Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 1:56pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing using MMA gloves.

I thought it might be interesting to have a big argument over how boxing technique and styles would be different if boxing switched to MMA style and size (4 oz.) gloves. That is the basic premise, however if you want to speculate on rule changes due to the change in gloves that would be cool also. Feel free to give your opinion of whether you would think this would be an improvement or not. Outrageous statements, personal insults and extreme anger are not required but are strongly encouraged.

My initial feeling is the game would begin to look more like bare knuckle boxing without the fear of busting up your hands. I think it would be more of a longer ranged game with some quick infighting attacks followed by footwork to create distance. Due to the smaller gloves some, if not many, of the current boxing covers would not be as effective. I think the jab would lose favor to a harder punching style as no one will want to open themselves up to power shots simply to score points with a jab. Also with the open fingered gloves it would be much easier to clinch an infighter and nullify their attack.

Feel free to jump in and remember the more delusional your answer the more points you will score. However you will get negative points for saying it would look like _ing _un, although I have to admit that that is a very delusional statement, so maybe you would get points, but only if mean it and donít do any form of the _un. Oh yeah, be sure to list you favorite boxing linage. I am a huge fan of Grandmaster George Forman.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've thought about this before, and I honestly think boxers would punch more like Chuck Liddell if they used smaller gloves. Padded gloves prolong the fight and boxers will gas if they go all out too long looking for the knockout. This leads to drawn out technical matches.

With the smaller gloves, like you said, jabs would mostly go away, and the KO would come quicker and easier. People trash talk Chuck for his sloppy boxing, but there's no question the guy trains for power. And he punches in flurries of power shots looking for the KO.

My lineage? I am a disciple of Shidoshi Jones, Jr.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:11pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I think the jab would become more important, not less. Even with the larger gloves a good jab hurts; with smaller gloves it would only be nastier. You'll see boxers target their opponents eye round after round so that the cumulative damage will really weaken their opponet. Jabs are for this as it is but they'd be a lot more dramatic with light weight gloves.I also think we'd see shorter matches with a lot more visible damage and a lot more stops due to cuts. You'd also see more knock outs. I'm not sure that it would effect clinching quite the way you say though, because you'd still have to get your arms around your opponent to stop the attacks and get the ref. to break it up.

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr/Madam Moderator

Why has this thread be moved? I am serious. I was joking around in the post but I really do think this would be an interesting thread. I had done something like this in Strikestan a while back and it got a lot of good responses. So please let me know what the issue is. I am confused.

Mike t.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    You'll see boxers target their opponents eye round after round so that the cumulative damage will really weaken their opponet.

I don't think there would be "round after round" the vast majority of the time with the smaller gloves. I think the likelihood of the KO would increase so much that fighters wouldn't be able to afford to gamble on jabs adding up in later rounds. They'd have to get the KO before they got knocked out themselves.

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I don't think there would be "round after round" the vast majority of the time with the smaller gloves. I think the likelihood of the KO would increase so much that fighters wouldn't be able to afford to gamble on jabs adding up in later rounds. They'd have to get the KO before they got knocked out themselves.
    I tend to agree. I think the Iceman would be a good prototype for that type of boxing. I don't think it would completly like his style since you wouldn't have to worry about take downs and probably the hands would be held higher.

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Mr/Madam Moderator

Why has this thread be moved? I am serious. I was joking around in the post but I really do think this would be an interesting thread. I had done something like this in Strikestan a while back and it got a lot of good responses. So please let me know what the issue is. I am confused.

Mike t.

I( am an idiot. Please ignore my previous post, I now see where it was moved to. You are right o wise one, this is the correct forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:31pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gloves that they used in the early days during the transition to the Queensbury rules were about the size of modern speed bag gloves, I think that they were 3 or 4 ounces at most.

http://www.fitzsimmons.co.nz/html/ga...ges/glove.html

If anything I think that the jab would be even more effective since with lighter gloves you would cause more damage with it. When I say jab Iím thinking more along the lines of the old Jack Dempsey, falling step, (left jolt as he calls it) not a flicking measuring rangefinder without much on it. Jim Corbett, Jim Driscoll, and Joe Gans were champions from the early days who were known for their powerful straight lefts.

I think that if you went back to the rules and conditions of the early days of Boxing you would slowly begin to see a shift in tactics as fighters would begin to fight more and more like their early counterparts as they began to re-discover the styles and techniques that were proven effective under those conditions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:34pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    You might be right, but it would still be indispensable for both keeping distance and getting in close (as desired) as well as for setting up harder shots. I agree that it would reduce the amount of punches that were thrown just to score points, and that alone might reduce the number of jabs thrown, but at the same time it would make them a much more potent weapon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:39pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think lighter gloves would mean boxing would end up resembling the few clips I've seen from the bare knuckle days.

As for boxing lineage, I have none. But Ernie Shavers used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Mark
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast