Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 11:21pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions about FMA/Kali/Eskrima

I didn't know if I could be a stupid noob here, but here goes nothing...

From what I understand Kali is the Krabi Krabong of Eskrima...?

Kali came before Eskrima and was the combat version?

What all does FMA entail? At my gym I sneak in on the FMA guys every once in a while and see some serious Dog Brother style beatings. All they wear is shinguards, mouthgards, and a cup. I've only seen them use the rattan sticks, but I thought FMA used other weapons (like knives) also. Let it be said, I've only seen them a few times...and it looks so goddamn cool.

I got an axe to grind

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: thai.kali.no-gi.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The basic idea is that Kali, Escrima and Arnis are all just names for the same family of arts.

Escrima, Kali, Arnis... all of them are combat arts.

You have people like Tuhon Leo Gaje who say "Kali is the pure mother style"...
    you have others who say "Escrima is the original name.. Inosanto made up the name
    "kali"...it's an American invention".

The stick fights you see can mostly be converted into blade techniques.
    Most of what I show my guys (since they are newbs) is blade stuff.. because many of
    them work doors and are worried about defending against the knife attack.

FMA used sticks, staffs, spears, bolos, parangs, knives, ropes, yo-yo's, thrown weapons...
    all sorts of things.

Ultimately FMAs are about being able to (ideally) use ANYTHING as a weapon.

Which school do you train at Pasley? I'd love to come out to Memphis one weekend
    and meet the FMA guys there... Always good to be on friendly terms with the neighbors.
    let's talk about why fat-fu shall we?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 11:13am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crack Taoist
    The basic idea is that Kali, Escrima and Arnis are all just names for the same family of arts.

Escrima, Kali, Arnis... all of them are combat arts.

You have people like Tuhon Leo Gaje who say "Kali is the pure mother style"...
    you have others who say "Escrima is the original name.. Inosanto made up the name

The stick fights you see can mostly be converted into blade techniques.
    Most of what I show my guys (since they are newbs) is blade stuff.. because many of
    them work doors and are worried about defending against the knife attack.

FMA used sticks, staffs, spears, bolos, parangs, knives, ropes, yo-yo's, thrown weapons...
    all sorts of things.

Ultimately FMAs are about being able to (ideally) use ANYTHING as a weapon.

Which school do you train at Pasley? I'd love to come out to Memphis one weekend
    and meet the FMA guys there... Always good to be on friendly terms with the neighbors.
    I train at Memphis Judo and Jiu jitsu. I actually only take Muay Thai right now, but after watching the FMA class I'm starting to get interested.

From what I saw last time it looked like they were training knife techniques with a rattan stick. (i.e pinning someone to the floor and thrusting the stick at the person) I can't say that particular class looked like any Kali I've seen before (no colliding of sticks) but they were still using sticks, not plastic knives.

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 7:21am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree about the names. It also helps to differentiate who is teaching, like Presas guys tend to say Arnis, Inosanto and Gaje use Kali, etc. But it is all fairly similar. That doesn't mean that they are the same, they are just differently focused. There are a few other "styles" in FMA like panantukan (dirty boxing), dumog (wrestling), etc. but for the most part you're going to see a bit of that stuff covered in your stick/blade work.

As for the gear, some places will use lameco sticks (padded dowels) with goggles or goggles and headgear. Others will DBMA it out and go with fencing masks and rattan. Level of contact depends on the place and the group's wishes.

Good luck to you, man. FMA are a lot of fun and I hope you have a good time!

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 3:28pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a hot debate regarding the words used to describe FMA. Escrima and Arnis are both derivatives of Spanish terms, and the term Kali does not seem to have been used widely until recently and more commonly in the U.S. than the Philippines. Kali is generally regarded as older-style close range swordfighting, but even this is not universally accepted.

Most FMA systems stem from older war arts of the Philippines. As such, they placed primary emphasis on weapons fighting. Sword, stick, spear, knives, and many more weapons can be found in many FMA systems. Sticks are probably the most common training weapon, and may be treated as impact weapons or may be seen as training instruments that represent swords. There is a also diverse set of empty-hand systems within the FMA, with a common emphasis on various forms of boxing, but may include kickfighting and some grappling as well.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what Ryno said.

Rene Latosa has even gone so far now to just call his FMA "Latosa Weapons System". No spanish or 'Pino except his name.

sticks are used world wide because steal blades chip and are costly to maintain, but wood is abundant. It is simply a practical way to do it. But FMA sticks are known for certain characteristics as well as all of what ryno allready mentioned.

The Islands are a cultural refuge and have roots is all the MA from the all the continents and cultures of the world. It is a vast knowledge base of more then just the 12 pairs we think of today. Islamics, Europeans, Chinese, Japanses, and even USMC have influenced FMA, but then also some styles resulted form a few brothers clubing eachother with sticks down by the river. So it is always going to require so many names and spellings.

but I spell Escrima with a c....:qleapfrog

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 10:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The name varies from school to school, Kali is said to be the name of the original martial art that all other FMA styles come from, but there is no real way to be shure. We focus on all kinds of things used as weapons, stick, knives, and many other things as said by the other posters here.

I train under the Sina Tirisia Wali School, which is a fusion of many other schools like Doce Pares, Pekiti-Tirsia, etc... I currently hold a Brown belt, I teach Kali to about 5 people and I'm having my black belt exam in november.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 4:07pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crack Taoist
    Not according to the father of Modern Arnis, Remey Amador Presas. Kali is the original name, derived from Kalis. Kali was changed to other names because of the Spaniards, who did not like the natives practicing Kali. Hence, names such as Arnis, Escrima and Sinawali and the use of sticks in the practice. Arnis, more or less, became the pure stick art.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 4:11pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PasleyPMT
    I train at Memphis Judo and Jiu jitsu. I actually only take Muay Thai right now, but after watching the FMA class I'm starting to get interested.

From what I saw last time it looked like they were training knife techniques with a rattan stick. (i.e pinning someone to the floor and thrusting the stick at the person) I can't say that particular class looked like any Kali I've seen before (no colliding of sticks) but they were still using sticks, not plastic knives.
    When we practice our Filipino Martial Arts, we use sticks, knives and empty hand. Kali/Arnis/Escrima are all stand alone arts that include all ranges. It is a misconception that they are just stick arts.

The Philippines actually has a rather large array of martial arts. And also some very interesting approaches that you do not see in very many arts. One, two and three beat defenses, etc. Low kicks. Hubud Lubud. A bunch of cool stuff.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 10:33am

Style: Boxing, Greco, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi

Does Pekiti Tirsia Kali usually include full contact empty hand sparring? I am bit skeptical of open hand strikes, is this something common to all FMA´s?

There´s a (too) long explanation here: http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/openHan...&file=openHand

which, to put it nicely, seems a bit odd. Anyone care to comment?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast