Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:33am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    My club has broken every Smakstick brand stick we have ever tried, usually in the first session. (Think we're at about 7 broken right now.) Make sure not to hit too hard with smaksticks. We've had much better luck with homemade versions with a decent rattan core.

And to chime in with Red Elvis, by all means practice some throws and takedowns which definitely should come into play from the clinch. If you've already got mats, then by all means use them.

If you want to save some space for tires, just hang a few ropes from the ceiling with clips on the end. String up the tires when they're needed, and just take them down and pull the ropes out of the way when they aren't.
    Hrm. I've broken every brand of stick BUT smak-stik and lameco. Usually the ones that i've broken the quickest have been the actionflex ones and the cheap little ones like they used on Human Weapon(those have a rattan core). Of course, the whole point of me having the smak stiks one is so that when we're going light for targeting that I can do it without having to throw on a bunch of gear or get my hand jacked up.

I got an axe to grind

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: thai.kali.no-gi.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude.. I buy that many flavors of sticks I may have to charge these guys out the
    yinyang LOL.

Or just make them buy all their own gear.

With respect to the tire dummies.. the plans I have for the stacked tires on stands can
    be made with rollers.. so those can be moved into and out of position. I will
    probably hang up those double-tire rigs too as Ryno suggested. Maybe
    coat them with polyurethane so they don't get road soot on the gear...

That will be nice.. I never really had a practice space with a ceiling I could suspend
    major stuff from.

With respect to the sticks thing... my background is all just rattan and we have
    the cheapo padded ones

for the "first month if they are squeamish". I've let the newbs use rattan and I use
    this on them for some largo sparring..

I guess I need to think about something between the karatedepot style foam
    and the rattan...

I will post a pic of the space.. I'm still bursting into evil villain laughs from time
    to time thinking about it...
    let's talk about why fat-fu shall we?

I got an axe to grind

Posted On:
    8/15/2007 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: thai.kali.no-gi.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some pics of the space. Very rough... but with some hard work I think it will be
    a very cool area to train...

let's talk about why fat-fu shall we?

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/22/2007 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On Man, you remind me of my own first store front!

focus mitts and a solid heavy canvas hanging bag, make everyone buy some good gloves. Bag work empty hand and with stick saves money compaired to sticks wearing out.

big thick staves for hitting on to develope power, they last longer. Cut staves down into sticks, they end up much thicker. Thats we have to do in EBMAS or we just shatter those 1 inch sticks.

some kind of lockers or even just selves or cubbys to let people leave a few things. Sometimes people are willing to share gear and just leave it at the gym.

Mirrors break. But some kind of short shelf or decorations along the base to subconciously remind people of the edge. I have seen walls mirrors get shattered. even a stripe of painted trim will help.

I have run a store front operation in the past, PM me if you have any questions.

o ya, review your gym here at dojoreviews and link it to your username.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2007 9:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    crack taoist ..... fan the madman???
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12