Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 1:28am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    While Kickcatcher's posts have been moved, I believe criticism of the video and Matthew Sylvester's to be completely valid.

His main YouTube page is here: Practical Taekwondo. Take a look at his videos. Share your thoughts, and I'll chime in later.
    Oh and for the record I hate the definition of the low block. But then again I see things from the CMA point of view. Most of the Forward Low blocks as I define them are usually a low guard stance or block punches to stomach.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:22am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This stuff has been around since Funakoshi, if not before. (You can see block as strike and even chamber as grab in his stuff). One problem is that in the form, it's mostly disconnected from necessary footwork. Another problem is that almost nobody practices these techniques on the bag, mitts or with a partner, making the chances that you'll chuck in in low.

I'm taller than most people, so I often use these to smack arms down before punching. And yes, sometimes I even use 'em on kicks, because there are a few kicks you can cover off without your arm exploding into a million pieces or something, as long as you actually step off line.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 5:54pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a look at most of the videos, and i think that this is a good start. More people shoud experiment with the aplication of traditional techniques. Learning to improvise your techniques to fit your specific situation is one of the most important self defence skills. More work like this may bring self defence back into Taekwondo.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 6:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chaps, the original post showed a vid that was pretty worrying to anyone clinging onto any sort of hope that KMA was going to get better when it starts to reinvent itself as RBSD/MMA whatever. The techniques where laughable in part because they ranged from mildly impractical to ridiculously impractical and included strikes to non-existent anatomical targets, and the screen shot showed the infamous low block against a low roundkick. Actually that's one of my bad habits I picked up from years of karate and Taekwondo that I haven't yet fully shaken.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickcatcher
    Chaps, the original post showed a vid that was pretty worrying to anyone clinging onto any sort of hope that KMA was going to get better when it starts to reinvent itself as RBSD/MMA whatever. The techniques where laughable in part because they ranged from mildly impractical to ridiculously impractical and included strikes to non-existent anatomical targets, and the screen shot showed the infamous low block against a low roundkick. Actually that's one of my bad habits I picked up from years of karate and Taekwondo that I haven't yet fully shaken.
    Which techniques did you find laughable? Which did you find ridiculous? How would you apply them? How would you fix what's wrong?

As far as your bad habit, what are you doing to fix them? How are you using the low block in general?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like low blocks with the body dropping, bending the knees - the hard hammer effect. And or the low/hit the shin with the forearm and reach around and hook their knee and flip 'em (if they're doing a front kick with their right and I'm blocking with my left, downward then up and around), and that's from Kyokushin, who's soke was originally from Korea, so it's all the same...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 10:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    Which techniques did you find laughable? Which did you find ridiculous? How would you apply them? How would you fix what's wrong?

As far as your bad habit, what are you doing to fix them? How are you using the low block in general?
    Pretty much everything to varying degrees, I'm sooo 1997 I still think that when something labels itself "practical" then it ought to be, generally to the average student.

I am not a fan of the low block particularly but I agree with Pat's comments where he related it to defending against a thrusting kick.... the video shows it being used against the knee of a "yobbo kick" (Ref: Yob) which is a recipe for a hurt hand, and a any rate would require quite a lot of skill in a high pressure situation IMO - that much you can find out by pressure testing. Heavy contct sparring being appropriate pressure in this case I suspect. Having said that using it to defend against roundline kicks is common in semi-contact sparring....which says a lot.

Also I thought his low block against said kick in the video was a bit over committal.

Pat, I learned a similar though more stylised application of the "low block" in Hung Gar - can't say I ever used it that way to he kneecap but I preferred a more scooping sorta low block that dragged their leg in the hope of unbalancing them - works ok in sparring against the people I was sparring with but I wouldn't count on it.

Other moves from the vids that stick in my memory are the repeated wrist lock takedowns - again very hard to pull off under pressure and rely a lot on minor details on the part of the attacker.

Mav, do you use the low block to attack the floating kidney?
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 8/13/2007 10:58pm at .

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 10:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had floating kidneys for dinner.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 11:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please post constructively, set an example to the newbs etc. Thank you.

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 11:25pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That one sentence was more constructive than anything you've ever done in this forum, with the possible exception of post 17.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast