Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 10:31pm

Style: WC,Boxin,Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Better TAMPA BJJ??

So I wanna take BJJ but i donno which place is better in my area.....the 2 places r

http://gracietampa.com/
    Gracie tampa

and

http://www.tampabjj.com/
    Gracie barra tampa

I was also wondering if these two places were conected in anyway because they both carry the gracies name?

and if u think one is better then the other, Why?

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One is run by Eduardo Delima who is a world class BJJ practitioner...talk to Aesopian and a couple other fellows...they train there. The other is run by one of Royce's first American BB's, Rob Kahn who also posts here.

I'd suggest visiting each school, meeting the instructors and students, and then make your decision instead of relying on posters to tell you where to go.

GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by uAq
    So I wanna take BJJ but i donno which place is better in my area.....the 2 places r

http://gracietampa.com/
    Gracie tampa

and

http://www.tampabjj.com/
    Gracie barra tampa

I was also wondering if these two places were conected in anyway because they both carry the gracies name?

and if u think one is better then the other, Why?

Just from checking out the websites I found the following information. The Gracie Tampa location is a Royce Gracie affiliate school. From the information, the instructor(Rob Kahn) is a black belt under Royce Gracie. The Gracie Barra Tampa school is a Gracie Barra affiliate and the instructor(Eduardo de Lima) is a black belt under Carlos Gracie, Jr.

A bit of history, Royce Gracie is Helio Gracie's son and Carlos Gracie, Jr. is Carlos Gracie Sr.'s son. Carlos Gracie Sr. being the eldest brother and Helio being the youngest. Royce and Carlos are cousins.

Also, based on the information on each individual websites the Gracie Barra school instructor has serveral Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu championships under his belt where as the Royce Gracie black belt at the other location has just competed in MMA. This may show in how they train their students.

Your best bet will be to just go to both schools and try them out. The Barra school has a coupon for a free class, call the other school for details. If there are no contracts then try both schools out for a month if you can and go to all the classes you can to get an idea of which place you like more and if your goals match up to what you are being taught. Report back on your experiences and share them with bullshido. You may help someone else who is in the same position as yourself.
    Last edited by datdamnmachine; 7/02/2006 11:05pm at .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Grande
    One is run by Eduardo Delima who is a world class BJJ practitioner...talk to Aesopian and a couple other fellows...they train there. The other is run by one of Royce's first American BB's, Rob Kahn who also posts here.

I'd suggest visiting each school, meeting the instructors and students, and then make your decision instead of relying on posters to tell you where to go.

GG
    You got to him before I could Gringo, good snipe!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gracie Barra Tampa and Gracie Tampa aren't affiliated. Barra is under Carlos Gracie Jr. and the other is under Royce Gracie.

Speaking for Gracie Barra Tampa, Eduardo is a great teacher, the quality of instruction is excellent and the vibe is very friendly and welcoming. It's pretty funny to me that someone with his experience and qualifications ended up teaching here and not out where the BJJ scene is bigger, like California. He's the real deal, straight out of Rio.

I know guys who train at Gracie Tampa and love it. Rob is a cool guy and he just won a MMA fight with some slick BJJ. His team has been doing really well too.

I don't think you can go wrong at either. The quality of both schools are without question. You're welcome to try a free class at both and see which one suits you better.

We're lucky to have BJJ taking off in our area. I think some more good BJJ guys might be coming into the area soon.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 5/04/2007 11:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanx 4 the helpful info..........i kno that the gracies BJJ is $100 a month but how much is the Barra Bjj? if u dont kno its cool......i'm goin to call anyways

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:21pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's currently $90 per month for unlimited classes, or like $60 for two per week, but don't quote me on that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    iight cool...i'm leanin towards the barra gracie place in st pete

but one more question....lloll i weight like 120 if i train will there be a weight class 4 me to fight in?

becuz i used to wrestle and i used to always have to wrestle and upper weight class and ****...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:26pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $90 is damn good for unlimited. I pay $85 for 3 days a week. Damn!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2006 11:33pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll probably be hard pressed to find others your size, but GranoblasticMan from these forums trains with me at the Clearwater school and he's about that size. Though I'm not quite that light, I do fine at 150 lbs. so I wouldn't worry about size too much.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast