Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 7:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    All of those threads that say "Goon Read me!!" etc., will help you to not make mistakes like the one you are making now.
    So i would suggest you read those first, in particular the dojo reviews one and the "Bullshidoka arguments."
    Then you should go back in this thread and if you cannot be bothered to read the whole thing (another mistake) at least go back to about post #240 and pay particular attention to the posts by DerAuslander, IIF and Mtripp.
    I already read "Goon Read Me" threads. It was about a week ago and when I came back on this week I had forgotten. My bad.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2010 11:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KUK SOOL WON/KUNG FU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Martial arts are not just martial arts. There is a difference between what they serve at an up-scale 5 star French bistro and what you get fed at the local county jail or soup line...and everything in between. Martial arts is not just martial arts anymore than "food is food" or "motor oil is motor oil." There's a wide range of quality, concepts and approaches. If you come away from a school thinking that "martial arts is martial arts," then that's generally not a particularly ringing endorsement of the school IMO.

I don't doubt that what the SCMA teaches can really be used for general self defense and/or physical exercise. However, based upon what's been put forward here, I think that the name School of Chinese Martial Arts *is* somewhat misleading. School of Asian Martial Arts might be a better name...
    Touche'

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 10:50pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gave the school a call to find out about the bjj program. It's $135 a month just for bjj. That covers 3 classes a week, 1 hour each class. Fiorenzi "generally" teaches two of those classes, while Brown teaches the rest. Sifu Brown "is ranked to teach brazillion jiu-jitsu".

!!!

I'm surprised that Tyrone (who Moose knows a little and who was at one of our throwdowns) doesn't go out to teach the other classes. He is another top instructor at EastWest. Or at least they could get a pur... Er... bluebelt to go out and grab the other ones that Fiorenzi can't get to.

$135 for 3 hours a week!!!

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    3/31/2010 10:57pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S. Mr. Mark Tripp, finding out if Ryan Fiorenzi is himself legit should be very easy for you. Your nephew Ted teaches Judo at Ryan's school!

;)

Posted On:
    4/01/2010 10:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IXxAZAZELxXI View Post
    Touche'
    It's cool...
    ...then there is Infinite Path Martial Arts which is run by some individuals that are and/or were associated with Si Fu Brown's SCMA. They seem to be cool and run a cool school but, again the question of mixing Japanese and Chinese stuff comes up. They also use the concept of "partners" for drills and sparring which sounds very cool so long as it's properly applied. I can see how it could quickly degenerate into an out of touch with reality child's game though too if one is not careful. IPMA does seem like a good school in general though based on what I've heard and learned about it. Anyone else have any thoughts on them?

I tried to adjust my ratings a few weeks ago but something went wrong...sorry.

I've been out of touch due to several reasons including job interviews, sick relatives and starting Wing Chun in a new school in the Detroit area. Been pretty busy...

Ciao.
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930