Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 2:17am

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickcatcher
    Also I thought his low block against said kick in the video was a bit over committal.
    Agreed, he had to lean down to reach it. He did however at least shift his body out of the way of the attack which is something. Although surely from that position it would be better to counter straight off, rather than block then counter?

The two techniques I had the biggest problem with were the one where he was in a clinch and defending against the knee. There's just no way someone is going to let you get that far away from them if they're controlling the clinch. The other was when the guy went for double underhooks, the space between them was vast, that just wouldn't be there if the guy had double underhooks, or is that just me?

While the original post was about this one particular video I think it would be good to expand the subject to talk about the Practical Taekwondo videos in general as it seems in this one Matt is just thinking on his feet and giving examples to a couple of students who happen to be filming it on their mobile phone.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickcatcher
    Mav, do you use the low block to attack the floating kidney?
    Hur hur.

I very rarely block at all. Blocks are something good for beginners and intermediate students to practice. As you advance the blocks have to change to parries. The low block shown in the video is, while typical, one of the worst ideas ever to come out of point-stop style and non contact karate and tae kwon do. Though people who don't know how to interpret forms for realistic application are to blame as well. That kind of low block is a wonderful way to destroy an arm. But besides that, he used a low block and a parry against the backside of a roundhouse kick. That situation is entirely out of the realm of any realism. As by the time one would step around the backside of a roundhouse kick one would be way too far away to bother with any blocking. In general, the application of the low block he demonstrates fails the Maverick Theory of Parrying. Circular techniques against straight line techniques, straight line techniques against circular techniques.

I'm glad you decided to be a good boy, KC. But make sure you don't make this forum your "Look at these crazy techniques" forum and flood it with these types of threads. Remember, you aren't starting from even ground, you're working your way out of a hole you've built dug with previous posting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 9:31pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know and respect that I am new to this forum so if I am out of line, please excuse me but can they not just end this thread, as well as kickcatcher or Fantasyt Warrior or whatever it's name is this week?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 9:32pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know and respect that I am new to this forum so if I am out of line, please excuse me but can they not just end this thread, as well as kickcatcher or Fantasyt Warrior or whatever it's name is this week?

poser

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 10:27pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not in line with Bullshido policy. While threads can be moved, I've never seen a thread locked for real and apparently it hasn't happened in, like, ever.

It's a bit of a Darwinist thing: threads people like stay, threads people don't like eventually die out. Doesn't work always, but locking threads is pointless anyway when you have places like Trollshido.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123