Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 9:29am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question for you gym rats out there.

In your opinion. How would you work out if you wanted to gain in overal muscle stregnth and endurance yet avoid any weight gain? I know everybody has their preffered methods and I'd like to hear them. It's time to tailor a new workout and I'd some different input. The idea is to maintain my current weight or even lose a little to still have the ability to easily drop to LHW as future fights dictate. Yet I want to up my muscle endruence and overal stregnth. My current w/o routine is 100% cardio and bodweight exercise. No weights. I workout alone due to my dicked up schedule so I guess most of my weight exercises would be done on machines. I intend to maintain my current cardio routine. So heares how my schedule breaks down.
    Mondays: Cardio in the AM
    Tuesdays: Practince in the evening (4-10pm with drive)
    Wednesdays: Cardio in the AM
    Thursdays: Practice
    Friday: Cardio in the AM
    Sat-Sun: Party like a rock star and play with the kids.

Mon, Weds & Fri are open for yall to play Dr.Strengthenstien.
    Last edited by Donkey_Fizzle; 9/04/2007 9:32am at .
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 10:19am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jeez... how do you keep up the LHW weight with all that cardio?

I think the usual consensus on lifting for strength/endurance is low weight/high reps. This is beneficial for you because you won't have a lifting partner to help you with any heavy reps. I'm sure the trainers/lifters here will have a more in depth discussion for you but if I'm working on my overall strength, I vary my workouts every week between 2x15 sets for a workout to 3x10, with 30s and 60s rest between each set respectively. That way you're building the overall strength/tone of your muscles but not gaining a lot of mass.

Also, lifting more (for endurance) should help you keep the weight off easier because your body will eat up calories throughout the day to repair your muscles.

just my .02, i'm sure the lifters in here will tear my workout a new one

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To not gain weight, you simply don't eat an excess of calories. You can't put on weight without a calorie surplus of some degree, regardless of how you train.

As for how I train to gain strength and endurance, for endurance I go to my boxing gym and do what my coach tells me to do, or do 12 rounds of work and some running. For strength, I pick 3 big movements (bench, squat and deadlift, or overhead press, pull-up, good morning, or you get the idea) and train it with low reps and high sets with lots of rest. I usually alternate between two preset workouts every other day.
    Last edited by Emevas; 9/04/2007 11:03pm at .
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Low reps and heavy weight, 1-3 reps/set. This will train your CNS system to fire faster and be more efficient at lifting. Actually hell just start lifting heavy and you won't immediately gain weight. You don't lift at all right now so you will naturally stay the same weight while increasing strength.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:49am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    jeez... how do you keep up the LHW weight with all that cardio?
    his skeleton alone weighs 190

my program is 45 probe curls w/a 90 pound probe, 4 times per day

but seriously - do the one big lift and a few little lifts a day, ie bench and hammer curls one day, squats and lats one day, just deadlifts another day...lift as heavy as you can with good form, low number of reps

this sort of weight program is cool because 1) it works and 2) it leaves time for other things.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 3:45am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best advice so far is that to avoid gaining weight make sure you dont take in more calories than you expend.

In terms of strength the programmes you have been prescribed so far mainly centre around maximum strength and its development. Im assuming compete in MMA or other combat sports so that means there are other areas of strength relevant to you besides maximum strength. You will also want to develop dynamic/explosive strength. Doing dynamic workouts is particulary usefu when trying to avoid weight gains but become stronger because it produces good strength benefits without putting on much muscle. To increase expolosive strength you basically need to move a submaximal weight at maximal speed. There are two basic ways to do this, olympic lifts or the accomodated resistance approach. Accomodated resistance refers to using chains/bands so that the weight is deloaded the the bottom of the movement. This means you can move the bar at maximal speed without the associated deceleration phase. Westside Barbell is huge on doing this. You can do this to any exercise but the box squat is the most common application.

This is all good but unless you have access to alot of bands and chains it is pretty unpractical. When doing o-lifts make sure to use good form and sub maximal weights to ensure very high bar speed.

In application I find it best to work both explosive and maximal strength within the same week. This normally means one whole body max strength and one dynamic strength workout but you can also break it down into upper and lower body.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    his skeleton alone weighs 190

my program is 45 probe curls w/a 90 pound probe, 4 times per day

but seriously - do the one big lift and a few little lifts a day, ie bench and hammer curls one day, squats and lats one day, just deadlifts another day...lift as heavy as you can with good form, low number of reps

this sort of weight program is cool because 1) it works and 2) it leaves time for other things.
    Highlighted for truth.

tabwyo, be mindful of how many days/hours a week you train. You don't want to overtrain, and as pple has said, lifting while keeping an eye on your diet should keep your weight where it is or perhaps lower it - very likely it will drop as soon as you begin to lift. You won't put on weight until after a while of lifting, and only if you eat for it.

Looking at your workout/training schedule (and maybe you guys can pitch in), I'd say replace two out of the three cardio sessions you do a week with any of these options:

1. two days weight lifting, 1 cardio a week
    2. 1 cardio session every three weight lifting sessions (nothing has to fit neatly in a 7-day period). .ie. lifting monday, weds, friday, cardio next monday, lifting weds, friday, monday, cardio on weds, and so on and so on.
    3. Something like #2 but delaying the cardio session further (you can always play with those numbers.)

Most likely option 1 and 2 are your best bet. As for how I like to lift (after listening to Emevas, LI, Res et all to ditch stoopid bodybuilding crap), I like to do 3 workout sessiosn a week as follows (more or less, I change stuff, but the theme is more or less the same.)

day 1: Romanian deadlifts (2,3 x 12) for warm up, bench press (5x5 + 2 or 3 more reps trying to reach a max), full squats (3x20 + 2 or 3 more sets approaching 7 reps).

day 2: hang cleans (2,3 x 8-12), bench press (15,12,10,8 + 1x12 with a wide grip), full squats (same as day 1)

day 3: lunges for warm up, bench press (same as day 2), regular squats (no full squats, same reps as always)

Every other week I replace full squats with deadlifts and regular squats with rack pulls - here it's where I have most fun cuz I play with 5 reps or less. I know, I know, I should do the same with squats, I'm a ***** :tongue3: On each session I may throw some light overhead squats, good mornings one hand push ups, bodyweight stairmasters or burpees (I hate burpees). But squats, DLs and bench presses are the meat of it. I don't deviate from it at all.

I take at least a day off between workout sessions, so sometimes I may lift like this 3 times a week, sometimes 2, or sometimes I may lift 7 times in a 2 week period. When I don't lift I jog, do bodyweight stuff (and lately, hitting a tire with an 8lbs sledge hammer.) This leaves me room to do other stuff (fam, g/f, house chores). I'm setting up a gym at home right now so that my g/f and I can nix the commute to the gym. Commutting is an often-neglected factor.

I don't train MA right now (haven't in months), so please take this with a grain of salt. I'm doing this cuz I enjoy it, but I'm certain it must change if I begin to train again more than twice a week.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:06am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good info.

I forgot to add that I also run/sprint two miles a day no matter what day it is. It's just how I wake up now. I'd be willing to sacrifice some of my cardio time but not 2/3's of it. Unless I could find a good set of complex movements which would also work my anerobic capacity. Then I could switch my running days up to just doing a light jog on lifting days and my heavy run for training days. I don't give a **** about looking cut or making women drool with my shirt off. I want everything to be applicable, helpful and advantageous for me in the ring/cage. The goal is to not necessarily be the strongest or the fastest heavy weight. But I'd like to be the rare HW who blends speed with strength .
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -- Unless I could find a good set of complex movements which would also work my anerobic capacity.

Other than power cleans or other explosive lifts, I'm not sure the big three compound ones (bench press, squats and DLs) could help you increase your anaerobic capacity. Certainly not by themselves if you go heavy and low rep. Sprints and other HIIT/plyo activities would give you that.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find the whole thing so confusing. sorry I didn't add much, but everytime I read these threads I try to find a common denominator but it always seems to elude me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast