222073 Bullies, 4177 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 11:20pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Do you mean beyond the grammatical "malformatiosn"?

TKD
    I'm pretty sure that he just wants everyone to think about things that are long and hard,

since if he meant anything else he wouldn't have taken the quote so blatantly out of context.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, Boyd, when Sakuraba spent long periods of his fight with Royce with his entire upper body outside the ropes, he became a pretentious douche in your eyes because he claimed to have beaten Gracie but in reality only exploited the ruleset? You aren't one of those guys who hates Randy Couture because he only fights in cages, are you?

Look, either it's a sport or it isn't. You can't have it both ways. If it's a sport, then each side is going to have a goal to reach within a defined ruleset. That's the definition; you can't get around it. It may not be a "fair fight" in your eyes, but both guys know the rules going in.

Had Maynard attempted to compete in a neighboring state the rules would be dramatically different and place Maynard in legitimate danger--the same danger faced by pretty much anyone who steps into the ring. Hence "exploiting the ruleset".
    Had your aunt been born with balls, she'd be your uncle.
    But she wasn't, and he's asking to fight in Georgia, and whether you admit it or not, he never asked you, Boyd, the Comedy Nazi, to worship him as a hero. He's asking an athletic commission to give him a license to fight and they should only refuse if they can say definitively that it's not safe. I'm not convinced it's safe, I just find your hatred arresting.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 5:21am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope he gets to fight, but he's basically asshaholic right wing tool, too. I just don't think that should especially figure in his sports.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 7:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    So... a grappling match with punches to the body more or less. It'd be kind of sad for this to be passed off as an MMA match. I honestly don't see what the appeal is for Maynard to go for an "MMA" match when it's barely different from what he's already doing, other than an appealing headline.

I sort of agree, in the sense that it's not "real MMA". That's true. But on the other hand, people compete in MMA style events with modified rules all the time to get their feet wet. I don't think Hook n Shoot allows striking on the ground. At least the last time I saw one (a few years ago) they didn't. I think the Georgia rules are a good way for fighters to transition to MMA. I'd say the ruleset has a lot of appeal for beginners.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/20/2007 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's a right wing tool? Here we go.
    Do you cheer for Jeff Monson because he's a left-wing tool?

Not only do lots of fighters do modified MMA, but Kid should know all about it since she fights under several different kickboxing rulesets, some much more restrictive than others.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 12:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    He's a right wing tool? Here we go.
    Do you cheer for Jeff Monson because he's a left-wing tool?
    Seriously Jeff Monson kicks ass. Armbar authority!! Choke out the class system!!!!! Anarchists FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 12:49pm

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, well, if he's treated as constantly grounded, he should be subjected to the same stand-up-for-inactivity rules as other competitors. And since he can't, according to that interpretation of the rules, stand up, he should be subjected to whatever penalties are usually assessed against fighters who can't or won't stand up when told to do so by the referee.

e: fixed some stuff, and also wanted to clarify that my point is that I don't see how he could possibly avoid getting killed in a real MMA fight.
    Last edited by nerveasian; 8/21/2007 1:05pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 3:06pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was at the last NAGA I attended. He's actually a really solid Wrestler. I just don't see how he is gonna finish an MMA fight. He pretty much has to get a sub and his submission options are a little limited.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789