Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 6:20pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PoiDog, I've watched all the Dog Brothers clips online, and I've never really seen much use of the thrust. I've been meaning to buy a bunch of DB training DVD's, any one in particular that covers the thrust?

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 6:25pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, now that I think about it, there are two different ways to crosskick. One is to swing your leg up, like you're sweeping leaves or snow up off the ground with your foot. The other is to lift the knee up first, then fire the foot straight forward. Kinda like how the snap kick comes straight up off the ground, where a teep or stomp kick raises the knee first, then goes straight out.

I'll have to look at WC again and see how they do it. I remember Taijutsu used the kick both ways. Coming straight up was more of a long range kick meant to damage the knee, where lifting it and stomping out was more used up close at an angle to turn or bend the knee and get a knockdown.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 6:28pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best episode so far. No mystical ridiculous techniques, all ring worth stuff. And good fight at the end even if the champ was a bit dissapointing.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 7:21pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    I think the series has been going steadily uphill. Yeah, the "nose to the brain" bit made me laugh out loud (and get a wierd look from my GF) but the fight was better than the MT or Karate ones. I'm looking forward to judo.
    Although from that kick it did seem unlikely, am I to understand that it is impossible to press the tissue of the nose into the brain with a normal kick? I've heard people remark about it over the years, and didn't really know what to believe.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    PoiDog, I've watched all the Dog Brothers clips online, and I've never really seen much use of the thrust. I've been meaning to buy a bunch of DB training DVD's, any one in particular that covers the thrust?
    The best DVD for thrusts would be tape 4 from the original series "Real Contact Stick Fighting 4 - Blocks, Punyos, Thrusts". While thrusts haven't been covered extensively in the newer DVD's, the thrust is still trained in DBMA. Done mostly behind the close from crashing roof block, the thrust is a pretty heinous strike, when done properly with good bodyweight driven power behind it. Thrusts from beyond corto range are a little trickier, but several DB's are competent with it, most notably those who have a solid Pekiti Tirsia background. I don't have a strong PT background, but my original FMA instructor was very fond of thrusts and I've used them fairly well, IMO.

It's covered in RCSF #4, but the straight thrust (a la fencing) is typically eschewed in favor of the curving thrust, especially the rising curving thrust. I'm am a big believer as Dogzilla "stabbed" me with that one a few times, and each time hurt...a LOT.

Aloha, Poi :viking:
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Although from that kick it did seem unlikely, am I to understand that it is impossible to press the tissue of the nose into the brain with a normal kick? I've heard people remark about it over the years, and didn't really know what to believe.
    Yes, it is impossible. To see why, read this.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 8:45pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoiDog
    Yes, it is impossible. To see why, read this.
    Twould make a good mythbusters episode.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    Best episode so far. No mystical ridiculous techniques, all ring worth stuff. And good fight at the end even if the champ was a bit dissapointing.
    I agree. This had less bs than any of the other episodes and zero larping mystical bullshit. I will even go as far to say that this was the most realistic fight so far. The thai fighter was totally sand bagging Jason, the escrimador was sand bagging as well with no strikes to the head and the karate fight was a joke. Tying was bullshit though and you could see it in the frogs face. He wasn't happy.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 10:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome episode, I love this show. I wish they would show the whole match in it's entirety instead of cutting it to pieces, sometimes it's hard to see what's really going on.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 10:10pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep missing the show so I punish myself by playing their lame video game.
    Last edited by Steve; 8/11/2007 10:12pm at .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast