Sponsored Links Spacer Image

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 2:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK stupid question time:

a few years ago, one of the guys in the place I trained at the time, stated he had practiced in something he called:
    "youba""yuba""uba" "yooba"(phonetically: yoo-buh)
    which he stated was a form of savate that had evolved from savate fighters matching up with muay thai fighters in different competition. As was explained to me by him, this involved use of more lower strikes and closer quarter fighting as, again he explained, the savatours were getting it handed to them by the Thai fighters. He stated, once the Thai fighters got inside of the longer kicks and strikes, they were close to weaponless.

He would have been training in this in the late 1960s-early/mid 1970s.

I had never and still never heard anything about this "yuba" and was wondering if anyone knew anything of this form of savate or, perhaps, is this BS.

I only recall his instructors name was Jacques (big surprise...although it could have be Renee, Michelle, Jean or some other androgynous name) and he studied in California.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 3:05pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never heard, but Iīll ask around. AFAIK elbows, knees and wrestling stuff were taken out of BF curriculum in mid 70īs. But there can be some branches who develop that way.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 3:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Rubberduck. He didn't strike me as the type to be full of BS as he was pretty quiet and understaded about it and he really did move well. When I met him we was in his early-mid 50s and slightly overweight, but was very fleet of foot, limber and nimble, which led me to believe he had at least trained in *something* at *sometime*

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 3:19pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    OK stupid question time:

a few years ago, one of the guys in the place I trained at the time, stated he had practiced in something he called:
    "youba""yuba""uba" "yooba".

Was this guy's name 'Flintstone' by any chance?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/18/2007 3:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    Was this guy's name 'Flintstone' by any chance?
    No....Rubble actually. He did have a training partner by the name "Flintberg", I think....I'm not sure exactly as the little green guy floating around his head kept calling him different names that were similar.
    Funny you should ask.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 1:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aadvarks, could he have meant Yuba city? French are usually more flowery with their names, like Defense dans la rue, la lutte savate (yeah, found that one too. Seems like mix of pancrase and savate from what I understand).

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 11:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    Aadvarks, could he have meant Yuba city? French are usually more flowery with their names, like Defense dans la rue, la lutte savate (yeah, found that one too. Seems like mix of pancrase and savate from what I understand).
    while i don't know the spelling, I am pretty darn sure he stated it was call phonetically "yoo-buh" and was not in refernce to where he lived.

Is there a French gramatical law which gives one letter the quality of another?

Example: "J" in Spanish = "H"

which could make it "jouba"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, canīt find anything. Could be their own mix, or could rare old school savate place. There are few places still that teach "t3h r341 s4v4t3" not our pussified Boxe Francaise. (Or should it be now called Boxe Freedom? I know low blow, sorry.)

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 2:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduck
    Sorry, canīt find anything. Could be their own mix, or could rare old school savate place. There are few places still that teach "t3h r341 s4v4t3" not our pussified Boxe Francaise. (Or should it be now called Boxe Freedom? I know low blow, sorry.)
    Not a problem, thank you much for your effort.
    From the way he described, he was learning with a few other people from an individual, as opposed to a traditional school...so who knows.

Thank you again.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567