226136 Bullies, 3874 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 3:05pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Goji Berry

Ok folks, I'm a bit of a smoothie whore at the moment, mainly because I'm trying to burn fat (400 cal post-workout smoothies with a whopping 90g of protein instead of lunch). I've been adding acai and mangosteen to them, but I've recently read that mangosteen isn't all it's cracked up to be.

So I switched up to try goji. A quick search turns up a bunch of hype (as always), but what I'm most interested in is the claim that it stimulates HGH production.

Anyone familiar with this?

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 3:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff, pricy though. Too much will give you the runs. Which may help with weight loss, but don't go doing a Tim Sylvia on us...
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 7:09pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    but what I'm most interested in is the claim that it stimulates HGH production.

Anyone familiar with this?
    I'm familiar enough with endocrinology to know that's probably a pantload.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 1:58am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gou Qi Zi is berry that is packed with nutrients, but it is unlikely that it boosts GH. If you have research to support that claim, please post it. I could be wrong, but it sounds like another Dong Chong Xia Cao [cordyceps] - herb that can mildly boost endurance but was claimed to be the reason why the 1998 Chinese olympic teams did so well...in order to hide the HGH use.

Traditionally it is great for the eyes.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 6:43pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone tried to sell some expensive "Tibetan Goji Juice" to a friend of mine, who happens to be Chinese. The vendor ended up getting angry when my friend explained that it is just an ordinary inexpensive fruit that is added to all sorts of Chinese fruit. I did a little research and discovered that they don't even grow in Tibet (too high), although the do grow in Xinjiang which is also in Western China.

There may be some health benefits, but don't, don't, don't buy any expensive juice or concoction! Hopefully, there is an Asian grocer near you where you can pick some up for a couple of bucks. They really are one of the cheapest "medicinal herbs".

I knew someone in the "deluxe health juice" business. He was a first-class asshat and that whole industry is a scam IMHO.

And mangosteen... I tried some of that stuff (from Mr. Asshat Juiceman) and it tastes pretty good, but in less than 60 seconds I was suppressing the urge to vomit. It was all I could do to make it through lunch. (Thankfully, Asshat paid.)
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 6:49pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your smoothies only have 10g of carbs in them? I'm surprised there's enough for any appreciable amount of fruit in them.

Acai is pretty cool, and tasty - I dunno why you'd really wanna go beyond that. If you're talking about health benefits from foods, sometimes those health claims from foods are found using pharmaceutical-grade extracts of foods. For instance, reservatrol (sp?) from grapes or that hoodia stuff have clinical evidence of support, but the quantity and quality used in the studies isn't presently available on the consumer market.

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the place I go, I get two choices of fruit added to my drink for free. So it doesn't hurt to add the more expensive ones (Acai, for example). I don't seriously think Goji would turn me into Mark Kerr, but I do want to get the most bang for my buck there if possible.

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    Your smoothies only have 10g of carbs in them? I'm surprised there's enough for any appreciable amount of fruit in them.

Acai is pretty cool, and tasty - I dunno why you'd really wanna go beyond that. If you're talking about health benefits from foods, sometimes those health claims from foods are found using pharmaceutical-grade extracts of foods. For instance, reservatrol (sp?) from grapes or that hoodia stuff have clinical evidence of support, but the quantity and quality used in the studies isn't presently available on the consumer market.
    http://smoothieking.com/menu_smoothies_flavors.php

It's the one called "The Gladiator".