Posted On:
    8/06/2007 10:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazillian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pinchers...

SUCK!

Ok so here is the story. I was working scissor sweeps from guard, with an approximately 50 year old white belt. He hasn't been to our class since way before I joined (about 6 months ago), and this was one of his first nights back.

Whenever I was in his guard, he would pinch the arm attached to the trapped hand. And he would pinch that fucker HARD. At the very beginning, I ignored it because I didn't think we would be working that move all night. Also, I know that it can be hard to grip the arm with the gi and not pinch a little, as my instructor pinched a little when he demonstrated. However, his pinches felt incidental and didn't hurt at all. But after a couple of pinches from this guy, I started getting pissed.

I mean he is pulling on the same arm he is pinching to throw my weight over to one side, and he pinched the entire way. I told the guy pretty quickly that he was pinching me and that I didn't like it. He seemed to be nice enough and acted like he would try to stop. But it didn't, and I felt myself getting more and more pissed.

So mine is basically a question of ettiquite. Although he was nice, he also made the passing comment that the purpose of our techniques was to harm the opponent. He didn't say this in reference to my complaint, he actually said it when we were talking about the roughness of the gi choke that followed the scissor. So that could say something about his general attitude. Speaking of that, he raked his elbows accross my face pretty hard to when going for the choke, and now I have some weird bruising on my neck. But thats a side note compared to the fingertip bruises and peeled skin on the triceps of both my arms. I'm no stranger to pain (multiple torn ligaments and muscles, scars galore, and then there's the stuff from sparring) but this pinching **** was really trying my patience.

Normally I don't have a problem sharing what I recieve, especially if I think the person is being a dick. But in this guys case, he just seemed ignorant. I would be a little more agressive with my sweep, arm control, and choke just to work off some of the agression, but I never started pinching him back. A blue belt friend of mine said that in the past when he was younger and more arrogant, he would give these people hell. But he also said that started rivalries and he had his ankle popped twice because of it.

So I was just wondering what some other people have done in these situations and what was the result?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when appropriate, look around and say "i see training partners, not opponents."

also, "easy man, i have to go to work tomorrow."

and if you can't get him to chill, talk to the instructor.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fart while you side mount him, then when the hot pocket of noxious fumes pickles in your gi, spin to a kimura when you have to sit on his head, that is when you pinch your knees and look like you are trying to finish.

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 6:03am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or, when you've got a fart loaded in the torpedo tube and ready to go, switch from side control to north south and let rip in his face and wait for the tap. My Judo instructor's wife named that one "The Brown Bomb."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 1:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazillian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All good advice except for the last two. My farts are lethal...
    Last edited by WestonE123; 8/07/2007 1:53pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 5:40pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a girl in my class that i spar with often. if she ever takes my back i tickle her feet. she gets off real quick and yells at me, its fun =)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2007 1:58am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dual meaning of get off there.

If the pinches bother you, it's a good thing he's doing them. Gotta be able to deal with grinding and anything related. If you can ignore it and all you get is some gi burn or bruises afterwards then maybe it's time to ask him to stop.