Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    9/22/2003 12:45pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't box well.

I've explained before about my eyesight but I don't rmember where so I'll just mention the important part in realation to tracking punches; I have bad peripheral vision and bad depth perception.

I've learned thanks to boxing training with my MMA team and visits to the local boxing gym that I cannot track punches well enough to bob and weave and slip when a jab or cross is comming. I can see haymakers or sloppy hooks comming because I notice the arm looping out away from the body, it's not moving in a straight line riht at me so I can notice it comming before it's too late to do anything. Suffice it to say though, after being jabbed 6 times it becomes more difficult to slip under that ugly haymaker.

Against the average schmuck I think I'd do fine, I've actually got the technique and the pwoer and speed, but even then I know I could get painfully surprised by a damn jab or cross. Thankfully as part of that painful lesson I learned earlier I know I can take a few licks and keep on ticking.

Against someone who's had boxing training for even just a few weeks though I'm fairly certain my face would take way more shots than I'm comfortable with.

Now I suppose it's time to get onto the point of this thead.

Does simply bobbing and weaving without adjusting for what shots my opponent is throwing actually help me get hit less? I'm thinking yes, just some good head movement will help, but am I putting myself too much at risk if I bob down or back real far considering I can't be certain I'm even avoiding anythng but air?

I'm really trying to think of economoy of motion and whether or not this is something I should incorporate (I'd ask my MMA coach or that boxing coach, but I'm in Japan now, plus I just wanted to share) into my standard stance and technique. I'm very focused on using my legs as my primary striking weapons and then closing quickly to grapple. Unffortunatly I can't find a local shooto gym or MMA club to work with so all I can do is work on theory and shadow box and drill a lot (I don't think the judo guys wanna play PRIDE with me).

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading my jumbled mess ^_^

Edited by - Dai-Tenshi on September 22 2003 12:47:53

Marasmos

Posted On:
    9/22/2003 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I suggest is learn to predict punches from body movements. Don't try to track the fists - that's pretty much impossible, good eyesight or not. Try to pick up body motions, strating at the hip/shoulder, and how they translate to punches. Trying to track fists is a trap many beginner boxers fall into, and it almost invariably leads to being knocked the **** out. This is even worse outside the boxing sandbox as there's more weapons to keep track of.
    You say what about my rice?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    9/22/2003 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ANother thing that helps is head movement. Make sure that when you're throwing punches, especially the jab and the cross, you take the cover they provide, and don't keep your head stationary.
    You say what about my rice?

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    9/22/2003 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, that's a good point...body movement over arm/fist movement. I find myself still tracking the fist much of the time...I think I'll consciously work on that.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"AUUUGGGGHHHH!" *TAP*TAP*TAP* - Asia while being TAPPED OUT by CrimsonTiger 08/31/03
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    9/24/2003 1:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I suggest is learn to predict punches from body movements. Don't try to track the fists - that's pretty much impossible, good eyesight or not. Try to pick up body motions, strating at the hip/shoulder, and how they translate to punches. Trying to track fists is a trap many beginner boxers fall into, and it almost invariably leads to being knocked the **** out. This is even worse outside the boxing sandbox as there's more weapons to keep track of.

------------------------
    Common sense is the most uncommon of the senses.
    Worth repeating. I also wanted to add that anpther reason actually you CAN get away with watching the hands more in the ring is the big bright red baloons attatched to each one.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    9/24/2003 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm....Tenshi, not everyone reads all the threads...and you wrote some long-ass stuff that I know *I* didn't completely read.

Why are you half-blind, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"AUUUGGGGHHHH!" *TAP*TAP*TAP* - Asia while being TAPPED OUT by CrimsonTiger 08/31/03
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

Posted On:
    9/24/2003 6:31pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basic eye anatomoy, cones and rods, I have no cones. I am completely color blind, highly light sensitive (sunlight causes physical pain), 20/200, terrible peripheral, and weak depth perception.

I've met people that were like 20/500 before, but thanks to the miracles of modern science they can get glasses, contacts, or even surgery to fix their problem.... I, on the other hand, am without a technilogical answer at the momment.

Brief and informative?

Posted On:
    9/24/2003 10:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ouch.

thanks for the answer though. Appreciated.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

Posted On:
    9/25/2003 12:29am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having survived elementary school, I'm hardly phased by questions concerning my eyesight. No problem, I can understand any confusion you may have had.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2003 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seem to have the same problems. As a new MMA trainee (Ive trained in BJJ for about a year) I notice my head is a nice target.

Ive adjusted in my own way, I just take a punch :P
    But Id love to improve my game. I spar with one of my assitant trainers (He is a blue belt) and hold my own standing (Ive been told I have a killer right hook) ie, I take a good punch....

Enough rambling... Ill leave it up to yall :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast