Posted On:
    8/13/2007 1:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kujng fu (general)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gout

Hi folks

I'll be blunt. I have gout. In my case its casued becuase my kindneys work insufficiantly. I went under a transplant 8 years ago but these last 6 months have been when gout has actually registerd. I thought it was under controll since a few days ago aswell, but now its flared up again - all on the dime of a shot of run I took on friday. A measley shot of rum.

Im trying to get the doc on the phone but im reconing theres only so much he's going to say.,

Before things flared up i thought i was fine, and since I was taking 200mg of alupuranol a day, I didnt have any reason to fear taking a drink. One drink

But now im in bloody agony. I was going to start training this week aswell just becuase I felt so good, but now? I cant even wiggle my toe.

Has anyone here had gout? Fucking horrible isnt it, but anything people can offer in terms of additional treatment to insure something like this doesnt happen again, id be endebted.

Cheers for your time.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:04am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fortunately, I have not had Gout but I recall a work colleague who did. His foot (big Toe) would flare up etc. His comment was that it was as a result of the Rich Food he ate (he had been a professional Royal Navy chef). He also said that Gout was the result of Urea crytallising in the joints and the foot (toes) were the favoured area.

His solution was to change his diet and cut out (or reduce) his intake of Rich Food (damn hard if you're a trained Chef). For you, it is probably a result of our kidney condition so here's hoping that you get well soon.

FYI, and I know it's a poor comparison, but catching a toe in a gap in the map is very painful and worse when it's your big toe, as it supports your standing weight.

Best Wishes.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had gout several fucking times and it sucks. During my last attack I googled gout remedies and discovered cherries were supposed to help. I tried it and they worked really well, within a few hours of pigging out on them I was able wiggle my big toe a little and put my shoe on without weeping. It took about the usual amount of time to clear up but the cherries really helped me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 11:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all your imput guys, much appreciated. I know its not the usual thing that gets discussed on these boards and all, so thanks very much for baring with us.

Cherries - aye mate, they're good for when your going through one, much like a fryup with your hangover, but I was really meaning somehing for the more long term kind of thing - keeping it at bay.

I've been to see the doctor today and he said to remember to drink alot of water and stay off the protein as a main source of food for a couple of months - make sure it really beds down. Hes also upped the dose of alluporanol to 300 mg for anyone in a similar predicament.

Quick question - If a lanky **** like myself wished to start up boxing and weight training that may involve 2 hours a day, 6 days a week - would the lack of protein for recovery put you in hospital - more to the point what else can I use to keep my order? Carbs? Pasta?

Thanks everyone, and appolgies for the slight variation in discussion now :D

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP, do you suffer from hyperuricemia?

To answer your question: well, protein is not really for recovery. It is a needed nutrient, from where the muscles are basically build from. Recovery is mainly a function of eating enough calories to keep you going, rest well as well as taking other supplements that you MAY NEED (glutamine comes to mind.)

However, since you have a condition on your kidneys, and gout flaring up right now, I would not recommend taking any supplements at all, not even the greatly beneficial glutamine.

I goes without saying that you cannot drink, ever. Please don't drink again. It sucks, but you really don't have much of an option unless you want to live in pain.

The good old wiki has some interesting information on gout (and on what diet you need to use): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout

So basically, make sure you drink enough water and stay away from red meats, fish, poultry, tofu and lentins (small amounts of tofu and poultry seem ok when you don't have a flare up.) You may want to consider vegeterianism (low sodium and low sugars to top it off) with plenty of mushrooms and califlower/brocolli, berries and moderate amounts of fats such as olive oil. Dairy products seem to decrease the incidence of gout (though I doubt the salty varieties of cheese, like feta, are a good idea.)

Good luck dude.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 2:31pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Loren Cordain did some good research regarding gout and its causes.

You can find the research and article here: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/newslett...DN_Vol2No4.pdf

Cheers

Bry

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 5:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Bry, that was most interesting.

So its bascially saying - loads of red meat, fish, vegies - but lay off the booze and the stuff with sugar in it?

Did I get that right?

Sounds like a plan like.

Im starting up my first training day on monday - an hour and a half of boxing.

Im going to eat two cans of beans as a way to recover. Hopfully this should be along the right likes as this guy paleo's been putting.

Please correct me if thats totally the opposite of what i should be doing.

And Thanks El_macho for info but becoming a purly veggie eater would be way to dull to last tbh.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 5:35pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Middlefinger
    I've had gout several fucking times and it sucks. During my last attack I googled gout remedies and discovered cherries were supposed to help. I tried it and they worked really well, within a few hours of pigging out on them I was able wiggle my big toe a little and put my shoe on without weeping. It took about the usual amount of time to clear up but the cherries really helped me.
    I know someone who suffers from it as well and they also said that the cherries really helped.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im going to eat two cans of beans as a way to recover. Hopfully this should be along the right likes as this guy paleo's been putting.
    beans are not paleo, iirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2007 8:32am

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry I hadn't answered your question sooner.
    The beans aren't paleo. If you are looking for recovery from a hard work out, I would stick with fruit. If you really expend yourself you can go with sweet potatoes.
    When I first switched to paleo eating, the first two weeks where rough with the cutting out of carbs from grains. Now my body is used to it and I don't have any problems with recovery or energy.
    One of the key points of paleo is getting rid of processed foods also.
    Basically you want to cut out grains (wheat, corn, oats, rice), processed sugars, processed foods in general, legumes(beans, peanuts) and low fat meats.
    But just as important, you want to up your fruit and veggie intake drastically. Replace the portion of your meals that you use to eat grains with veggies. Stick with fresh or frozen veggies as much as possible. Frozen are generally cheaper and if you steam them it doesn't really matter.

After a couple of weeks you should be feeling like a new person. Your PH balance should be closer to being online so you should feel better from that. You will feel better from not having processed foods in your system, you should be sick less (can't remember the last time I had a cold/flu/bug). You should lose some weight. If that isn't your goal, then you can up the intake of nuts\seeds and avacados and such.

If you can eat paleo 80% of the time, you will reap the benefits. There are people out there that don't agree with this eating style, but I have been doing it for about 18 months now and won't ever go back.

Hope that helps and keep me posted on how your gout is doing.

Cheers

Bry