Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stjohnwayne
    That's a good point, and thanks for the link again. I did find that Codex Wallerstein on amazon, I'd love to read that.

I"m currently looking at some mma/grappling schools around here, and if I can try out a decent one to get a good foundation in grappling, then I could probably try to pick up on what these medieval guys are laying down

DdlR- what about that dvd, though? Would you say it teaches enough about the fundamentals of wrestling/grappling that I could gain something by watching it now? Or would you say that I should build the foundation with modern stuff as far as that goes too?
    The DVD I linked to isn't available in English, but I just remembered that there's another one on the same material - http://chivalrybookshelf.com/titles/...eibringen.html . The soundtrack for this DVD has been fully translated into English.

The caveat is that I've only seen the German language version, but it's a very good introduction to grappling in general, with a heavy emphasis on the old Medieval/Renaissance German styles, filling in the gaps with some modern styles. Also has excellent production values.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 11:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    The DVD I linked to isn't available in English, but I just remembered that there's another one on the same material - http://chivalrybookshelf.com/titles/...eibringen.html . The soundtrack for this DVD has been fully translated into English.

The caveat is that I've only seen the German language version, but it's a very good introduction to grappling in general, with a heavy emphasis on the old Medieval/Renaissance German styles, filling in the gaps with some modern styles. Also has excellent production values.
    Oh then you haven't seen the one I originally linked to? http://alliancemartialarts.com/germanvideo.htm

That's Pete Kautz, I assumed they were the same videos we had been talking about. Do you know anything about the Kautz one? The one you suggest definitely looks good too though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I haven't seen Pete's DVD. He knows his stuff, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 6:19am

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    RegularJoe, your current user title is fucking stupid.
    ...What the **** is so fucking stupid about it? Was a running joke in Iraq after an IED or when we made contact to scream out "ALLAH AINT GOT **** ON ME, BITCHES!"
    ?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 7:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody have any experience in this around the Baltimore area? Or anybody with a decent grappling foundation want to learn about this from around there?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody have any experience in this around the Baltimore area? Or anybody with a decent grappling foundation want to learn about this from around there?
    You might try getting in touch with these guys:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...lStudySociety/

These fellows focus mostly on sword work, but would know who in the area might be working on the rignen/abrazare material:

http://www.mashs.org/practicelocations.shtml

There's also a fellow in that area named Dwight McLemore, but his group's website is down - either of the previous 2 groups should have contact info, though. He's worked with Pete Kautz in the past.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 4:10am

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good point, and thanks for the link again. I did find that Codex Wallerstein on amazon, I'd love to read that.

I"m currently looking at some mma/grappling schools around here, and if I can try out a decent one to get a good foundation in grappling, then I could probably try to pick up on what these medieval guys are laying down
    Any BJJ, Sambo, Judo, Wrestling, or general grappling school will do.

Most of the stuff outlined, from what I saw, are some pretty basic takedowns. The most important thing would be to just drill them into perfection.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567