell taijutsu or if it is just something I have never heard of. Below is a link to the page that quote came from, I`m really starting to think there is a bit of mental instability at work here.

www.scybermonk.net/about.htm

Since when does an EEG ADD electricity, it reads brainwaves, it's not electro-shock therapy.

What an idiot.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wasn't the ninja Hedge choked and tapped in Texas some sort of "Elemental" ninja.

If I remember right he was talking about earth, air, fire, and water techniques and other such nonsense. That kid was also helplessly delusional and self-aggrandizing to a pitiful fault.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The elemental powers bullshit goes back through most of recorded history, and is the refuge of charlatans and LARPers since dishonesty and stupidity became the passtimes of the also-rans.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It Is Fake
    He is way ahead of you djrand. If syber shows up he does deserve points. Go read the coda thread and see how many years it took to get the guy to spar.
    If he actually shows up I can certainly appreciate that, Im just saying that im my opinion it really fails to change anything about the situation, we can see his training methods are dangerous, and his technique is questionable at best just from watching his videos. Best case scenario here is that deadmeat beats him so easily that he finally see's that he needs to quit teaching this nonsense and find a gym.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:58pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right. No one has said it does. We all think, no matter what, he is being silly hurting women and teaching people incorrect methods.

I think he is arrogant for questioning a verifiable teacher when, he has nothing verifiable himself.

Still if he shows I will give him credit for that an that only.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:06pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyberMonk
    JOHNNY FIVE: Unfortunately, when I first started teaching, I did not have access to a digital camera that could record more than five seconds of time, so I didn't have the ability to record any firsty spars. I am well aware that fighting tiny, inexpereinced people doesn't prove a damn thing in regards to my ability to fight. Those videos are not there to prove I can fight. They are there so the student can review them. But I have fought people as good as me, better than me, and bigger than me. In one instance, I wasn't able to achieve a clear victory, so we just fought until we both decided it was time for sushi. And against someone capable of inflicting egregious bodily damage, I wouldn't let my hands drop low, they would be right up where I need them. As I pointed out, my tactics suit my opponent. Pretty much everyone has disagree'd with this, and that's great, people should have their own opinion. As for appropriate reaction, when the technique is initially taught, so they can get the feel for it, there is no resistence. That lasts maybe two lessons, then, every time the technique is practiced, there is resistence, dodging, and counters on the part of the target. There's no point in practicing a technique on a dummy who isn't going to fight back. If i wanted that, I would go buy a dummy who..er...can't fight back. heh. And I prefer to fight people my size. Fighting tiny people doesn't help me develop myself, and I am in class to learn just as much as my students are.
    Well, as long as you're fighting people who are bigger and better than you. Being a big fish in a small pond is pretty meaningless.

I do want to say, however, that by looking at your students, a lot of them are keeping their hands down as well -- even when they are fighting you, who we should probably presume can punch. This is probably something they are learning from you. Aren't you concerned by that? Some of your students are just walking into a fight, their hands down by their sides. Do they also know that their opponents won't hit them hard enough to bug them?

If you're teaching something, you need to know it very, very well. In Judo, you're supposed to be a 3rd Dan before you call yourself 'sensei'. Unfortunately, some people want to be 'teachers' because there's a certain power dynamic going on. For example: In Judo, sometimes a lower belt will say something like "It seems like your pull should have been in a different direction with the last throw." Sometimes they're right, and I thank them for helping me. Another time, a visiting ninja came by the class and tried to correct my o-uchi gari completely incorrectly. (He told me that I should hook one leg around the other person's, and then shove.) Why would he do a thing like that, when it was clear he didn't know the first thing about o-uchi gari? He wanted to be a 'teacher'.

Are you sure you've taken away all the trappings of traditionalism and useless heirarchy and everything to make some sort of utopian martial arts discovery center? Or have you just remade a hierarchy with you on top? Is there any particular reason for naming things 'fire' and 'earth' and whatever? Or is that just another kind of wacky 'tradition', but /your/ tradition? I mean, special vocabularies? Naming your students? This doesn't really read like you're stripping away uselessness from the martial arts, it sounds like you're just adding your own.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 2:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, do you teach at both locations or is your homebase Ohio?

Does Kuma take other MAs or is he beholden to you?

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 3:51pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my there is poetry on his personal website. Is anyone a professional psychologist:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.scybermonk.net
    Two men

An infinite gulf in ten steps.

Steel arms, the glint of death

A change of breeze, a whistle of edge

Metal clashes, once, twice, thrice.

Somwhere, a man falls.
    Somewhere, a tear drops.
    A blade returned to the sheath.
    A body returned to the ground.

The world goes on.
    Add some photographic evidence to the mix.

"Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 4:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    Are you sure you've taken away all the trappings of traditionalism and useless heirarchy and everything to make some sort of utopian martial arts discovery center? Or have you just remade a hierarchy with you on top? Is there any particular reason for naming things 'fire' and 'earth' and whatever? Or is that just another kind of wacky 'tradition', but /your/ tradition? I mean, special vocabularies? Naming your students? This doesn't really read like you're stripping away uselessness from the martial arts, it sounds like you're just adding your own.
    Reverend Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple had similar......ummm....."traditions".