solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    I read, but I don't remember the source so you are right, that Mas O'yama developed arthritis due to his hand conditioning program. I know this is circumstanstial evidence as best but it still dosn't invalidate the initial question, and this is to anyone who wants to answer; why do you want to do this?
    mas oyama hit the makiwara, and as far as i know did NOT practice iron palm training.

people practice iron palm because they want to be able to hit harder, especially with palm strikes. i can't provide any evidence that it works, but i have never heard of anyone developing arthritis from it.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 10:35am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have just done a quick search of the web, and WebMD and could find NO studies on iron palm training at all, from a medical point of view. I did find a lot of ads for herbal balms though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because Iron Palm is a traditional CMA technique. Why would it be on WebMD? From what my Kung Fu instructor explained, you use chinese medicine to prevent yourself from being crippled while doing this training, and you also don't **** or jerk off for years while working this technique (to keep the chi strong!). Even so, he says the only reason why he isn't crippled is that he studied internal martial arts, too, and some of his iron palm buddies who only studied external arts have an iron palm now but can not type on a keyboard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:46am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    mas oyama hit the makiwara, and as far as i know did NOT practice iron palm training.

people practice iron palm because they want to be able to hit harder, especially with palm strikes. i can't provide any evidence that it works, but i have never heard of anyone developing arthritis from it.
    I have if it is done wrong. Some people say that Mas had problems with his hands after years of training. Some say it was Arthritis., I'll find the book on his life where it was stated.

Yes, I took it with a grain of salt.

That is what I hate about MA in general I've read he did IP. Makiwara is considered a part of IP in some arts.

It's fucking ridiculous.

To bad JFS isn't here, he forged his right Hand and has X-Ray proof. ;)

Of course, no one saw this alleged proof.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:50am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorius
    That's because Iron Palm is a traditional CMA technique. Why would it be on WebMD? From what my Kung Fu instructor explained, you use chinese medicine to prevent yourself from being crippled while doing this training, and you also don't **** or jerk off for years while working this technique (to keep the chi strong!). Even so, he says the only reason why he isn't crippled is that he studied internal martial arts, too, and some of his iron palm buddies who only studied external arts have an iron palm now but can not type on a keyboard.

It's fucking ridiculous.
    Like I said it's fucking ridiculous.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 11:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which part is ridiculous? Repetitive injury to your hand can cripple you?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 12:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which part is ridiculous? Repetitive injury to your hand can cripple you?
    Read what you wrote and you tell me.

Yes repeated injury to your hands can cripple you. That applies to anything you can name from car accidents to IP.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 1:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would tell you if I could...
    1. IP is a traditional CMA technique: true
    2. Traditionally, it involves the use of chinese herbs for healing otherwise you can get crippled.
    3. My teacher said he was not allowed to have sex during the years of training in order to stay angry and aggressive.
    4. He claims his fingers weren't as crippled as most because he also was studying internal martial arts at the time.

Wow, I guess I'm writing crazy lunatic stuff right now. I don't get it, why the condescension?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    I read, but I don't remember the source so you are right, that Mas O'yama developed arthritis due to his hand conditioning program. I know this is circumstanstial evidence as best but it still dosn't invalidate the initial question, and this is to anyone who wants to answer; why do you want to do this?
    Mas Oyama's hand conditioning is not the same as most iron palm training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2007 1:29pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would tell you if I could...
    1. IP is a traditional CMA technique: true
    2. Traditionally, it involves the use of chinese herbs for healing otherwise you can get crippled.
    3. My teacher said he was not allowed to have sex during the years of training in order to stay angry and aggressive.
    4. He claims his fingers weren't as crippled as most because he also was studying internal martial arts at the time.

Wow, I guess I'm writing crazy lunatic stuff right now. I don't get it, why the condescension?
    Well, I responded the way you wrote.

That's because Iron Palm is a traditional CMA technique. Why would it be on WebMD?
    Well it isn't a technique it is a training methodology. You can train IP all day, if you don't have a technique to use, it is just like a gun with no bullets.

It isn't just in CMA. This came off as condescending added with the WebMD comment.

From what my Kung Fu instructor explained, you use chinese medicine to prevent yourself from being crippled while doing this training,
    Which is very close to Bengay and such which you can find on WebMD.

and you also don't **** or jerk off for years while working this technique (to keep the chi strong!).
    We just entered Chi land right here. See, what's funny is we hear this quite a bit but there is no proof.

Even so, he says the only reason why he isn't crippled is that he studied internal martial arts, too, and some of his iron palm buddies who only studied external arts have an iron palm now but can not type on a keyboard.
    Anecdotal stories of course promoting the internal MA. This is the type of BS that kills TMA and CMAs in general.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast