Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 10:42am

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming I have no weapon: As a more serious answer I find I like to check/grab the knife arm,then try to trap the other arm using my legs or something.. at that point then I try to apply a figure four grip on their arm to help get more control of the knife arm. The dangerous point of that whole mess is when you are holding the one arm if they transition it to your other hand you need to disengage and right quick.

Knife pwns h2h. I guess there's a reason why the filipinos kept that as a 'top level' part of the art.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsmann
    actually I meant both, but perhaps I should've been clearer.
    The DBMA has a fairly extensive curriculum of clinch work with the knife. The defensive material is a regular part of the curriculum. The offensive knifework is particularly heinous, but as you might imagine, Crafty has some significant moral qualms about showing this material to the general public. As such, it is not a part of the average student's curriculum.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 10:17am

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnjunkie
    I find I like to check/grab the knife arm,then try to trap the other arm using my legs or something.

Excuse me? I don't think I understand you. How do you trap the other arm with your legs?

Passing the arm to the figure four is just fine (especially because you can make him stab himself in the shoulder) but I'm seriously confused by the leg thing. Plz explain.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Question!
    Pakal is just a Filipino term for holding the knife in an icepick grip.
    I learned the term as specific to an edge in icepick grip. Does it apply to all icepick grips?

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 2:12pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I learned it blade edge facing inwards, but I don't remember learning how 'specific' pakal was.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffy
    Excuse me? I don't think I understand you. How do you trap the other arm with your legs?

Passing the arm to the figure four is just fine (especially because you can make him stab himself in the shoulder) but I'm seriously confused by the leg thing. Plz explain.

Sorry. When I post from work it usually comes out sounding like a zombie wrote it as it is rambling and incoherent.

Anyways, I forgot to mention I like to do a throw after getting the knife arm. So basically check-grab --> sweep/throw --> use legs to trap opposite arm and apply a figure four from side mount.

It's basically the only way I can figure to do it as safely as possible if you don't have a knife of your own. The danger, is as mentioned, when they get their other arm loose. Then they can transition the knife to the other hand and **** gets real nasty real fast.

On an aside, I don't think I've ever seen any post 6-month newbie FMA practicioners without a knife on their person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 8:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    side note: I pictured myself doing some funky flying-arm trap with my legs and chuckled. No wonder you were confused but damn I'd be the man if I could pull something that ridiculous off.

Banned for failing to live up to the standards he expected of others and wasting more time on calling out forum military members' credentials than he spent in his own military career.

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 6:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bulldogging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post deleted
    Last edited by ar549; 8/17/2007 6:58am at . Reason: double post

Banned for failing to live up to the standards he expected of others and wasting more time on calling out forum military members' credentials than he spent in his own military career.

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 6:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bulldogging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoiDog
    The DBMA has a fairly extensive curriculum of clinch work with the knife. The defensive material is a regular part of the curriculum. The offensive knifework is particularly heinous, but as you might imagine, Crafty has some significant moral qualms about showing this material to the general public. As such, it is not a part of the average student's curriculum.

Aloha, Poi
    Funny you should mention that since he has no moral qualms about about packaging knife videos to sell to the public which can be sent to Iraq, Afghanistan, or even New Jersey to provide terrorist, violent criminals, or just nut cases with information on how to kill civilians, police, and or military personnel.

I guess since he was never in the Military and conducts business with fake POWs and goes as far as attacking the POW Network as "quite disreputable and to be lacking in integrity" his words, he has no problems with capitalism, even when it endangers the general public.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 8:58am

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ar549
    Funny you should mention that since he has no moral qualms about about packaging knife videos to sell to the public which can be sent to Iraq, Afghanistan, or even New Jersey to provide terrorist, violent criminals, or just nut cases with information on how to kill civilians, police, and or military personnel.

I guess since he was never in the Military and conducts business with fake POWs and goes as far as attacking the POW Network as "quite disreputable and to be lacking in integrity" his words, he has no problems with capitalism, even when it endangers the general public.

Uh, you do realize that in the states you can buy assault rifles., right?
    I mean what motivation does a "terrorist" (I don't believe there are any real terrorists in the U.S) have to go out, buy a video on knife related martial arts for? Don't you think it would be much more difficult to teach these techniques to yourself than to just buy an AK-47 for $400?

I mean you can still get CIA letter openers for about ten bucks a piece online. I could order a box of them and hijack a plane sometime next week.

Naturally I have no intention of doing this, nor do most people. I think that learning martial arts is too time consuming, and takes too much patience for most criminals to seriously pursue.

If someone chooses to use the DBMA for violent and negative purposes, it might reflect badly on the Dog Brothers. However they can't be held responsible for someone elses actions.

That is like saying anyone who owns a gun shop is "endangering the public", People who own kitchen supply stores are "endangering the public", people who own self defense stores are "endangering the public", and martial artists and martial arts instructors (like us) are "endangering the public".
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast