221325 Bullies, 3864 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. onikage is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    19

    Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:03am


     Style: MMA/BJJ, Krav Maga, Ninpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Want to start BJJ.

    Hey, first post.

    I'm currently in the Jinenkan organization training in "ninjutsu" [as much as we hate that word, it's easiest for others to identify with]. I'm ex BJK because they don't train alive and they just make up excuses as to why they don't need to, and I got sick of it. The JNK has sparring, resisting uke's, full force striking, lots of working out and drilling the fundamentals which I really enjoy doing.

    I've also been encouraged to cross train. Manaka-sensei, kancho of the organization, always told us to cross train as much as possible because when it comes down to a real fight "there won't be a teacher standing over your shoulder and you should have as many weapons in your arsenal as possible".

    I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good BJJ schools in Rhode Island. I found http://www.timburrill.com/ and emailed him asking for some info, but was just wondering if anyone from RI had any insider info they'd be willing to share.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. chingythingy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,166

    Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:15am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Top notch Carlos Machado black belt. Any Carlos Machado BB will be highly technical. Tim competes too. I'd go for it.
  3. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,236

    Posted On:
    5/10/2007 1:49am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    Top notch Carlos Machado black belt. Any Carlos Machado BB will be highly technical. Tim competes too. I'd go for it.
    I agree, but then again my instructor is also a Carlos Machado black belt. I believe he was promoted to black belt around the same time as my instructor, William Vandry, was. William has always spoken very highly of Mr. Burrill.
    Shut the hell up and train.
  4. fidgit is offline
    fidgit's Avatar

    Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rogue's Island
    Posts
    127

    Posted On:
    6/16/2007 9:09am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MACP, Guns

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a little late to this thread. I've rolled at Tim's for almost a year. He's s super nice guy and extremely proficient at BJJ. Local UFC guys come to class to work on their BJJ. He's one of the best in the region, not just RI. The classes vary in size, but he's got about 60-70 students overall. We have class every day except Sunday, with Two classes on Tuesday and Thursday (afternoon and night). Saturday is open mat, and a lot of guys do MMA and no-gi. Tuesday afternoon and Friday night are also no-gi classes. The students have a real family dynamic, and you don't have to worry about egos. Everyone is willing to help new students.

    edit- his rates are about the average for MMA/BJJ clubs in the area, but he's super flexible with payment options.

    edit- I just realized how bullshido "local MMA guys" sounds. Jorge Rivera has started training at our gym to work on his ground game. Tim's brown belts also teach at Sityodtong, Borrelli's MMA and Battleground Training Center.
    Last edited by fidgit; 6/18/2007 9:11am at . Reason: clarification
  5. HongKongFukYu is offline
    HongKongFukYu's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    330

    Posted On:
    6/25/2007 4:38pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgit
    I'm a little late to this thread. I've rolled at Tim's for almost a year. He's s super nice guy and extremely proficient at BJJ. Local UFC guys come to class to work on their BJJ. He's one of the best in the region, not just RI. The classes vary in size, but he's got about 60-70 students overall. We have class every day except Sunday, with Two classes on Tuesday and Thursday (afternoon and night). Saturday is open mat, and a lot of guys do MMA and no-gi. Tuesday afternoon and Friday night are also no-gi classes. The students have a real family dynamic, and you don't have to worry about egos. Everyone is willing to help new students.

    edit- his rates are about the average for MMA/BJJ clubs in the area, but he's super flexible with payment options.

    edit- I just realized how bullshido "local MMA guys" sounds. Jorge Rivera has started training at our gym to work on his ground game. Tim's brown belts also teach at Sityodtong, Borrelli's MMA and Battleground Training Center.
    Hi Fidgit, I'm planning on going to Tim's relatively soon. I trained at Mat Santos for a short while a few months back.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Tim also have beginner classes at 8:00 to 9:00 PM on Tuesday and Thursday? For the time being, that's perfect for my work schedule.
  6. fidgit is offline
    fidgit's Avatar

    Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Rogue's Island
    Posts
    127

    Posted On:
    6/25/2007 9:57pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MACP, Guns

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, we have beginner classes Tuesday and Thursday, after regular classes. Usually Tim's brown belts teach those classes, 8-9 (sometimes they'll go later if everyone is into it). Mat is in all the time. A lot of the Santos guys go to Tim's and vice versa. Unfortunately, I'll be out for a bout 8 weeks while I go to Ft. Leonard Wood for some Army stuff.
  7. cyrijl is offline
    cyrijl's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,796

    Posted On:
    6/25/2007 10:01pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it isn't too late, Tim's great. That is where I started my jits
  8. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,960

    Posted On:
    6/25/2007 11:12pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgit
    Unfortunately, I'll be out for a bout 8 weeks while I go to Ft. Leonard Wood for some Army stuff.
    Fucking Fort Lost in the Woods. Try not to get any flesh eating bacteria if you go out in the field.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  9. HongKongFukYu is offline
    HongKongFukYu's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    330

    Posted On:
    6/25/2007 11:13pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fidgit
    Yup, we have beginner classes Tuesday and Thursday, after regular classes. Usually Tim's brown belts teach those classes, 8-9 (sometimes they'll go later if everyone is into it). Mat is in all the time. A lot of the Santos guys go to Tim's and vice versa. Unfortunately, I'll be out for a bout 8 weeks while I go to Ft. Leonard Wood for some Army stuff.
    That's awesome that Mat's students roll at Tims...he's got some great guys there, particularly Keith and Nick. Both those guys were great instructors (as was Mat himself). I was initially worried that it would be frowned upon if I went to Tims, but I'm going to Tims' for two reasons:

    1) For the next couple of months, 8-9 on Tuesday and Thursday is all I've got time-wise.
    2) I need a bit more of a beginner focus, and it seems that most of the guys at Santos are pretty advanced, even the white belts.

    Reality is I'd like the option to train at both places at some point...I really miss training at Santos.
  10. HongKongFukYu is offline
    HongKongFukYu's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    330

    Posted On:
    6/26/2007 9:21am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    onikage, sorry for hijacking your thread!

    To contribute, Tim is VERY well reputed and one of his brown belts just won the expert division at NAGA.

    Unfortunately North Providence is going to be a bit of a hike for you, but I think it'll be worth it. I myself will be joining in September.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.