Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kuk Sool Won has a powerful new ally....

So there I was, Saturday afternoon walking up to my local Wal-Mart with a friend of mine to pick up some stuff. As I entered through the doors I saw a woman in a black gi and a black belt around her waist greeting people as they entered the store. She was also holding a small box. I dint think much of it so I went on to and started searching for my stuff.

While I was in the candy aisle I heard a store announcement through the ceiling speakers -
    "Kuk Sool Won Demo is about to begin in-between the jewelry and ladies clothing department". As soon as I heard the announcement I quickly walked over to the cleared out area, took a seat and unfortunately, dint think of catching the event on my phone.

As soon as the demo started I noticed something fishy straight from the beginning- the WHITE belt was the guy demonstrating the moves on a blue belt....
    So the demo began- It started off with the white belt doing an Ashida Kim style arm lock and takedown. Once the blue belt was on the floor (on his stomach) the white belt "quickly" took off his white belt and tied it around the blue belts ankles. The Blue Belt, for some reason, was tapping the mat several times and was yelling in pain. (Who knew having a belt around your ankles was so painful). The white belt guy then looked at the audience and said "The Foot cuff technique!". After that, a bunch of KSW kids in uniform raided the mat, said something in Korean, bowed to the audience and then the demo was over.

My friend and I tried our best to hold in our laughter. We started walking away and I saw a bunch of parents asking the Asian lady about the "2 free weeks". My friend told me to play stupid and go check it out. They asked for my contact info, gave me a "2 free weeks" pass and a brochure. The brochure had the address to their website:

http://kswtomball.com/

Apparently, they teach everything including ground fighting according to their website:
    http://kswtomball.com/whatWillILearn.html

Based on the demo that I saw, there’s a 99% chance that this school is a bullshido-riden mess. There is only one true way to find out though- I will be attending some of their free classes next week. I will update this thread after class.

Posted On:
    4/29/2007 3:42pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, seems like a run of the mill Martial Arts School. They probably do what every school does: Forms, compliant self-defense techniques and some non-contact sparring. No different then the rest.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    4/30/2007 7:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BackFistMonkey VS Tom ::: take 2

http://kswtomball.com/gallery.html .

Well I have looked through all the pictures in the gallery and there is not one person in any photograph that I would not spar or fight full contact . I am a ***** ... it doesn't take much to impress me . I saw a glorified daycare and LARP-tastic training methods .

Quote Originally Posted by website
    “Kuk Sool is very mind relaxing and makes me feel good about myself and my body. I enjoy that I can be part of the same activity that my children enjoy as well. The School is very clean and best of all very close to my house. Master Alex Suh shows much respect to all, is a patient master, and most of all, strives for perfection. My kids and I sincerely enjoy our class.”

Nancy G.
    Age 32- Assistant Property Manager

“I feel fortunate to have the benefit of such a special and highly skilled instructor as Master Alex Suh. For me, he not only does a tremendous job of teaching, he makes his classes fun and high-spirited. He creates a highly motivational atmosphere that makes you want to learn. He has the ability to bring out the best in every student with his kindness, understanding and patience! I look forward to every lesson on my way to becoming a black belt.”

Larry C.
    Age 61- Construction Company President
    .... ..... ....

Quote Originally Posted by website

Kuk Sool Won has been a great investment for my whole family and me. It has helped us learn some very useful techniques that some day could be very important to us. The masters are great at Kuk Sool Won.”

Michele M.
    Age 36 - Teacher
    Lets see how much all this comes out to and compare it to other gyms and schools in the area and see if we can't get some mat time at the end to see how the advanced students match up with other schools .

I hope the OP will be taking notes during the lengthy bits about payments and contracts at the end of the first week .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2007 10:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to drop by for the free lessons today but finals are right around the corner. This will be slightly delayed.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    5/01/2007 1:37pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious about this white belt doing the techniques. What you saw was "Po Bohk Sool" or rope techniques. These are not generally taught until 2nd Dan. Excepting that the technique looked impractical, how smooth did it look? The reason I ask is that new Masters (5th Dan) are issued white belts as a sign that they are really just beginning their learning. I've never seen one where one for a demo though. I'm just curious is this was the case. As for the school itself, Tomball is the home of the KSW world headquarters. I never got a chance to train there, so I can't speak firsthand of the school, but it looks pretty similar to most every kuk sool school I've seen.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 11:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I'm curious about this white belt doing the techniques. What you saw was "Po Bohk Sool" or rope techniques. These are not generally taught until 2nd Dan. Excepting that the technique looked impractical, how smooth did it look? The reason I ask is that new Masters (5th Dan) are issued white belts as a sign that they are really just beginning their learning. I've never seen one where one for a demo though. I'm just curious is this was the case. As for the school itself, Tomball is the home of the KSW world headquarters. I never got a chance to train there, so I can't speak firsthand of the school, but it looks pretty similar to most every kuk sool school I've seen.
    The technique looked impossible to pull off in a fight. And Tomball, Texas is the world KSW headquarters? I have a very, very hard time believing that. Were just a small town outside of Houston, why would the HQ be here?

Anyways, I still have yet to drop by, I will as soon as I'm done with finals.

EDIT

It has just been brought to my attention that these guys are not satisfied with just Wal Mart. They will be doing a Demo at my own school during finals week. I'll be prepared this time. I'll catch them on video.
    Last edited by EmperorCesar; 5/03/2007 11:32pm at .

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 11:39pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm.... excuse me! could you please tell me what isle the kuk sool won is on. thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 10:18am

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's it. I'm done with this ****. I'm going to go out and make up a fucking ridiculous martial art to sell multicolored sword-substitute sticks to children and adults. We'll have compliant drills, fake meditation, and we'll practice kneeling sword techniques in fields. Sparring isn't hardcore: grass stains are hardcore. Don't worry, though, the uniforms will be black so they'll still look okay.

I'll create a cult around that ****, and I'll make TEN MILLION DOLLARS before announcing that it's all one big FUCKING FRAUD.

God damn I wish I had the balls and the startup capital to actually do this. Somebody needs to prove, in this area, as in any other, people are gullible fuckers. I would consider it a public service.

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 12:37pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kohadril
    That's it. I'm done with this ****. I'm going to go out and make up a fucking ridiculous martial art to sell multicolored sword-substitute sticks to children and adults. We'll have compliant drills, fake meditation, and we'll practice kneeling sword techniques in fields. Sparring isn't hardcore: grass stains are hardcore. Don't worry, though, the uniforms will be black so they'll still look okay.

I'll create a cult around that ****, and I'll make TEN MILLION DOLLARS before announcing that it's all one big FUCKING FRAUD.

God damn I wish I had the balls and the startup capital to actually do this. Somebody needs to prove, in this area, as in any other, people are gullible fuckers. I would consider it a public service.
    Hey good idea! I know! you could call it.......Ninjitsu!:occasion1

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    5/04/2007 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Cesar
    The technique looked impossible to pull off in a fight. And Tomball, Texas is the world KSW headquarters? I have a very, very hard time believing that. Were just a small town outside of Houston, why would the HQ be here?
    Regardless, last I check The KSW Headquarters were in Tomball, TX, I don't know how current this information is, I'm sure wolf can tell us more
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast