Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:39am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the idea of moing to MMA gloves but keeping mostly boxing rules, but I agree with the general consensus that boxing is much too bound by tradition and whatnot to ever make that change (in the near future). So perhaps what's needed is a new sport entirely?

Strategy-wise, I can still see jabs being important, but heavy, loaded jabs. A flurry of real, heavy jabs can protect you from power shots if the jabs land, and set you up for a shot of your own. Defense would of course move away from blocks and toward parries and slips, the guard would move further from the face, and fights would probably go a lot faster.

Clinching is in my opinion one of the absolute worst plagues of boxing. A clinch should either be an ENFORCED foul (I read a book written by an american white collar boxer who did not even know that clinching was technically a foul - he writes an angry paragragph about a ref who warned him for excessive clinching) OR the boxers should be allowed to continue to punch while clinching - perhaps even allow throws again? People wouldn't be so gung ho to clinch after a rush if they might eat a hip throw. Kind of a boxing verison of San Shou.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 2:54am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the idea of allowing punches in the clinch, just not the throws. No offense, but it doesn't seem much like boxing if a Judo player could work up enough defense to go in and just toss people haplessly about. (Then again, we rock and can do that anywhere.)

The one reason I can think of just having highly enforced anti-clinch rules would be clinches could kill the traditional in-fighter and those matches are my personal favorite to watch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 4:24am

Style: TKD, Boxing & SW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    I like the idea of moing to MMA gloves but keeping mostly boxing rules, but I agree with the general consensus that boxing is much too bound by tradition and whatnot to ever make that change (in the near future). So perhaps what's needed is a new sport entirely?

Strategy-wise, I can still see jabs being important, but heavy, loaded jabs. A flurry of real, heavy jabs can protect you from power shots if the jabs land, and set you up for a shot of your own. Defense would of course move away from blocks and toward parries and slips, the guard would move further from the face, and fights would probably go a lot faster.

Clinching is in my opinion one of the absolute worst plagues of boxing. A clinch should either be an ENFORCED foul (I read a book written by an american white collar boxer who did not even know that clinching was technically a foul - he writes an angry paragragph about a ref who warned him for excessive clinching) OR the boxers should be allowed to continue to punch while clinching - perhaps even allow throws again? People wouldn't be so gung ho to clinch after a rush if they might eat a hip throw. Kind of a boxing verison of San Shou.
    An idea would be modifed old bareknuckle boxing rules with mma gloves.
    *Rounds only end when either fighter is thrown or knockeddown
    *30 seconds of rest then, however, if the other fighter can't rise and move to his corner within the 30 seconds, he will be considered ko'd
    *Must reach the scrach within four seconds after round is called to start
    *Fights can be stopped by the ref if one fighter is not intelligently defending himself
    *Takedown's may only be upperbody
    *Must wear 4-6 oz fingerless gloves
    *An hour timelimit on championship fights and other timelimits at different levels for television reasons
    *Fights end in KO, TKO or Decision
    *Decisions are based on who won the most rounds
    *In the event of a draw, one more round will be fought to determine the victor

Well that would certainly change all the modern fight strats. Anywho my lineage is Jack Demsey nut-ridery

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 9:36am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by couch13
    An idea would be modifed old bareknuckle boxing rules with mma gloves.
    Well that would certainly change all the modern fight strats. Anywho my lineage is Jack Demsey nut-ridery
    I could go for that. :eusa_clap

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 9:34pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a pretty interesting thread ...

I almost wish they'd have a section of boxing that was with smaller gloves.

I know I get stupid points for bringing up trapping, but in my experience with sparring empty hands, I have seen some people who have trained trapping and actually apply it in full speed sparring stuff.. I really would be curious to see if anybody would try to bring some of that into a boxing ring with smaller gloves. It's pretty much the ideal spot to try anything new - no ground, no kicking, and no clinching that won't be broken up, within a few seconds..

Don't get me wrong, I know alot of people, and i mean ALOT of people practice craptastic trapping. I've seen it done. But I've also seen it done right, and had my ass kicked by it, before, actually. I mean I'm no pro striker, but I do spar stand up a pretty good bit..

I'm just trying to think out of the box here. The false lead stuff is really good when applied right.. I'm pretty sure the dog brothers went over alot of this type of thing.. I'll try and find it if I can. Again, I'm not your retarded exoticy MAist, I've just begun to see some good results from training trapping in a live environment, and would be curious to see it applied in a smaller gloved boxing environment.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all for fucking bareknuckle boxing making a comeback. Those big gloves definitely take a bit of realism away from defense.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567