Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 10:19am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need a new word, which would fix this. Isshin Ryu is famous for calling anyone who competes in the MA world a "martial sportist", thus stripping us of the phrase "martial artist" simply for competing. I propose we no longer use "TMA" to describe these people, instead finding a new way to describe them. We need to vote on a new acronym or phrase to describe these elitists who disdain any form of contact sparring, actual usefulness, etc. LARPers can easily be included in this catch-all phrase or acronym, as well.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shitty martial artists. It's really simple. These people are shitty martial artists. You can be traditional, or even a bit archaic without being shitty.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 10:47am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since we're painting with broad brush strokes here, how about a general list? Here are some examples of what I think most people (in the US) are thinking of when they refer to "TMAs"
    TMAs:
    Karate
    Kung Fu / Wushu
    Taekwondo
    Kempo
    Judo / JJJ
    Aikido / Hapkido

Non-T MAs:
    Boxing
    Wrestling
    Kickboxing / Muay Thai
    BJJ
    MMA
    Combatives / Krav

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that's the problem right there, isn't it? Wrestling, which has thousands of years of history, is not traditional, and Aikido, which was founded in the lifetime of people still around today, is traditional?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 11:22am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about we split it into LARPing jerks, Traditional jerks, and Cockbiting Elitist jerks, with some obvious crossovers (I'm looking at you Aikido and Isshin Ryu).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 3:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestling, TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good martial artist and Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    My definition of a good traditionalist: Somebody who likes fighting as much as anybody practicing a modern combat sport, who happens to have trained a lot in one of the older styles and still finds a lot of value in a lot of their old style training.

My definition of a bad traditionalist: Somebody who refuses to try out a new training method, or one from another style despite all evidence that it works quite well like there's some kind of dishonour in admitting that what you already did wasn't perfect.
    I think this is correct I do TSD, kendo, Kobudo, Hapkido which are all TMA's, and I also wrestle which is not .I include wrestling into tsd and hapkido and a little (very little) hapkido and TSD into wrestling. I think it should not be named for the martial art itself just the people call them GTMA and BTMA. Simple

:fist:
    Last edited by riddlekon; 8/09/2007 9:45pm at . Reason: typo

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, we're left with two choices here, really, IMO. We can either try and re-educate people as to what truly constitutes a Traditional MA, and how that actually would include arts like wrestling and boxing but not TKD and Aikido, or we can try and understand what it is people most commonly mean when they say TMA which excludes wrestling and boxing but does include TKD and Aikido. Cullion's viewpoint represents the former approach. Mine represents the latter.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just find it really satifying telling people on other forums that what they're practicing isn't actually very traditional and then producing the history of their art to either show that it was either invented circa WWII or that they aren't actually practicing it in the manner which people used to 100 years ago.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:45pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I see it, Martial Arts practiced pre-1900s was used for actual self-defense not sport. There was no belts or ranks. Skill would be determined by a challange match. You would go to learn from a guy that was a better fighter than you. So this "modern" version of Traditional Martial Arts is just a blend of modern ideas with old training ways. Hitting Makiwara instead of punching bags. Using stones and other object instead of weights for strength. Students having abnormal obedience to instructor. So, what really is "traditional", is it training in an art that has been around a long time, or using old training methods. I think at this point, "traditional" is whatever you think your interpretation is.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345