Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 1:05pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ichthus Martial Arts

I arrived at Ichthus Martial Arts, interested to finally go watch a class. (I had wanted to check out a class forever, and finally had the time to) When I got there I was greeted by their sensei who is not only a talented practioner, and a great teacher, but a nice and humble guy. I met some of the other students. (the classes are small groups, only 4 other people was there, which is great, for extra attention)

I gotta tell ya, there conditioning is fantastic. They mix conditioning and technique training, then closer to the end, they do technique training, followed by randori. Sensei told me this, which is so true.

"If we get beat by fighters who are more technical or better then ok that's fine, we'll get better. But if we get beat by fighters who are better conditioned then us, well there's no excuse for that"

Their Jiu Jitsu is very interesting. They just call it Freestyle Jiu Jitsu, but it comes from the eclectic style of Kyuryukan Jiu-Jitsu which is a mix of Japanese Jujitsu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and Kickboxing. From the class I watched, I saw how well rounded the style is. They are a JJ school that focus on takedowns/throws, but still have great ground grappling.

I didn't get to see their Muay Thai, cause that is on mondays, and I specifically came on thursday to see their JJ. But if their Muay Thai is as good as their Jiu Jitsu, then there should be no problem.

They also help the students that want to compete in combat sports. They train for Jiu Jitsu comps, Submission Wrestling, Muay Thai, and MMA.

But what I like the best is that Ichthus is a no bs, tested group of martial artists and fighters who know how to handle themselves, and can help you too.

Also their monthly tuition is amazingly cheap. Not $150, not $100, not even $50. It's $20 a month. You can't beat that.

I look forward to training with them soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also would like to add that they do both Gi and No Gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 7:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out the MT. Not traditional Thai, but it's excellent. Lots of circuit training. Speed bag (for punches), heavy bag (for kicks/knees/shin conditioning), crazy bag (for punches/elbows) thai pads (for kicks/footwork), 2 stations of jump rope, an ab roller, then showing/talking about technique.

It was demanding, but excellent.

poser

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 10:00am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aliveness... do they do hard sparring regularly? Is sparring required for belt graduation and such?

Instructor-Student ratio... is detailed one-on-one training common?

Striking Instruction... are there Ichthus fighters in professional competitions? Are they successfull? Could your guys take on high-level professional kickboxers and hold their own?

Grappling... same as above. Could your black belts tap, say, GJJ black belts?

If no, then your school does not get a 10.

Sounds like a great school though, the review was concise and objective. Where is it located?

edit: you also failed to mention the strong religious influence.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 12:36pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We also believe that in our world today, there is a real need for self-defense. Due to the sin of the human race, the peace that was the nature of Godís creation was perverted, and as a result our society is in decay, with people committing violent acts against each other. Many people live in fear of their fellow man, and there is a true need in our communities to learn how to protect ourselves. Many people turn to secular martial arts to help them extinguish their fear. What these secular martial arts fail to teach people is the only way to protect their lives in an eternal sense, which comes through the acceptance of Jesus Christ as their Personal Savior.
    :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum :biblethum

WTF???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, sparring every session. BJJ/Judo type randori, striking sparring (similar to muay thai). and mma sparring. In JJ class, its JJ randori, in MT class, its MT sparring, and on saturday's they train for different comps like BJJ, Judo, Sub Grappling, and MMA. I've heard they also have been in Muay Thai smokers.

It's located in Romeoville, Il.

Strong religious influence? No.

He doesnt preach during class. All we do, is pray before and at the end of class.

Yes, sparring is a requirement for advancing in rank.

Most people we have in a class at one time is 8-10 people.

I'm pretty new to the school, but from what I've seen is that their MT is more suited for MMA, and in MMA competition that the striking would do just fine. In full on MT, maybe not.

Could our black belts tap GJJ black belts? Idk, its up to the students. Do they have the skill to tap a GJJ black belt? I would say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Aliveness... do they do hard sparring regularly? Is sparring required for belt graduation and such?

Instructor-Student ratio... is detailed one-on-one training common?

Striking Instruction... are there Ichthus fighters in professional competitions? Are they successfull? Could your guys take on high-level professional kickboxers and hold their own?

Grappling... same as above. Could your black belts tap, say, GJJ black belts?

If no, then your school does not get a 10.

Sounds like a great school though, the review was concise and objective. Where is it located?

edit: you also failed to mention the strong religious influence.

poser

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 11:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most martial arts and martial artists have no religious influence whatsoever, so praying before and after class is a big deal to some people.

i still think that unless you're training under militech or rutten or kano someone like that then you're probably not gonna get mostly 10s for your school.

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 9:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am the instructor at Ichthus MA

I appreciate the high ratings from k-fighter. I am not going to say I know everything. In my opinion if anyone rates their instruction in grappling or striking a 10 then they are sadly mistaken No one person knows everything and someone will always know something you don't. At Ichthus we stick to the basics. don't get fancy with anything. I am a christian and it is a very big part of my life. We do pray at the beginning and end of each training session. I don't force anyone to do this. if Praying is a big deal then you don't have to come to the classes. We are a ministry of a New Testament Church and that influence will show through.
    Can we tap out Gracie BB's I don't know. But I do know that I have a guy who has been training 5 months and tapped out a BJJ Purple Belt in competition.
    No we do not currently have any fighters in pro competition. The school is barely a year and a half old.
    How many schools have a majority of students who can hold their own against a pro kickboxer. I dare say not many. Yes we are more of a grappling school but we do know how to strike.
    I am not trying to offend anyone here. but I just wanted to state my opinion of our school.

Psalm 144:1

poser

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fitrboi
    I appreciate the high ratings from k-fighter. I am not going to say I know everything. In my opinion if anyone rates their instruction in grappling or striking a 10 then they are sadly mistaken No one person knows everything and someone will always know something you don't. At Ichthus we stick to the basics. don't get fancy with anything. I am a christian and it is a very big part of my life. We do pray at the beginning and end of each training session. I don't force anyone to do this. if Praying is a big deal then you don't have to come to the classes. We are a ministry of a New Testament Church and that influence will show through.
    Can we tap out Gracie BB's I don't know. But I do know that I have a guy who has been training 5 months and tapped out a BJJ Purple Belt in competition.
    No we do not currently have any fighters in pro competition. The school is barely a year and a half old.
    How many schools have a majority of students who can hold their own against a pro kickboxer. I dare say not many. Yes we are more of a grappling school but we do know how to strike.
    I am not trying to offend anyone here. but I just wanted to state my opinion of our school.

Psalm 144:1
    I liked these ratings better.

Nobody is offended by your religion (as far as I can tell) but it's just surprising to some people to see religion and MA mixed.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fitrboi, thanks for your comments. I wish you and your school nothing but success.

KFighter, your rankings are dramatically out of line with the rating guidlines found here.

Specifically, for both Striking instruction and Grappling instruction, a score of 10 indicates "Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructors".

The instructor is not recognizable as an "A-level competitor" nor does anything found on the website or his own comments seem to indicate such. In fact, as their competition record seems limited to "local/regional competition" a score higher than 6-7 appears to be unwarranted.

It is unclear from my initial review of the website if these were grappling, or MMA competitions. If they were strictly grappling and the school has no competition record in striking events, then the guidelines seem to suggest a score of 5 for that category.
    Last edited by sdave; 9/08/2007 12:08pm at . Reason: No response from OP. Will remove scores when OP revises his.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.