Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 12:57am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main thing is how you re-chamber the leg. If you just bend at the knee and re-extend, you might as well just his him with your limp dick for the damage it will do (unless you're wearing a savate shoe and hitting with the toe that is). I find if you can recock the kick at the hip (or use uncocking at the hip to throw the second kick), you can double up with actual power. Recocking the hip give you sidekick-sidekick roundkick-roundkick stuff, uncocking is side-round, side-hook, round-hook, hook-round, front-axe etc. Doing it in the air is hard as hell because your leg doesn't want to stop in midair, so actually hitting something and using the impact to literally bounce off and back into position helps a great deal. :bssign:

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 2:53am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big fan of throwing a sidekick after a missed roundkick, because lots of people will move back to evade, then try to rush in with an attack when your kick passes them. There's an example of this at around 20 seconds, before I get hook kicked in the face.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3D7xV_gZQ

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 4:05am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming "double kicks" refer to kicks you do with the same leg, but land on the ground before kicking again (even though you said otherwise).

If you don't land them, it could work if you're doing it under karate full-contact knockdown rules without punches to the head. There are techniques for doing leg kicks that way. If face punches are allowed, I don't think it'll work.

-Can the second one include enough body movement to generate power? If so, how?
    In Muay Thai, the 2nd kick is done without turning the body back. The supporting foot is supposed to stay pointed to the side and body facing the side. To generate power you have to use the arm swing and some leg strength, and by "stretching" the hip.

-Can they be fast enough without too much power sacrifice?
    They can be very fast, but the power I can generate is not KO-inducing though. I don't know about others. But enough to do some damage if my shin lands on a leg or the ribs.

-Are there any known MMA fighters or Kickboxers who use them?
    Lots of muay thai fighters use it. I've seen Buakaw land it twice when fighting in K1. Some people vary the level (low, high) as many people tend to drop their hands after blocking the low kick. Buakaw does middle, middle though.

He's super fast and he notices that someone is not blocking his first kick (because their leg is dead from low kicks or something) and is not coming in to punch, and he throws a second to the same place.

-Do any of you use them?
    Not me. I've never tried to though. I'm probably not fast enough to do it. Some techniques are meant for certain weight classes, and I think this technique is probably more suitable for lighter folks.

For me it's used as a training drill to improve balance and speed.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 4:22am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I'm a big fan of throwing a sidekick after a missed roundkick, because lots of people will move back to evade, then try to rush in with an attack when your kick passes them. There's an example of this at around 20 seconds, before I get hook kicked in the face.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3D7xV_gZQ
    Codos,
    This is off-topic, but you'd get rid of a lot of your problems if you would just circle off to your right instead of backing straight up when you're attacked by a charger.

Practice your teeps (or side kicks of you prefer) too, make them powerful with your full bodyweight behind it, and very soon, you will discourage people who like to charge in to punch as you land kick after kick into their stomach.

If he's right handed, there is no way he can chase you when you circle to the right (he can't reach you with his power hand).

That's the easiest solution. Circle off to your right, then if he chases, throw a right cross and follow it up with a leg kick or knee if he's too close.

The next best solution is to stick one arm out into his face to foil the punches and stop the momentum, with your other arm covering your face with your palm forwards (your forehead should be on the top of your forearm), then either:

a) snake the arm behind his neck and clinch and throw knees or

b) use the arm to create distance then step off to the right and inner low kick his front leg. You can also outer kick his front leg, but make sure you step off to the left at a 45 degree angle to avoid getting counter punched in the face.

The hardest solution is to pivot off 90 degrees clockwise then either switch and kick, or just kick with your rear leg depending on how his body ends up. This is what Buakaw uses, but it's difficult to pull off in sparring.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 9:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double kicks without touching the ground between kicks is nearly useless unless you are extremely talented ala Rick Roufus or Bill Wallace. The double round kick with a light touch on the ground like pplate mentioned is a solid technique in my opinion. Not really a beginner move but if you have some leg speed and practice on the bag you can land them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 12:43pm

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spar with a guy that does a decent amount of thigh-head double roundkicks. The head shots do not have KO power, but they sting pretty good even when blocked. His real trick is using that combo a few times to get your shin/foream block riding a little too high, then he comes in with very low shin kick to the supporting calf. I have been swept like this several times by him.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Codos,
    This is off-topic, but you'd get rid of a lot of your problems if you would just circle off to your right instead of backing straight up when you're attacked by a charger.
    I recently started training this more- I've been having a friend of mine to randomly straight blast in. I'm mostly accustomed to kyokushin esque body punching charger, but if a barrage starts coming in to my head I tend to move straight back (another side effect is that I don't always tuck my chin, so punches tend to whip my head back more assisting on the backwards motion). Anyway, I've been working on not flinching on barrages and going into the clinch.

Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Practice your teeps (or side kicks of you prefer) too, make them powerful with your full bodyweight behind it, and very soon, you will discourage people who like to charge in to punch as you land kick after kick into their stomach.
    I can throw hard teeps and side kicks, but we weren't sparring that hard. I didn't want to bring the wrath of full power kicking exchanges with Omega.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can occasionally get the thigh-head double roundhouse. However, I typically have more success throwing a couple of low kicks to get them used to it, faking a low kick, and rolling my hip over before unwinding the leg.
    I've also had some success faking an inside leg kick, and then rolling the hip over and skipping forward to throw at as a hook kick to the head.

:)

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've landed the double rounds (low high) in sparring, but the first is just to provoke the hand to drop...just a tap, or even a near miss type feint....the hip gives the high round the power...good move...if set up well....lots of jab cross low rounds...then just tack the high on at the end...after they start trying to catch, or block with the arm.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: Goju, mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to agree. The double kick is ok if that first is more of a feint to drop the guard, but as mentioned, unless you are extremely adept, ala Bill Wallace, the power of the second kick is more of mild strike than a KO strike.

Many are mentioning throwing the double roundhouse, but I also find use throwing a low side to the shin/knee and then a quick rechamber and side kick to the waist/chest. I find I can get a lot of power with the second side kick.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast