Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 10:15am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Flash Point - Donnie Yen flick

I'm glad that people can find entertainment in MMA style fighting now, and it can be shown in action movies. ( I don't know how to get a normal font, d'oh) From Kungfucinema.com

‘Flash Point’ lights up Asia

News | In Theaters | by Mark Pollard | 2007.08.02
    FLASH POINT, the latest actioner from KILL ZONE’s dynamic duo, director Wilson Yip and action director and star Donnie Yen, premieres in Beijing today, a day ahead of a wide release across Asia.
    The $10 million production promises to up previous stakes set by Yip and Yen in their recent bid to return Hong Kong to the center ring of international action cinema. The film brings Yen together with fellow kung fu movie star Collin Chou (THE MATRIX TRILOGY), the Shaolin Temple-trained Xing Yu (KUNG FU HUSTLE), Chinese National Tai Chi champion Yan Hua, and co-starring lead Louis Koo who was previously heard as the voice of Shibumi in Yip’s last film DRAGON TIGER GATE.
    Yen has most recently been leading his cast in making the promotional rounds in Beijing where a press conference was held last week. The key topic of discussion was the intensity of the action choreography, something Yen has continually pushed in his films.
    “Shooting THE MATRIX was like working in heaven. However, acting in FLASH POINT is just like returning to Shaolin Temple, meaning I need re-training,” said Collin Chou.
    Chou may have been right on the mark in reference to needing re-training. Although he and Yen are both veteran martial arts stars with years of training behind them, Yen was determined to challenge himself and his co-stars by heavily incorporating Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighting into the film’s choreography, while keeping the fights as realistic as possible.
    MMA sporting events such as the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) have become popular worldwide in the last decade, yet the varied fighting techniques of MMA that often rely heavily on take-downs, grappling and ground work have only recently begun to appear in actioners such as Tsui Hark’s XANDA and Isaac Florentine’s UNDISPUTED 2.
    Martial arts movies have traditionally relied on an exchange of elaborate striking techniques and wire or effects-assisted body movements, often only a few steps away from rhythmic dance or martial arts forms routines. Although restricted by rules for safety sake, MMA is more about what actually works in besting an opponent. Martial arts moviemakers have increasingly had to acknowledge this trend to make their screen fights appear believable for today’s audience. The best will undoubtedly retain the artistic qualities of movie fighting that look good while continuing to maintain the illusion of realistic ass-kicking.
    Pushing the boundaries of screen fighting at the level that Hong Kong filmmakers traditionally work doesn’t come without its share of pain and suffering, especially for the man in charge. “I was injured worse than any other actor. And I needed physical treatment twice a week,” said Yen. “However, I risked my life in the pursuit of the most realistic martial arts sequences, with minimal special effects.”
    For the real fans of martial arts cinema, the payoff is in seeing high-octane action sequences they know can only be produced by the blood, sweat and tears of dedicated screen fighting professionals like Donnie Yen and Collin Chou. By the looks of it, they are in for a treat with FLASH POINT. The two stars will be squaring off for the first time onscreen with a level of hyper-realism and intensity not seen since KILL ZONE.
    “This was the best opportunity I’ve had in nearly 20 years’ of acting to co-operate with Collin Chou and Xing Yu. We all want to extend the credibility of Chinese movies in the world,” said Yen.
    FLASH POINT opens in Hong Kong and surrounding Asian territories on August 3rd.
    Source: CRIENGLISH.com
    Last edited by Scott Larson; 8/09/2007 10:21am at .

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 2:16pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use the search funtion. I already posted a clip from it.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 2:21pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've already seen a movie named flashpoint....it sure wasn't an MA film....that's all i'm saying

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 11:04pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Use the search funtion. I already posted a clip from it.
    DAMMIT. Sorry.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com