Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 7:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NAGA

I went to Wildwood, New Jersey for vacation and i saw a NAGA(north american grappling association), it was pretty cool, no kicking or punchin, but it was grappling and submissions.

Anyone ever gone or competed in these, cause i never new of these association till now, im thinking of doing it next year in new jersey.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 7:29pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never done NAGA, but I've done Casca Grossa. They're a lot of fun, and give you a chance to test your abilities against people you don't train with everyday.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whats the rules for casca grossa

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 9:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my first NAGA competition a while ago. I said it then, and I'll say it again now:
    NAGA rules > BJJ rules.
    Unlike BJJ, all submissions are legal. Also unlike BJJ, the scoring system kind of makes sense. No extra four points for losing back control and switching the mount. NAGA is awesome stuff.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last time I went, in New Jersey, there were 1300 competitors total. There were 50 competitors in my divisions alone. I was there for 13 hours. It was insane.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 8:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, thats how it was on Saturday, there must of been like 2000 people

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to my first NAGA competition Saturday and it was like my 3rd competition so far.

I didn't expect to do very well, just wanted the experience plus a friend who won a teen division some years ago wanted to go as well. Long story short I didn't sleep all night because I was so damn excited and go there much earlier than I thought I would. I signed up for gi and no-gi (have't trained in this one but I didn't want to have only one division and wait all day for it).

No-gi was first and we started around 3:00. My friend cam with me but he was out all night and since I made him wake up at 5am he was asleep in the bleechers and went to sleep in the car about an hour before my division started. Anyway I was up first with a guy from TSK. Felt eachother out for a bit, I dove in to try to hook his leg on the inside (wrap min around his and pull it back, I forget the name but Jimmy Pedro likes this move alot) but I miscalculated and he fell onto me knee into groin ---thank God I wore a cup. Anyway I was setting up a guillotine but when he shifted his knee it was so painful I let my choke slip and he had mount (by this time 4 point for him). I pulled half guard but he got back into mount, I tried going over on my stomach while holding his arm so I could roll him but he tapped me with a RNC before I could do it.

Basically I got owned and didn't even wait for gi because I couldn't make my friend wait another 4 hours until my gi division started. Eh, who cares I had the experience and felt I did pretty good for never having trained no-gi...fun as hell, anyone thinking about going to tht e next one in Newark I highly recommend it!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 10:59am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Wolf, did any of the folks from HC go to Jersey over the weekend? I'm gonna be out of class until the 15th due to financial reasons (can't afford gas due to paycheck delays due to fiance switching jobs) and won't be able to get the scoop.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 12:56pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably not. I don't think anyone travels that far for grappling comps.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 1:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what i saw there, there were 90% bjj and wrestlers there, and i train in judo. How would you guys think judo would hold up in these grappling tourneys, cause i just started judo and would like to do this in new jersey next year.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast