Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 3:10am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Al Bundy on Gracie BJJ, UFC, and more...

http://videos.proelite.com/46768
    He is a brown belt (!) and has some interesting thoughts on the state of MMA.... many will disagree with him, I think he has some good points though.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 3:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the find :)
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 3:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he's actually pretty right on most counts.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 3:54am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he chats ****

Big padded gloves - so nobdy breaks their hands with those things on?

Nobody hits like a pro -Even though their are ex pro boxers within the ranks? Obviously doesn't understand that you can't just 'box' in an MMA fight.

Hughes beat Gracie with BJJ but 'didn't hit him'... Funny, i remember Hughes' positional domination but i'm sure the fight finished via GnP, which i think may involve a little bit of hitting

No undefeated fighters - it's not boxing, a great boxing defence is not gonna save your ass

Liddell's punching - he doesn't punch like a boxer, he trains that Kempo business

And it's not 'teh s7r33t'

I just think he doesn't know as much as he likes to think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 4:01am

Style: TKD, Boxing & SW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he is wrong about the serra punch. short armed people can hit hard as hell. rocky marciano had the shortest reach of any heavyweight (or cruiserweight for that matter) champion, yet he has the highest knockout percentage.
    the man is the epitome of an ass face, in that he spews **** from the hole in his face.
    Last edited by couch13; 8/11/2007 4:05am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 5:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I think Ed is kinda missing the point with UFC. Its a sport, plain and simple. And those "Big padded gloves" are really only 4 ounces. And they hurt, a lot. He should try getting smashed in his face with one and then he can shut up. And what is he talking about with "revolving champions"? Matt Hughes only had one defeat from UFC 34-63, and Tito Ortiz had 5 title defenses before his loss to Randy Couture. I think Ed doesn't like that its become a sport and not style vs. style match up like it was. Those guys that fought in the first UFC's wouldn't stand a chance against todays fighters UNLESS they cross trained like they do today. Ed, stick to tv, please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 7:41am

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's right about a lot of things, but the notion that there are no evolved fighters, and the notion that there are no good strikers I strongly disagree with.

The evolved fighter is not the fighter who is the best at everyhing, it's the person who's the best at one thing, and is able to force the fight into that realm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 9:14am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Nobody hits like a pro -Even though their are ex pro boxers within the ranks? Obviously doesn't understand that you can't just 'box' in an MMA fight.

Hughes beat Gracie with BJJ but 'didn't hit him'... Funny, i remember Hughes' positional domination but i'm sure the fight finished via GnP, which i think may involve a little bit of hitting
    I just think he doesn't know as much as he likes to think.
    Ed O'neill is a GJJ guy, not a boxer. His opinion about striking in MMA is pretty much the same as a lot of people who watch boxing and mma but don't understand how the former can and can't be applied to the latter.

He was spot on about Hughes. Striking had nothing to do with Hughes winning, the only thing strong about his GnP is that he can put you in a position where you can't defend yourself. At that point, the referee has no choice but to stop the match. All those strikes that he threw at Penn's face the second time they fought? None of that looked damaging in the least. Striking for Hughes is a formality necessary to get the referee to end the fight.

Lastly, Ed O'Neill prefaced the interview by saying he has opinions, like any guy. The interviewer wanted to hear his opinions. This whole thing wasn't about what Ed knew (technically speaking) but what he thought about everything. Right or wrong, the guy's enthusiasm for the sport bleeds through and that was good to see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 9:29am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he criticizes mma gloves and praises boxers who have relevantly larger gloves for having superb punching ability?

he talks about no tyson like undisputed champion in the UFC, has he ever heard of fedor?

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 9:31am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    Big padded gloves - so nobdy breaks their hands with those things on?
    He's bang on about the gloves.

Wraps and Gloves protect your hands, they allow you to throw punches a lot harder then if you were not wearing them. Yes, your hand can still occasionally break with gloves on, but it is far less likely then without.

Adding Wraps and Gloves has greatly increased the number of punches that are thrown in MMA.

This has made the sport more exciting to the fan that wants to see the strikers, but it has lowered the realism of the sport.

Doesnt make me dislike the sport, and I wear wraps and bag gloves to work the bag, I like my hands the way they are.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast