Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Cuang Nhu

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cuang Nhu

Does anyone know anything in particular about this martial art?

There's a club a my university that I was thinking of joining, but I want to know if it in general is a BS.

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To help make my first post a bit more clear, I'll include the site's web page. It talks about hard-soft techniques, allowing the newbies to acclimate to martial arts with harder techniques, and then as they become more experienced, introduce soft techniques. The sensei says that he has 45 years of martial arts experience, and the martial art is from '67 in Viet-nam or something like that.

I know that I should look for aliveness in training, and good sparring practices. There seems to be a lot of board breaking in their photos, but that's just because they make for good pictures, I'm guessing.

Take a look at the site, and if anyone has any input, please do so.
    http://geocities.com/bamboodojo/index.html

After a search on the forums, all I've heard is that it's TKD gone to 'Nam. Nothing real definitive other than lul tkd nam.

Style
    ti da shuai na
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The founder of the system lived in Gainesville, Florida, where I attended university. I had several friends who trained with him. The ones who were frustrated with the lack of contact sparring ended up coming over to a friend's kungfu school for open sparring sessions. None of them could fight, including the black belts.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    The founder of the system lived in Gainesville, Florida, where I attended university. I had several friends who trained with him. The ones who were frustrated with the lack of contact sparring ended up coming over to a friend's kungfu school for open sparring sessions. None of them could fight, including the black belts.
    That surprises me:

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just inherited a person who did this art. They're not bad technique wise and they are participating in grappling and doesn't seem to be shying away from actual contact.

Style
    Fitness-Fu and Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Coung Nhu from '94-'98.
    As a beginner you start off with the basic pinan kata from shotkan, basic throws/sweeps from judo, and ukemi. Later it progresses into stuff from aikido and _ing _chun. And then some basic bo/tanbo work.

Who your instructor is will depend on where your lessons will lean. I had a couple of instructors, one was a hard core shotokan guy who did some kickboxing, so when he taught it was all shotokan. The other two were judo and jiujitsu players, so when they taught it was all throws and newaza.

Go check it out and let us know what you observe.

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll see tomorrow (8/14). If the work-out is better than TKD, I'll stay for three nights a week, and do TKD two.

Got a couple of weeks to do some training with them, so I'll see how it goes.

Style
    Kakutogi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They offered this at FAMU and FSU when I was when I was there. I took it for a semester, then my parents got pissed that I was wasting tuition money on a MA class. They had a point for what I paid to take this class at the University I could have done a lot more in other schools.* I thought of it as a Shotokan knockoff because of the kata we had to do . Wasn't great but wasn't horrid.

*To clarify at FSU it was a free club at FAMU it was an credited PE class listed as KARATE/TEAKWONDO.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HOLY SHEIT ASIA! I didn't know you went to FAMU and FSU. (I did it as a free thing for FSU, this was many years ago. I used to help run the Intermural Judo club there in the combatatives room. (I live in Tally) I did the Coung Nhu for a little bit there too as sort of a means of getting to know more people. It was probably about 8 to 10 years ago, somewhere around there. Somewhere in the 98 to 2000 time frame.

I agree with you, it wasn't all bad. There was some applicable stuff, some total crap.

Was Khang Boui one of the instructors when you went there?

Style
    TKD, MT, KEMPO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They had a big, long time school in Berkeley Ca. The Grand master, from what I heard, actually lost interest in Martial Arts and got into doing marathons and iron mans. Then he died. Lot's of butch lesbians in the local photo's but it's Berkeley, so, you know the drill...

P.S. Couldn't you take Judo at your university?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last