Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:42pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I just spoke with Scyber, and he's all set for next Thursday. He seemed reasonable and friendly over the phone. Thus far he's earned a bonus point for following through on his suggestion.

The most evil of men will smile to your face while plotting your death.

Not saying he is ...just saying keep your guard up.

Also if you don't have a camera do you have a friend or someone who would be willing to use theirs ?

I mean if sscyber doesnt have one ....also do you have any places that you can rent one.

just some suggestions.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off good on you for stepping up in a respectable manner.

Hopefully, you don't think I'm knocking you.

Make sure he signs a waiver. No matter what. If he balks you know something is up.
    I know you are making it as fair as possible but, you sound like you are in shape. He may well be also but, that little fight you suggested would be rough for a fairly in shape guy.

He has an admitted spare tire, I doubt he could keep up. Just dictate what happens when you meet. Outline the rules of course but rounds and stuff figure out as you go.

Also, make sure he shows you ID before he signs the waiver.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupVeteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:57pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    First off good on you for stepping up in a respectable manner.

Hopefully, you don't think I'm knocking you.
    Of course not mate. Thus far you've given me good advice.

Make sure he signs a waiver. No matter what. If he balks you know something is up.
    I know you are making it as fair as possible but, you sound like you are in shape. He may well be also but, that little fight you suggested would be rough for a fairly in shape guy.
    In regards to being in shape, I pretty much feel like crap by the end of a session like the one I originally suggested, but I get through it each week. The grappling fatigues me the most. I had almost two years off training due to an injury, and have been training regularly again since the start of this year, when I took up judo.

He has an admitted spare tire, I doubt he could keep up. Just dictate what happens when you meet. Outline the rules of course but rounds and stuff figure out as you go.
    Is there a standard Bullshido waiver form? That would be ideal. I'm not really inclined to draft something myself.

Also, make sure he shows you ID before he signs the waiver.
    Fine by me. I can appreciate that this needs to be done - it's outside of what I'm used to in relation to meeting up with people to spar, but it all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:00am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No not really. You guys are meeting in a learning manner. It isn't a fight etc.

Your gym waiver would suffice of course, make sure your Instructor approves.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm... that's interesting. Well, I have a current first aid certificate, and I'm pretty sure Allan (the guy who owns the gym) is capable of providing first aid to me should I need it. I'm not intending on throwing any heavy leather myself. Light striking at a medium pace, and as for the grappling, I'll just work guard for starters and see how he goes.

The way I'm looking at it, Monk has made a claim as to his ability, and I am giving him an opportunity to demonstrate it. That shouldn't require him to try and knock me out to prove a point.

How about one boxing, one kickboxing, one MMA, and one grappling round, followed by however many rounds of whatever else he feels like doing?

edit: maybe I should watch these sparring videos and see what I'm getting myself into.

I think your earlier idea of a couple of rounds of each would probably be better. Working with someone new sometimes takes more than a round to get in your "groove". Just my take on things though.

Hey Deadmeat, I may have missed it in this thread, but what's your martial arts background? Just to put things in perspective for us casual Bullshido viewers. :)

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupVeteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic
    I think your earlier idea of a couple of rounds of each would probably be better. Working with someone new sometimes takes more than a round to get in your "groove". Just my take on things though.

Hey Deadmeat, I may have missed it in this thread, but what's your martial arts background? Just to put things in perspective for us casual Bullshido viewers. :)
    No worries mate. My introductory post to this forum contains my training background:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55241

In a nutshell, I dabbled in Shotokan Karate (My father is an old-school Shotokan guy who trained in Yugoslavia during the 50's/60's) and boxing intermittently until late 98. Trained consistently and regularly in MMA at a well known and accomplished MMA school (Shin Do) from early 2000 until late 2004. Started sparring again around the end of 2006, and took up judo at the very beginning of 2007. I hold a Blue Belt in Shin Do (which is basically submission wrestling/no gi jj and Muay Thai), and am currently a lowly Yellow belt in Kodokan Judo under Wayne Matheson of the Judo Federation of Australia. I do ten rounds of sparring with a Muay Thai guy (former Strikeforce/Final Contact gym), who is now taking BJJ under Daniel Lima.

Incidently, in Shin Do, there are no new techniques after greenbelt. Blue Brown and Black Belts are awarded through proven ability to execute the core techniques of the style in intense gradings consisting of 10, 15, and 20 round MMA-style bouts respectively. I was due to grade for my Brown Belt when I left Shin Do, but wasn't able to train enough to meet the required fitness standard after popping my floating rib.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries mate. My introductory post to this forum contains my training background:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55241

In a nutshell, I dabbled in Shotokan Karate (My father is an old-school Shotokan guy who trained in Yugoslavia during the 50's/60's) and boxing intermittently until late 98. Trained consistently and regularly in MMA at a well known and accomplished MMA school (Shin Do) from early 2000 until late 2004. Started sparring again around the end of 2006, and took up judo at the very beginning of 2007. I hold a Blue Belt in Shin Do (which is basically submission wrestling/no gi jj and Muay Thai), and am currently a lowly Yellow belt in Kodokan Judo under Wayne Matheson of the Judo Federation of Australia. I do ten rounds of sparring with a Muay Thai guy (former Strikeforce/Final Contact gym), who is now taking BJJ under Daniel Lima.

Incidently, in Shin Do, there are no new techniques after greenbelt. Blue Brown and Black Belts are awarded through proven ability to execute the core techniques of the style in intense gradings consisting of 10, 15, and 20 round MMA-style bouts respectively. I was due to grade for my Brown Belt when I left Shin Do, but wasn't able to train enough to meet the required fitness standard after popping my floating rib.
    That was a great introductory post! Sounds like you have a really good training regime. As a recent Yankee transplant to Oz I'm having fun discovering the martial arts scene here. I'm pretty new to this, bout a year of boxing, kickboxing and grappling, but I really love the workout and atmosphere that you get in good gyms.

Anyways, back on topic, it sounds like you've got a good sparring session lined up. If you guys could video tape it that would be cool.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm fine with the session being taped. Only issues for me are that I don't have a functional camera, and I don't know of anyone who would be available to do the filming.

Are there any Bullies in the area who would be keen to come along? Maybe do a couple of rounds as well?

jtkarate made a good suggestion about borrowing a camera, and I'd be happy to ask around. I've got about a week until Monk comes up to visit.

Whereabouts in Oz are you based Chaotic?

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm fine with the session being taped. Only issues for me are that I don't have a functional camera, and I don't know of anyone who would be available to do the filming.

Are there any Bullies in the area who would be keen to come along? Maybe do a couple of rounds as well?

jtkarate made a good suggestion about borrowing a camera, and I'd be happy to ask around. I've got about a week until Monk comes up to visit.

Whereabouts in Oz are you based Chaotic?
    I'm down in Sydney, so I'm a bit too far away. Otherwise I'd love to join as the token crappy boxer / grappler with little training. :)

Achievements:

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bullshido Bullies I met up with on the 4th of August in Sydney are probably going to be doing a regular meetup at Larry Papadopoulos' gym "Boxing Works". You should get in touch with Lilly, Arhetton, or Born Sceptic. They are all very nice and sensible in their training approach. Also, it's worth going just to meet Larry Papadopoulos - he's world famous.
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast