Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 11:17pm

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knifework and Grappling

In Fiore's method The Wrestling (Abrazare) is used quite a bit in the knifework (Daga). I've seen this in other historical manuals. Also most demonstrations I've seen of Knifework include atleast some grappling. So I'm wondering if anyone here practices an art where the grappling is used in conjunction with knifework on a regular basis. I mean considering the distance needed to make either work I would guess it's not uncommon for knifework in a lot arts to be done with grappling, but who knows I could need more exposure to knife arts.

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 12:13am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dog brothers.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dog Brothers matches tend to go south pretty quick when there's knifework on the ground.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dog Brothers official position regarding knifework on the ground is simple...be the one with the knife! :viking:
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 6:43am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoiDog
    The Dog Brothers official position regarding knifework on the ground is simple...be the one with the knife! :viking:

Same with JMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 10:48am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because we all know that grappling=ground.

Granted, that tends to happen after any time spent grappling, but I think his question was directed more in the area of grappling that takes place before getting to the ground.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In standing grappling, people also tend to get cut up pretty quick, which is why many methods focus on the use of footwork and distancing at long range even with a somewhat short weapon.

The pakal method of using a knife is somewhat grappling oriented. The knife is held with the edge facing inward in a reverse grip (similar things can be done in a forward edge in grip). When in close, you stab, and it either hits its target or you end up in forearm to forearm contact when they block. From there you pull back to cut the arm usually as you check the arm. From there you repeat until their arms don't work and you can attack uninterrupted. The edge alignment also makes it so when you stab, you can enlarge the wound by ripping in the direction of the edge. Shivworks makes knives to be used in this manner. They are generally small and curved. The forward version of this grip can be used to cause lots of damage to the tricep during an arm drag. These things also add a lot more utility to the double edged knife that a lot of people don't actually get.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesinger
    Because we all know that grappling=ground.

Granted, that tends to happen after any time spent grappling, but I think his question was directed more in the area of grappling that takes place before getting to the ground.
    actually I meant both, but perhaps I should've been clearer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    In standing grappling, people also tend to get cut up pretty quick, which is why many methods focus on the use of footwork and distancing at long range even with a somewhat short weapon.

The pakal method of using a knife is somewhat grappling oriented. The knife is held with the edge facing inward in a reverse grip (similar things can be done in a forward edge in grip). When in close, you stab, and it either hits its target or you end up in forearm to forearm contact when they block. From there you pull back to cut the arm usually as you check the arm. From there you repeat until their arms don't work and you can attack uninterrupted. The edge alignment also makes it so when you stab, you can enlarge the wound by ripping in the direction of the edge. Shivworks makes knives to be used in this manner. They are generally small and curved. The forward version of this grip can be used to cause lots of damage to the tricep during an arm drag. These things also add a lot more utility to the double edged knife that a lot of people don't actually get.
    I see, the knife used in Fiore's daga is called a rondel dagger. It's blunt on the blade but has a very sharp point, pretty it's much it's shaped like a spike. It was made to go through the weak spots in plate harness. Because of it's blunt blade it made it much easier to grapple with.

Pakal, what country is that from? Is it Filipino?

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 6:16pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pakal is just a Filipino term for holding the knife in an icepick grip.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast