Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: I don't

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Kenpo Bullshido for street Self-Defense?

I need something that is going to fill my gap in self-defense. What is that gap? The gap that occurs when I don't have enough time to pull my gun, or I need to buy time to pull my gun.

I started working with a guy that teaches kenpo, he calls it shaolin kenpo but as I understand there really isn't such a thing. I have taken one private class so I'm not married to the guy and he came highly recommend by my brother-in-law who trained with him and seems to be one of the few respected guys in the USSD system. PLEASE DON"T START UP ABOUT USSD!

Do you guys think I'm on the right path or should I be checking out something else?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 12:30am

Style: Taijutsu/Karate/Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a suggestion could be, while your training in that, look around at other arts. Even if there isnt such a thing as shaolin kenpo, if it works and your alive, keep training in it. But its also good to look around at other arts, maybe Judo or Karate?

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 2:24am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC
    I need something that is going to fill my gap in self-defense. What is that gap? The gap that occurs when I don't have enough time to pull my gun, or I need to buy time to pull my gun.

I started working with a guy that teaches kenpo, he calls it shaolin kenpo but as I understand there really isn't such a thing. I have taken one private class so I'm not married to the guy and he came highly recommend by my brother-in-law who trained with him and seems to be one of the few respected guys in the USSD system. PLEASE DON"T START UP ABOUT USSD!

Do you guys think I'm on the right path or should I be checking out something else?

Thanks.
    Not only are you in the wrong forum, you already know the strikes against your teacher.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 7:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I have heard my particular instructor is a good guy, one of the few in the USSD system. What forum should this be in?

Well, he is not my instructor, I took one free private with him this week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 7:50am

Style: Depraved Indifference

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Shaolin" Kenpo = nonsense. There are a few reputable schools, but most are a joke. This phrase was popular in the 80's.

Simple test... fight him, and if you lose, train.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 8:19am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disregard the noise, you will hear only my voice ... who is your new potential teacher? What are other options in your area?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jack Turner. I could go with James Wilks but haven't talked to him about getting private lessons so I don't truly know if that is a possibility.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 8:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I paid for 10 privates but haven't used any of them yet. There was nothing that said it was non-refundable and I figure if I do back out I'll tell him to keep $50 to cover the transaction fee and for no hard feelings.

I decided to go try him after a strong endorsement by someone who trained with him. But maybe for what I am looking for Jeff Wilks would be better.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I wouldn't waste my time with Jack (too many red flags involved with USSD). I can't find any info on Jeff Wilks, do you have any links? What area do you live in, what specifically are you looking for in a martial art? To do with a martial art?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 9:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From their site:

James Wilks is one of the most accomplished self defense experts in the world. He is not only a full instructor under Paul Vunak, but under Erik Paulson as well. He is an expert in weapon self-defense and has taught US Military Special Forces and LE Swat Teams. He is currently an instructor at Front Sight, a top firearms training center.
    James is also an professional MMA fighter with winning records in King of The Cage and other national events. He is also has helped train Ken Shamrock and Josh Barnett for their UFC and Pride Fighting bouts.
    Last edited by SFC; 8/09/2007 9:42am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast