8/19/2007 6:49am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    YES.
    HE.
    IS.

How dense are you people? Do you all seriously believe Maynard is anything more than a mediocre wrestler and a professional cripple? Do you not see how Maynard is cynically leveraging his disability to run the talk show circuit and, conveniently enough, promote his NO EXCUSES LIFESTYLE (now available in paperback and audiobooks)?

Maynard isn't a hero. The risks for him competing in MMA are virtually nonexistant, the rewards are tremendous, and Maynard knows this. It doesn't matter if he competes, it doesn't matter if he wins or looses. All that matters is he's successfully convinced legions of people he's an American hero and not just an average wrestler with a penchant for exploiting rulesets.
    I don't think this is fair. Obviously he is using his disability to get money/fame (and hell, probably poon. It was probably hard as **** for this poor bastard to get laid before he starting popping up on Oprah and getting written up in every magazine he could). But so what? Everybody wants to be famous. It's the American dream. If he can use the fact that he has no arms and legs to that end, then more power to him. I think this MMA thing is 100% a publicity stunt but I don't begrudge him for it.

I also highly doubt he originally got into wrestling as a means to stardom.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call bullshit on the fame accusations, too. The fact that he's famous for something doesn't invalidate what he did. That's the same kind of thinking as the pricks who listen to a band until they see a teenager wearing "their" band's t-shirt and then dump them, because after all we wouldn't want the people whose work we admire to be "too" successful.

Same deal with all the people who hate the "TUF noobs." It's fine to joke about, but some people really hate those people for ruining "their" underground sport by making it popular. Never mind that fighters can be fighters for a living now who would have been tending bar the night before a fight ten years ago; what matters is being one of the elite cool kids who likes something other people don't like.

If he's famous, he's famous. Doesn't bother me a bit. At least he's famous because he did something.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like the idea of Maynard going to MMA, but man, the personal vitriol, offense and ridicule thrown at him on the fact that he was born without limbs is just ridiculous. I mean what the ****? It is the internet and all, but really, what the ****?

For those of you who keep hurling insults at Maynard and ridicule him for not having limbs, there is something called Karma, whether you believe on it or not. You never know if your next child or the child of someone close to you (your mother or sibling) may end up having the same congenital condition.

If/when that happens, remember to look back at this thread and the posts you made.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 12:17pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm torn on this subject.

As a fighter and coach I would want to support anyone who wanted to take up this sport. I agree with some of the other comments that Kyle didn't get involved in wrestling for fame and let's be honest, where do you go after wrestling or TMA for that matter? Most athletes these days take a look at MMA as a next step.

In the last few years we saw the first Midget MMA match (which was a joke in my opinion and a publicity stunt at best) not that I have anything against POT (I think that was his name) as he fights MMA regularly.

Like it or not Kyle's opponent will look at him differently than another opponent. What does this do for Kyle? It cheapens his experience, which if is a genuine desire, will not be what he wants.

I don't think there is an easy answer to this but I would not encourage him if I was coaching him to follow this path nor would I let an athlete of mine compete against him.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 1:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like it or not Kyle's opponent will look at him differently than another opponent. What does this do for Kyle? It cheapens his experience, which if is a genuine desire, will not be what he wants.
    Well said...

This is exactly what I mean. As I said I admire the guy, and don't blame him for "being famous" nor do I believe he got into wrestling for that. I never said he exploited anything, but he certainly went along with the ride, and that's ok too. My point is what TKD posted above, it will cheapen the experience for him and his opponent.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Unless you wrote the ruleset, any and all complaints about you "exploiting" the ruleset are bullshit. Simple truth.

There's no difference between that and the standard MMA "exploiting the ruleset" nonsense:

*That wrestler just pinned that guy against the cage; he was just exploiting the ruleset, he's not the better fighter.
    *That wrestler held that striker down for three rounds and smothered his offense completely, but he didn't try to submit him, so he was just exploiting the ruleset, he's not the better fighter.
    *That guy threw elbows and got a lucky cut; he was just exploiting the ruleset.
    Etc. etc. etc.
    Yes. Those are all examples of exploiting a ruleset. If I take someone down in a BJJ tournament and passively hold him until the clock runs out, I've exploited the rules. Maynard's exploiting the rules in a different fashion. While it was never his conscious decision to sport his deformity, it was his decision to compete in Georgia, the only state where strikes to the head on the ground are illegal. Since, as Kyle's represenatives have argued, "Kyle's always on the ground", this eliminates virtually all his opponent's striking capabilities. Had Maynard attempted to compete in a neighboring state the rules would be dramatically different and place Maynard in legitimate danger--the same danger faced by pretty much anyone who steps into the ring. Hence "exploiting the ruleset".

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    I call bullshit on the fame accusations, too. The fact that he's famous for something doesn't invalidate what he did.
    And the fact that he's handicapped doesn't validate his obnoxious, self-serving solipsism vis a vis an unimpressive, good-not-great career. He's a jock, not a hero. I've met hundreds of people just like him in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Elnyka (I am not ever fucking calling you "teh" anything)
    For those of you who keep hurling insults at Maynard and ridicule him for not having limbs, there is something called Karma, whether you believe on it or not. You never know if your next child or the child of someone close to you (your mother or sibling) may end up having the same congenital condition.

If/when that happens, remember to look back at this thread and the posts you made.
    Waitwaitwait, did you seriously just tell me God is going to give my babies congenital amputations because of some mean Internet posts I made a decade prior?

Or, did you seriously just tell me I never know when my mom is going to be born without arms and without legs?

Jesus. That is fucked up.

I like the assumption that I and likeminded people have some sort of irrational, burning hatred for Kyle based solely on the premise that he has no arms and no legs. That my distaste for his shameless proliferation of trite motivational cliches is in some way directly tied to my deep-seeded jealousy that I've never almost made All American or considered "very strong for my size" or whatever vague accomplishments Kyle's racked up. Nigga please. Stephen Hawking. He makes Maynard look like a sweaty hackey sack and the poor fucker can't even keep his face from melting. He's at least seven to eight times more crippled and more accomplished, but if I found his chair tipped over on the side of the freeway, baking in the hot desert sun, I'd probably right it. Conversely, if Maynard were there, I'd re-enact the climax of the Garbage-Picking, Field Goal-Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon.

As fun as it is to imagine me on Google Image Search, looking up pictures of amputees and snarling, frothing, hurling my fist at the monitor, it's not really like that. You see, I dislike Kyle Maynard as a person. I think he is a pretentious douchenozzle. Handicapped people can be a lot of things. They can be doctors, lawyers, wrestlers, or enormous throbbing boners. I believe in treating the differently-ables the same way I'd treat anyone else, and in this case, it's with raw, unfettered rancor, the same bile I reserve for Tony Robbins. Or Robert Kiyosaki. Or Joel Osteen. Or Kevin Tredeau.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, you can wallow in whatever my current username is if that makes you feel good and gives you a boner. And no, I didn't tell you God is going to strike you down or anything for the things you post, nor that you hate him.

I'm telling you that genetic malformatiosn can happen to anybody. Eventually we all (or people close to us) make babies, and there is always the chance one of them will be born with a defect. And that's when it really hits you home.

Whatever you or anybody else feel or you don't feel for Kyle Maynard, that's your business. Asking that he try to clap without looking like a retarded baby seal, that's your business. It's still poor taste and uncalled for, independently of Maynard's attention whoring (which I completely agree on that.)

Take that for what it is, or twist it and reply to it in any way that makes you feel a winner.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 3:28pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Since, as Kyle's represenatives have argued, "Kyle's always on the ground", this eliminates virtually all his opponent's striking capabilities.
    His representatives never tried to argue this. If you go back and reread the article you'll see it was the reporter that made this assertion, and not his attorneys.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 3:55pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    His representatives never tried to argue this. If you go back and reread the article you'll see it was the reporter that made this assertion, and not his attorneys.
    But is the reporter right?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/19/2007 4:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd, you strike me as the self-loathing, "Wo is me" type. I actually find your intense hatred of anyone who speaks or thinks positively to be pretty interesting. I'm curious about why you feel that way. From what I can gather, you detest anyone and everyone who is successful or doesn't think and behave like a loser.

I'm an atheist, and I don't care for a lot of the shithead motivational speakers myself. But it's more than that with you. You don't like religious people, athletes, motivational speakers, famous people, people who believe in self-empowerment, winners, and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Why the hatred? And if you don't think people should think and speak with a positive attitude, then how should they behave? What is the alternative? I know lots of people that talk like you. They're all losers.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast