Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IXxAZAZELxXI View Post
    I just don't really care to dispute anything, Just bored really. who am I to tell you what to believe???
    Why keep posting then?

I do not doubt the evidence of my own eyes, so my opinion, and I am an expert on my opinion, will remain unchanged.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 2:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MTripp is correct and you have been taken for a ride.

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 12:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Call it what ever you will, It's still a great place (probably the best place) To learn martial arts weather it be japanese or chinese, it's still just martial arts. I have been to many a places in the recent years here in texas. Ive practiced at Gracie Barra schools down here, Green power ranger school (Rising sun,HAHAHA, It was laughable.) And a kuk sool won school and I'll tell ya even if y'all think your being scammed there, Trust me these so called "legit places" can't even come close to what you can learn there. So if you people think sifu is a fraud, then I say probably the best experienced fraud i have ever had the pleasure of practicing with in my life. And trust me, ive being practicing for about 14 years, I know what Im looking at.
    I can't speak for anyone else but, I wasn't saying that Si Fu Brown was a total fraud. I was just saying that some legitimate questions were raised about his school by Dagon. Do I think Brown's school is total BS? No. Do I think that there are some questionable practices associated with it? Yes. Do I think you can learn a lot form them? Yes. Do I think that a good portion of what they teach is not really Chinese? Yes.

There are differing levels of Fraud, error, and/or negligence out there. On one extreme you have the guy who's just seen a few martial arts movies, taken a dance class, and lifted some weights trying to open up his own ninja school. That's total fraud and pure BS. Then you have a guy who's really earned a black belt in Karate opening up a ninja school. That's significant fraud but, at least what he's teaching works, even if it's not real ninja tai-jutsu. Then you have the guy who's really studied with Stephen K Hayes for a few years but, also has a 4th degree Karate black belt...He opens his own ninja school. There he teaches a mixture of ninjutsu and Karate while only calling it Ninjutsu. Now that's technically "fraud." However it's not too bad for most...technically it's not pure Ninjutsu but, it's certainly forgiveable too. It's acceptable because the guy is teaching Ninjutsu, it's just that he's mixing some Karate with it as well-which is probably the best thing to mix because at least Karate is also Japanese. Most importantly, what is being taught works.

The SCMA is closer to this last example that I've given IMO. I think that they are teaching SOME real Chinese stuff but, they need to be more forthcoming about how much Japanese (and other) stuff is mixed in...that and/or change the name of the school at least. It's the name of the school that makes it misleading and questionable when so much Nipponese influence can be seen. Not a big deal if you just want to learn self defense and/or get in shape but, if you're specifically looking for traditional Yue Chia, then Dagon's points become very relevant...very legitimate...very fast...

I'm sure Si Fu Brown knows a lot of good stuff...but, just come out and say what it really is...

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    MTripp is correct and you have been taken for a ride.
    Depends on what the objectives are/were. If one just wants to get into shape (e.g. lose 5 lbs) then SCMA or almost any school will do. If one wants to learn real traditional Chinese Kung Fu however, then that's a whole different ball game. At that point SCMA/Brown needs to answer some serious questions. I don't doubt that some people looking for real traditional Chinese Kung Fu have been taken for a ride to one degree or another at SCMA but, probably most of the people there just want to learn a little bit and get in shape. For them, the school should be kosher.

Whatever the case, SCMA is probably 50 times better than that "school of Chinese Kung Fu and Chinese Boxing" that was on 9-Mile and Woodward in Ferndale Maichigan. That was the biggest joke around here...

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 1:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it does not.
    Have you read the stickies?

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 1:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Call it what ever you will, It's still a great place (probably the best place) To learn martial arts weather it be japanese or chinese, it's still just martial arts. I have been to many a places in the recent years here in texas. Ive practiced at Gracie Barra schools down here, Green power ranger school (Rising sun,HAHAHA, It was laughable.) And a kuk sool won school and I'll tell ya even if y'all think your being scammed there, Trust me these so called "legit places" can't even come close to what you can learn there. So if you people think sifu is a fraud, then I say probably the best experienced fraud i have ever had the pleasure of practicing with in my life. And trust me, ive being practicing for about 14 years, I know what Im looking at.
    Martial arts are not just martial arts. There is a difference between what they serve at an up-scale 5 star French bistro and what you get fed at the local county jail or soup line...and everything in between. Martial arts is not just martial arts anymore than "food is food" or "motor oil is motor oil." There's a wide range of quality, concepts and approaches. If you come away from a school thinking that "martial arts is martial arts," then that's generally not a particularly ringing endorsement of the school IMO.

I don't doubt that what the SCMA teaches can really be used for general self defense and/or physical exercise. However, based upon what's been put forward here, I think that the name School of Chinese Martial Arts *is* somewhat misleading. School of Asian Martial Arts might be a better name...

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    goon, you don't understand the term aliveness as it used around here. please read the sticky about ratings and adjust your score accordingly.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 1:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    No, it does not.
    Have you read the stickies?
    "No, it does not" what?

Nope...what's the stickies about?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    "No, it does not" what?

The rating system you are attempting to use .

The stickies are located at the top of each forum and sub-forum .

I went through and made sure they all say Goon in the title just so you could spot them .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    3/13/2010 2:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "No, it does not" what?
    Depends on what the objectives are/were.
    All of those threads that say "Goon Read me!!" etc., will help you to not make mistakes like the one you are making now.
    So i would suggest you read those first, in particular the dojo reviews one and the "Bullshidoka arguments."
    Then you should go back in this thread and if you cannot be bothered to read the whole thing (another mistake) at least go back to about post #240 and pay particular attention to the posts by DerAuslander, IIF and Mtripp.
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 30 LastLast