Posted On:
    8/09/2007 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung Fu Movies did they skew/hurt Kung Fu in general

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Well, as chuan pointed out, you don't do the r341 d34d1y 13337 kung fu.

I blame the movies.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 4:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuan
    I blame the movies.
    I used to but not so much anymore. I blame the end shitty movies.

The good ones actually showed a hell of a lot of training. I mean everyone wanted to be a monk but the two most famous movies have more training than fighting.

Master Killer (Gordon Liu)
    Shaolin Temple (Jet Li)

I mean if you sit down and watch, Gordon is a non fighting *****. He has to freaking spar to get out of the temple. Hell in the middle of the movie they show him sparring with other monks. It is funny how people seem to forget the years are acknowledged in the movie. They go so far as to say San Te is an exceptional case.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to but not so much anymore. I blame the end shitty movies.

The good ones actually showed a hell of a lot of training. I mean everyone wanted to be a monk but the two most famous movies have more training than fighting.

Master Killer (Gordon Liu)
    Shaolin Temple (Jet Li)

I mean if you sit down and watch, Gordon is a non fighting *****. He has to freaking spar to get out of the temple. Hell in the middle of the movie they show him sparring with other monks. It is funny how people seem to forget the years are acknowledged in the movie. They go so far as to say San Te is an exceptional case.
    THe fight scenes are a big part of the blame. I still the general CMA noob/geek still thinks they are going to end up fighting like in the movies and the so called "sifus" play along.

The old mysterious master with the secret deadly technique/style plot is also to blame.

here is what I belived happened: (cue flashback music)

When the Kung Fu boom hit mainland USA and the old HK flicks were playing in China town and on late night tv you had a bunch of guys with a couple of years of karate, tkd or whatever start imitationg the movies.

So when people start talking about Kung Fu movie they just saw there was always one joker who said he knew how to do all that stuff. He flashed off a few kicks and punchs from karate and imitated a few "kung Fu" moves from the movies to impress his friends. Of course at least one friend wanted to learn "the real Kung Fu" and starts questioning him about it so the "sifu" makes up a nice little story very similar to the kung fu movie he saw last week.

The one guy starts taking Kung fu lessons from the new "sifu" and he tells people, they tell people, so on and so on. Soon the kung fu man is a genuine "master" with a room full of students who don't know any better. "Master" makes up more stuff and keeps putting it out there and the "real Kung fu" gets passed around like a STD.

Now repeat all across the country. Sure there are authentic CMA schools out there but like real deal karate they are swallowed up by strip mall masters and kiddie classes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 5:37pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuan
    THe fight scenes are a big part of the blame. I still the general CMA noob/geek still thinks they are going to end up fighting like in the movies and the so called "sifus" play along.

The old mysterious master with the secret deadly technique/style plot is also to blame.

here is what I belived happened: (cue flashback music)

When the Kung Fu boom hit mainland USA and the old HK flicks were playing in China town and on late night tv you had a bunch of guys with a couple of years of karate, tkd or whatever start imitationg the movies.

So when people start talking about Kung Fu movie they just saw there was always one joker who said he knew how to do all that stuff. He flashed off a few kicks and punchs from karate and imitated a few "kung Fu" moves from the movies to impress his friends. Of course at least one friend wanted to learn "the real Kung Fu" and starts questioning him about it so the "sifu" makes up a nice little story very similar to the kung fu movie he saw last week.

The one guy starts taking Kung fu lessons from the new "sifu" and he tells people, they tell people, so on and so on. Soon the kung fu man is a genuine "master" with a room full of students who don't know any better. "Master" makes up more stuff and keeps putting it out there and the "real Kung fu" gets passed around like a STD.

Now repeat all across the country. Sure there are authentic CMA schools out there but like real deal karate they are swallowed up by strip mall masters and kiddie classes.
    I agree in a much smaller way. KF movies have been an easy scape goat. People tend to forget many so called Asian Masters came here on their own and inflated their rank, switched styles, and didn't finish training. Many people forget that "the Man" went to foreign countries and did the same thing when they got back. So did "Brother Man." Many of these things happened before the advent of the chop socky kung fu movies.

Just like life I agree that the movies exacerbated the already existing problem. Ask me about BK Frantzis. I have a second hand story from a top student of his at one time.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree in a much smaller way. KF movies have been an easy scape goat. People tend to forget many so called Asian Masters came here on their own and inflated their rank, switched styles, and didn't finish training.
    Asian "masters" were to blame along with everything else. But I think the movies helped them as well.

Once someone realized that Kung Fu could be a money making business then it was all over.

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 8:39pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe there are moral values in kung fu movies that are absent in american movies. Respect for elders, work hard to attain goals, ect. Without those movies most of us wouldn't be interested in martial arts anyway. Of course american movies are so predictable I prefer foreign films anyway.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 9:00pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    I believe there are moral values in kung fu movies that are absent in american movies. Respect for elders, work hard to attain goals, ect. Without those movies most of us wouldn't be interested in martial arts anyway. Of course american movies are so predictable I prefer foreign films anyway.
    Like Drunken Master. Drink more and you'll have the real kung fu!

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 9:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    I Disagree completely. American film making was full of the same values. You need to watch more total import movies not just Kung Fu. They have their shitty movies also.

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 9:46pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    name one american movie that teaches you to respect your elders (or they will place several hot teacups on you till you can't move).

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 10:06pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Parent Trap
    Ghost Dad
    Are we there yet.
    Daddy Day Care
    Dr. Do Little