Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Cuang Nhu

Style
    Kakutogi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judomofo
    HOLY SHEIT ASIA! I didn't know you went to FAMU and FSU. (I did it as a free thing for FSU, this was many years ago. I used to help run the Intermural Judo club there in the combatatives room. (I live in Tally) I did the Coung Nhu for a little bit there too as sort of a means of getting to know more people. It was probably about 8 to 10 years ago, somewhere around there. Somewhere in the 98 to 2000 time frame.

I agree with you, it wasn't all bad. There was some applicable stuff, some total crap.

Was Khang Boui one of the instructors when you went there?
    I was there between 93 and 97. The guy the mainly taught the class was a Japanese student named Tomohiro (don't remember the rest of his name) he was a asst instructor but I don't remember the main instructor for FSU. The teacher at FAMU was a stocky black guy. I don't remember his name either.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Style
    wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to FSU and have 2 friends who take Cuong Nhu (sp). Technique-wise, they seem to be covering a vast range of techniques going from punches, kicks, to throws. However, the one time I watched them spar it didn't seem like they could fight all that well, any of them for that matter. Just keep in mind the person teaching all these moves may be more qualified in one area than another so take everything with a grain of salt. Maybe you could try the MMA club there then Cuon Nhu Right after it? On fridays Cuong Nhu goes from 6-8pm in the combatives room and MMA goes from 8-10.

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunatly, the clubs were closed yesturday until the 24th or so. I ended up aimlessly wandering around tully gym waiting to see if anyone had any idea about anything, and finally left at 8:30.

I do think that I'll take the MMA club over Cuang Nhu, though. I'm going to give it a shot first. I must have missed it when I looked over the club list and probably filtered it out.

So I'll give them a try on a later date.

yay.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy shiet, more T-Town peeps.

FSU fight club is alright, occasionally Josh Odom (IFL fighter goes over there to work stand up with Bobby) and it is alright as far as an intermural activity. Aside from Bobby, it is pretty much a rotating door, with none of them really getting fights or anything.

If you are really interested in MMA there are two pretty decent places in town (not Free like the FSU one though) Tallahassee Mixed Martial Arts is your best bet for getting fights, we just got a new facility that is pretty kick ass. The other club in town has some decent guys, but none of them go to any fights or anything. But they got a BJJ black belt there, and a good Muay Thai instructor. However they do no No Gi work.

But yeah, for Free definately go to the FSU fight club group there at the combatatives room in Tully, I swing in there every now and then, they always have a good work out, and a good group of peeps to train with.

Though I thought the MMA group was from during the week (not just on Fridays) and earlier than that (I want to say they start at 6).

I will find out if they had to change, some of that **** gets changed from semester to semester as clubs have to vie for the combatatives room. I used to help run the Intermural Judo club there, and we always had to deal with slight shifts in our schedule from semester to semester depending on the board. But we did get free money for going to tournaments and the like, which was cool. But I have heard they have pretty much cut down on that.

Feel free to PM me if you want any info on pretty much any Martial Arts in Tallahassee.

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last semester, as far as I know, the MMA club met from 6-8 on Mondays and Wednesdays in the combatives room. I guess Friday evenings, too. There's also the Aikido club (which I'm just plugging because I'm in it and we could use some new blood) from 8 to 9:30 or 9:45 Monday, Wednesday and maybe Tuesday or Thursday. Cuong Nhu was before us at 6 on Tuesdays and Thursdays last semester. Again, the times change every semester so it's really difficult to say. I think classes start again next week, but it wouldn't be the first time I've stood in that hallway cold and alone.

Does anyone know if the Wushu club is still swinging (thier arms and legs wildly)?

JudoMoFo, is there any Judo in Tally anymore? I did TCC for a couple of semesters, but their class schedule is not really convenient anymore. Plus, no summer class has allowed me to get flabby and lazy.
    Last edited by Blix; 8/16/2007 1:00pm at .

Style
    wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MMA Club goes from 6-8PM on Monday and Wednesday. On Fridays it is 8-10PM. Like someone said earlier, the talent there is totally random from session to session. However, I must say that there are some good boxers and good no-gi grapplers that are regulars there. As far as grappling, nobody there is anymore than a mid lvl bluebelt there as far as jits go. Hell, just show up and check it out, I'll be back up next Wednesday and start training then if i can unpack everything in time. Just look for the asian kid :).

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the delayed response guys, been out of town working.

As far as Judo in Tallahassee, there is sadly not much going on, some of the old instructors are teaching at the YMCA on the Parkway, but unforunately there are not a lot of adults there, so most of the old guard from that group is doing BJJ, and MMA at Tallahassee Fight Club. However we are looking to get something going again once Fred Hand gets through some stuff.

We have a solid group of people kind of waiting in the wings I guess. Ato Hand (2000 100kg Olympian, 96 Alternate, All State Wrestler) has talked about doing some MMA or possibly working on a Judo come back after he graduates this semester. Mainly I am floating around TCC when I get the time, and waiting for Fred to decide what he wants to do as far as getting a club going again. A lot of our National Level competetors are still in town floating around with BJJ and No Gi right now.

echsos = Arthur?

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got an email saying that the gym is closed for the rest of the week. Apparently they're refurbishing the mats. So, whoopie.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Ato came to our class once, unfortunately on Judo history video day, but he looks like a terrifying MF.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL! Ato isn't nearly as scary as his dad! I will never forget the time that I was lifted 6ft into the air by my balls... no... seriously, Fred Hand straight up picked my up by my scrote and slammed me with Te Garuma, it is his signature throw. He is the reason Ato is so scary lol

Consider this for good genes. Fred has 3 children.

1. 6'3"ish, about 245 (cuts to 220lbs) two time Olympian, multi time National Champ in Judo (turned down football Scholarships at FSU, Alabama, and UF to pursue Judo career)

2. 6'5" 260ish, bench presses 520lbs, former starting defensive end for Tennessee, plays in the NFL.

3. (Not sure how tall) tall daughter, that plays NCAA division one womens basketball.

Talk about some damn good genes.

Yeah playing Ato or Brian Olson, really gives you some insight, those guys are on another level.

The gym at TCC closed, or the gym at FSU?

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I hope he opens a new gym soon. I'd love to have him and his children beat the hell out of me.

Sorry, FSU. Hopefully specifically the combatives room. Although, the TCC mats could use a good scrubbing, too.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last