Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 11:14am

Style: CLF, Capoeira, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Human Weapon - Savate episode

Any thoughts on last nights episode of human weapon?

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 11:46am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the cops style, at least for self defense. I have a feeling everything he did had been tested. As tough as muay thai? No, but it looked like you wouldn't wreck yourself doing it for a long time.

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 11:47am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked it except for the whole thing about how the one kick could drive your nosebone into your brain. I went off watching this at my Kung Fu bud's house. I was shocked that the producers and that NFL idiot were so stupid that the comment made it into the show.

The whole bit about Bruce Lee loving their cross kick and making it his own was wrong, too. That kick is in WC. My Kung Fu bud who does 8 step Praying Mantis said he's seen it in every CMA style. Hell, I learned it in Taijutsu and TKD. Later, when they showed a simultaneous slap down parry with a counter jab, my JKD heart got all warm and fuzzy, though.

The training had hard sparring in it, and there was actually a real fight at the end, even if the black champ was holding back. It looked harder than the Muay Thai ep.

France 1, Thailand 0.

I read an article years ago that La Canne was basically Fencing with a stick, and that it had a thrust-based structure? Now everytime I see it on TV they're jumping around doing spinning slashes. I've talked to some La Canne people on here and they say it's not thrust-based.

I had great success using my old Fencing thrusts against FMA back in TKD when everybody was learning FMA for the first time. FMA has a straight thrust I swear they never use, and a beautiful curving thrust meant to go around blocks and cause a horrible gouging wound, but I think they have a big weakness when it comes to long range thrusts. If they can get past that, they'll own you with slashes and buttstrikes, though.
    Last edited by bad credit; 8/11/2007 1:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 12:18pm

Style: Krav Maga (4), BJJ white

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It made savate look kind of lame. A former world champion "tying" a guy who had been training for a week? Stupid.

I did like the sweep and the cross kick-stomp.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 12:29pm

Style: Depraved Indifference

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appeared to be the French answer to Mui Thai, I'm sure that the top practitioners can deliver a nice ass kicking. I wasn't super impressed, although it is meant to be practiced in boots which are definitely a force multiplyer. I didn't see the "challenge" match, but I'de likely be unimpressed.

What do you mean Jean Claude isn't th3 d3adly...?

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 1:54pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, old school Savate was really crazy, the new stuff has been compared to TKD if used for kickboxing by other members of this board.

JCVD isn't French. He's Belgian or something. So, he's half frog, half sauerkraut. He also never did Savate. He did krotty.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 2:03pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the series has been going steadily uphill. Yeah, the "nose to the brain" bit made me laugh out loud (and get a wierd look from my GF) but the fight was better than the MT or Karate ones. I'm looking forward to judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 2:33pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, actually being familiar with Savate, the show was better than average. I still have qualms about the Fat Footballer who compares EVERY (yes in every episode) martial art he tries to football. Did they put him on to be the "lovable goof"?

And as someone said earlier, him tying with the 2002 world champ was rediculous! My mom (who is French and an avid supporter of me practicing Savate) was blown away that her people (having the "history" they do with being called wimps) would allow a "typical meathead" American to tie with a champ.

The segment at the docks of Marseille was correct. The Parisian cop's approach was accurate. The La Canne demonstration was what opened my eyes, though. I suppose using the "La Canne" techniques with Savate is to Krabi Krabong and Muay Thai.

All in all, the show is great (would be better with just Jason)

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    I liked it except for the whole thing about how the one kick could drive your nosebone into your brain. I went off watching this at my Kung Fu bud's house. I was shocked that the producers and that NFL idiot were so stupid that the comment made it into the show.
    Yeah, that part made my stomach drop. I was watching the show with my ex-gf and the moment they made the statement, she started laughing because she knew I was about to start ranting. I did not disappoint.

The whole bit about Bruce Lee loving their cross kick and making it his own was wrong, too. That kick is in WC. My Kung Fu bud who does 8 step Praying Mantis said he's seen it in every CMA style. Hell, I learned it in Taijutsu and TKD...
    IIRC, in "The Tao of JKD", Bruce Lee does credit Savate with the incorporation for the chasse. I know WC/WT/VT has a similar kick, but it seemed more a stop kick than an actual thrust kick.

I had great success using my old Fencing thrusts against FMA back in TKD when everybody was learning FMA for the first time. FMA has a straight thrust I swear they never use, and a beautiful curving thrust meant to go around blocks and cause a horrible gouging wound, but I think they have a big weakness when it comes to long range thrusts. If they can get past that, they'll own you with slashes and buttstrikes, though.
    Some FMA still use the thrust to great effect. *ahem* ...dog brothers... *cough-cough*

Aloha, Poi :viking:
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 6:06pm

Style: CLF, Capoeira, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that the match was executed poorly too. I did appreciate the historical context.

One thing that I noticed was that when they sparring at the police academy Jason kept taking his sparring partner down and then would proceed to mount him. I would've loved to have seen some indication that they French special police deal with ground fighting on some level.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast