Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 11:16am

Style: tae kwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

St Louis Martial Arts Center

St Louis Martial Arts Center

WARNING: Before reading any further please consider the following forum: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=Investigating

THIS REVIEW IS BASED PURELY ON THE TRAINING RELATED ASPECTS OF THE SCHOOL. I'M NOT GOING TO COVER ANY HISTORY, NOR WOULD I REFLECT ON ANY FUTURE PLANS OF SCHOOL'S INSTRUCTOR.

Phone: 314-921-7337

Head Instructor: S.C. Ray (owner)

Head Instructor Rank: Confirmed 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon-Do through WTF (Kuk Ki Won); a certified instructor by “Dragon Kung Fu”; 6th degree black belt in Sun Do Sul system through Grandmaster Y. S. Choi of Colorado (questionable)

School Affiliations: Grandmaster Y. S. Choi of Colorado, 9th degree black belt.

Web site: http://stlouismartialartscenter.com/

Pros:
    - Grandmaster Y. S. Choi of Colorado frequently visits the school and teaches seminars
    - There is some Tae Kwon-Do, Kung-Fu and limited grappling training involved

Cons:
    - The most expensive tuition I’ve seen around ($150 sign-up fee and about $165/mo for 4 classes a week with 1.5 yr. contract)
    - $150 sign-up fee
    - 1.5 yr contracts
    - Short classes made even shorter by Mr. Ray preaching moral principles to the class for 5-10 minutes at the end of each session
    - Kids in adult classes
    - No experienced students, no experienced assistant instructors
    - Too many different fees
    - Classes are only good enough for a mediocre warm-up

My comments:

Once again, if you haven’t read the “Investigating Master S. C. Ray” forum (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=Investigating), I encourage you to do so. Before making any decision I’d wait for this issue to be resolved this way or another even if you like the place.

OK, now to the training. I’ve tested it out for 2 weeks. Even though Mr. Ray introduced some fun into the class and appears to be enthusiastic about the whole thing, there are still too many aspects I personally consider negative. First of all, there are kids all over the place (and the place is not that big to start with). You have to be very careful in order to avoid running into them. There are also NO experienced students – Mr. Ray is the only one with some experience (he told me this is due to the fact that the school is relatively new and has been there for only 3 years). His Master (Grandmaster Y. S. Choi) is a great guy I have respect for. GM Choi has great understanding of and experience in martial arts, but the tie between him and Mr. Ray may be shattered to pieces in the near future (read “Investigating Master S. C. Ray” thread).

Intensity-wise, classes are way too light. They try to cover different things, but since the class is only about 45 minutes long (which makes it about 35 minutes long is you subtract the time Mr. Ray wastes on explaining basic morale qualities to both kids and adults at the end of the class), you really learn very little is anything. With classes like that you won’t be able even to lose some weight not to mention become a martial artist.
    Mr. Ray appears like a person who knows his stuff. At the same time he turned the school into a big money sucking device - the fees are outrageous and you get almost nothing in return.

I would not recommend this school to anybody.

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 1:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tae kwan do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I beg to disagree. I have attended this school and there are other black belt instructors in class. The teaching of high morals is something one may find boring or not worthwhile, but i feel it has a great value in teaching the students respect. My entire family goes there and we find it very enlightening compared to other schools that are just in it to get your money.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2008 2:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joesgarage
    I beg to disagree. I have attended this school and there are other black belt instructors in class. The teaching of high morals is something one may find boring or not worthwhile, but i feel it has a great value in teaching the students respect. My entire family goes there and we find it very enlightening compared to other schools that are just in it to get your money.
    Sure i agree that respect in a ma school is very important. But i believe that you can find a common ground where your students have respect as well as great technique. In this case STLMA center has nothing to offer you except high prices and little training. if i could recommend anything I would say that go to him for his "moral speeches" and nothing else. falsifing any info to anyone no matter how little is the absolute worst thing you can do in this business. So if you wanna learn morals from someone who dosen't really have any, then i guess to anyone who dosen't know any better.......ignorance is bliss.

In the immortal words of S.C. Ray......I will pray for you.

NoFear900